back to article Early supplier on UK.gov's G-Cloud slams 'dying' framework

G-Cloud pioneer and small hosting biz Memset has slammed the framework as failing in its original vision to "punch through archaic government procurement requirements" with an online “App Store”. Founder of Memset Kate Craig-Wood got involved in the project in 2009 as technical architecture co-lead prior to the framework being …

1. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Yay, all our data will be in a US data centre, and Amazon will have our government by the balls.

2. a_yank_lurker

Problem?

"buyers continuing to behave in the same old way" - Government procurement in the US is a minefield of Byzantine regulations combined with general stupidity. Expecting a bureaucrat to change is almost always a mistake; they love their inane regulations.

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: Problem?

I like it when government regulations set an exact specification with no room for technological progress.

Must use SHA1. No more, no less.

1. Bob Dole (tm)

Re: Problem?

You should understand that those regulations were established by the providers who managed to become friends with government people.

I'm in tech and we also sell to government entities. It's painful just how little the majority of government buyers understand about the kit they "ask for". It's far easier to just convince them that "we will make not only make your day to day easier but your bosses will think you are a rock star" and then give them the system specs so they can copy/paste that directly into an RFP. Of course, those system specs are very narrowly defined in certain areas in order to preclude as much competition as possible.

It's a rare day when we come across people who actually know exactly what it is they are trying to do and are smart about it. Also, I'd love to say that this is limited to government interaction, but it's not. Any large scale organization is filled with people that really don't have the faintest idea of what they are doing and so they rely on "trusted" vendors to lead them. As long as no one is yelling at them and they are able to get home in time to watch GoT then it's all good.

2. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

@a_yank_lurker - Re: Problem?

Oh, no! Not when it comes to purchasing MS-Ofice or Windows licenses. In this case all goes smoothly like a hot knife slicing butter for all the rest you're correct, it takes ages to purchase a pencil.

3. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

The usual way for a new company to get into the government market is to hire a couple of senior civil servants recently retired from the relevant department(s). Remember that most of these guys went to public school and they believe totally in the primacy of networking with the right kind of people as the only way to arrive at correct decisions.

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

D'uh

That's what they did.

4. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

With my evil IT Marketing hat on.

Sounds like they should leverage the effort they made to meet HMG standards and tell people

At trade shows, through their online blog, their linked in entries and other social media.

Otherwise they can go on being excellent in a corner. Their choice.

Now I have to go.

Orphan puppies don't just drown themselves.

1. Roj Blake Silver badge

Re: With my evil IT Marketing hat on.

Memset do all of those things that you mention.

2. I am the liquor

Re: With my evil IT Marketing hat on.

Or by getting a friendly journalist to write an article about them.

5. tim 13
    FAIL

I read it as Mumsnet...

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: Mumsnet

Yeah... who Memset?

6. bep

Whatever it is

Their problem seems to be right here:

"We briefly tried hiring some 'traditional' salespeople, but their tactics were incompatible with our high integrity and our technical, introverted culture was at odds with their own."

What they needed was project manager types who could rein in the worst excesses of the extroverts while simultaneously succeeding in getting the introverts to actually deliver. This is a speciality but such people do exist and they should have hired a couple. The majority of government 'red tape' is actually the result of legislation intended to ensure public money isn't wasted (faint hope) while meeting environmental, probity and other requirements. You can't just wish this stuff away, it has to be taken into account and dealt with.

7. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

I'm amazed they won any new business through G-Cloud. Most of the time it's just a way for civil servants to give new jobs to a supplier they're already in bed with, without the inconvenience of having to go through competitive tendering.

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon