back to article Samsung to acquire Joyent

Container pioneer and Sun alumni lair Joyent has been bought by Samsung. Since the buyer is a world-spanning industrial powerhouse, the acquisition is too small for Samsung to have to talk about the price. Joyent's probably most famous as the first corporate steward of node.js and one of the language's largest users. It's …

1. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Joyent like Soyent ?

Will they eat their own Dogfood ?

2. Matthew Smith

Mode.js

Meh. Lets hope that Samsung decide node.js does not coincide with their corporate goals, and deletes the projects. Then we can go on to the next big thing (Or the previous big thing. I've still got a stack of Ruby On Rails books).

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: Mode.js

Catch up with the news, Joyent was deleted (*) from node.js for being a tit (**)

* A new outside foundation was created to take the reins when Joyent fumbled and fouled out with slow progress and too-ready slams against individuals (and competitors).

** I'm sure they were simply directing their attention to other technical areas... perhaps selling themselves?

3. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Shame it wasn't Apple that bought them

I'm not sure Samsung has the interest of Joyent in mind. Not that Apple would, but I think Apple would have been more likely to find a good and interesting way to use and expand Joyent.

I should probably note that I've been a fan of Joyent for years, and hope they continue to do amazing things.

4. Michel001

keep on the good work

Hi,

I'm a happy user of SmartOS virtualization servers for years and must say that Joyent has really been an amazing company that contributed a lot to the improvement of several open source projects: Illumos, dtrace, zfs

Their obsession for performance, stability and system elegance has been inspiring.

Running critical server on their OS a real pleasure.

I hope they can continue this for the years to come from within Samsung.

5. knarf

Will it be know as Joy Division internally

Cos that would be cool

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon

Other stories you might like