back to article Embiggening AWS doubles its UK sales to £254m

Cloud slinging (and tax avoiding) Amazon Web Services nearly doubled its revenue in the UK last year, pulling in £254m. According to analyst TechMarketView's annual Software, IT & Business Process Services (SITS) report, the cloudy biz pushed up sales locally by 45 per cent, a foothold that will likely increase once AWS sets …

1. Arthur the cat Silver badge
    WTF?

"tax evading"

Think you need to talk to your legal bods pronto. Did you really mean to publish an article accusing AWS of a criminal offence?

1. billse10

Re: "tax evading"

Well, it def says tax evading. For a statement like that,there must have been a conviction (of Amazon Web Services), or surely it's libel. It's certainly not reasonable comment, or anything like that ..

2. ofdustandnations

I presume they meant tax avoidance (avoidance is legal; evasion is illegal).

Quick, get out the tippex!

3. Sirius Lee

When I read the first line I went straight to comments but you'd already made the point. It's a doubly incompetent comment because AWS is a division of Amazon Inc. so cannot evade tax because it's not a separate legal entity with a duty to provide a corporation tax return.

It is disappointing to me that people feel compelled to make such statements and that The Register's editor's let the comment through. But if such statements are to be made, it would be good that the comments are at least feasible.

What's that saying? It's better to be silent and appear foolish than to open your mouth and remove all doubt.

2. Arthur the cat Silver badge

Aaaand ...

they've changed it to "tax avoidance".

Take a bit more care in the future, your readers don't want you going the Gawker route.

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon

Other stories you might like