back to article Queen's birthday honours shower knighthoods and gongs on tech's finest

The UK IT industry was plunged into paroxysms of modesty, humility and genuine self-effacement today, as the PRs got to work in the wake of the Queen’s birthday honours list. Tech luminaries made a good showing this year, from the lower rungs of BEMs and MBEs right up to dizzying heights of knighthoods. On which note, arise …

1. msknight

"Incoming...."

Debbie Bestwick... Team 17 founder - http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-nottinghamshire-36506546

1. WraithCadmus

Re: "Incoming...."

I wonder if you can date commentards by whether Team 17 makes them first think of Worms or Alien Breed?

2. Arthur the cat Silver badge

I wonder if you can date commentards by whether Team 17 makes them first think of Worms or Alien Breed?

You can date me as a crumbling wreck from the Dark Ages(*) because my reaction was "who?".

(*) When System/360 roamed the land and ICL still sold computers ruled by Hanoverians(**).

(**) Obscure crumbling wreck joke.

1. msknight

Ah... a Larry The Laffer techy....

3. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Lol, British Empire

Sir Jimmy Savile

Sir Philip Green

Nuff said.

1. Naselus

Re: Lol, British Empire

It must be said, my first thought on reading the article was 'I wonder how many of them will turn out to be kiddy fiddlers or nicking the pension pot in 5 years".

1. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

Re: Lol, British Empire

"'I wonder how many of them will turn out to be kiddy fiddlers or nicking the pension pot in 5 years".

Sir Tony Cleaver, formerly of the Parish of I've Been Moved.

4. David Roberts
    Mushroom

No gong

For !Bong!?

[No, I don't know how to do a reverse bang on this bloody tablet.]

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: No gong

I think most tablets are voice controlled these days.

Dear aunt, let's set so double the killer delete select all

2. Solmyr ibn Wali Barad

Re: No gong

Copy-paste from his last column would suffice.

¡Bong!

m.theregister.co.uk/2016/06/10/dont_let_the_barmy_brexiteers_wreck_digital_europe/

5. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

CBEs, MBEs, OBEs, Knighthoods, Orders of the [whatever]... they're all meaningless.

I could just as well declare myself "Member of the Internet Empire," because it doesn't mean a damn thing.

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

They are only meaningless to you because you don't understand their meaning...

1. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

They are meaningless, because they been devalued by giving them to a bunch of worthless tossers over the years - mostly for services to whichever party happens to be in power at the time.

1. James Hughes 1

Whilst people still appreciate them, and are proud to receive them, they cannot be meaningless.

2. Pedigree-Pete

Commonwealth

Try saying that when HMQ goes to some remote Pacific Island and the locals go crazy with delight.

Not sure that happens much with Sarcose, Hollande, Merkel or Putin. PP

6. allthecoolshortnamesweretaken

Well, I wouldn't turn it down, to be honest. BTW, can I even get one at all as a non-Brit?

1. Vic

can I even get one at all as a non-Brit?

Yes, but there are restrictions on what you can do with it.

For example. Bob Geldof was given a KBE - which, if he were British, would make him Sir Bob. But as he is an Irish cirtizen, it doesn't; he is Bob Geldof KBE. Not that that stops anyone calling him "Sir Bob", of course...

Vic.

1. Mark 85
        Joke

You don't have to call me "sir". I'm not an officer. I'm enlisted and I work for a living.

2. Lars Silver badge

@vic, and Sir Bill (Gates) of course.? And no need to kill old traditions.

7. John Brown (no body) Silver badge
    Devil

Raspberry Pi founder Eden Upton

Who's he? Why didn't Eben get one?

1. Pedigree-Pete
      Happy

Re: Raspberry Pi founder Eden Upton

Perhaps they are saving him for the New Year Gongathon. PP

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon