back to article Gartner's hype cycle turned upside down to assess Brexit

Gartner veep and fellow Mark Raskino has applied the analyst firm's famed Hype Cycle to Brexit. Gartner's Hype Cycle plots technologies' fortunes, asserting that after birth they ascend to a “peak of inflated expectations” before descending into a “trough of disillusionment.” The market eventually figures out what a technology …

1. Flocke Kroes Silver badge

Gartner predicting a return to rationality?

Now I am really worried.

2. AMBxx Silver badge
    Thumb Up

Stages of grief

For remainers, it would appear that the stages of grief are more relevant. Currently at depression, though some have finally reached acceptance.

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: Stages of grief

Meanwhile the Brexitards are still suck at denial.

"What do you mean it won't actually stop the immigrants???"

1. Steve Davies 3 Silver badge

Like Trump stating that the day after he becomes Commande in Chief, all crime and violence in the USA will stop.

Really? Are you sure about that?

As for BREXITitious, the diagnosis has been made but the implications of losing an arm and a leg still have not sunk in for many. ergo, we are still on the downward slope. Until we start to see the crappiness of the deal offered by Brussels - Free movement of Labour or 100% tarrifs[1]? What is it to be? we won't hit rock bottom.

[1] It might not be that bad depending who we are negociating with. It is is a german then they will be more pragmatic. If it is a frenchman they'll want to stick it to us just because they can.

1. AMBxx Silver badge
          Mushroom

Sorry - I was wrong - many are still stuck at anger.

2. Anonymous Coward
          Anonymous Coward

Trump stopping crime

Did he actually say he would stop ALL crime? More likely he claimed it would drop with him in office. But here's the thing, murder and all types of violent crime are lower now than they were during the Bush administration. And were lower in Bush's administration than in Clinton's. And were lower in Clinton's administration than they were in Bush I's and Reagan's. Because violent crime and murder in the US peaked several decades ago.

Same with police deaths - those have been declining for at least 50 years, and today being a cop is not a particularly dangerous job. Other jobs like roofer, garbage collector, farmer, truck driver, taxi driver, and a half dozen other jobs are more dangerous than being a police officer.

Trump is setting himself up for an easy success - he would be able to point to declining crime rates and claim it is because of him. If for some reason crime spiked a bit he could still weasel out and say something like "down 50% compared to 15 years ago" or whatever.

2. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

"What do you mean it won't actually stop the immigrants???"

Anyone who thought it would is an idiot, but hey!, at least they voted usefully :)

1. Brian Allan 1

At least now the UK can do whatever they wish without EU intervention. A very good start!

1. anonymous boring coward Silver badge

That is a fantastic point you have there!

Let's start by introducing GM crops, get the last damn cod out of that water, and get rid of those irritating workers' rights.

2. Paul Shirley

Some of us are well past acceptance and in “put on the popcorn“ mode. So much to wait for like the moment the electors realise the bloody nose they gave elites is mostly spray from stabbing their own nuts , they just shuffled the same corrupt pack of elite hyenas.

...and of course watching May destroy Boris and his pirate brexiteers will be irresistible.

1. AMBxx Silver badge
        Megaphone

Good to see you're spending your time wisely. The rest of us are busy building our businesses now we don't have to worry about French farmers when negotiating trade deals.

In any situation like this, it won't be quite as good as the winners promised, nor as bad as the losers threatened.

At least you have a ready made excuse for every setback you suffer in the next 5 years.

1. Disk0
          Coat

Not so fast, French farmers LOVE to haggle and might just beat you to the cinch...

1. Phil O'Sophical Silver badge

French farmers LOVE to haggle

If you consider going on strike, and blockading roads with manure or burning tyres "haggling", that is.

3. allthecoolshortnamesweretaken

What about the bargaining stage?

1. AMBxx Silver badge

All that stuff about having a 2nd referendum...

2. Paul Shirley

Any time you want to sign A50 it can begin ;)

4. MyffyW Silver badge

Attitude of this particular remainer:

Like those days after Dunkirk - we certainly wouldn't choose to be here right now. But we are, and we might as well get on with making it work. We've built from less and recovered from worse.

3. Pascal Monett Silver badge

Hold your nerve and do not overreact

Words to apply in every situation.

4. Doctor Syntax Silver badge

When Gartner tell you it won't be as bad as expected you should really start to worry.

5. Phil O'Sophical Silver badge

Y2K

Y2K wasn't a "false fire drill", it was a very real one which only passed without major incident because of all the hard work done during the years running up to it.

But this is Gartner, of course.

1. anonymous boring coward Silver badge

Re: Y2K

"Y2K wasn't a "false fire drill", it was a very real one which only passed without major incident because of all the hard work done during the years running up to it."

Never let facts get in the way of a plausible sounding but groundless theory.

6. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Dampening

Wow, so people respond just like a shock absorber your car's suspension!

1. theblackhand

Re: Dampening

From my reading of the BOFH - sort of.

People tend to be quite good at absorbing the first bump, but become a little spongy after that...

2. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

A bit too soon with the "traffic over people" joke buddy

1. John Brown (no body) Silver badge

Don't be so sensitive. It was comment about the resilience of people and their ability to bounce back in the face of adversity. "car" analogies are a favourite here. I very much doubt the poster even gave a thought to Nice. The vast majority of the world heard about, it were shocked and outraged over it, and a week later barely give it a thought unless it comes up on the news again.

Grief is an odd thing and doesn't have much of a long term effect on those not directly involved. Yes, it's still a shocking event to me, even now, but I'm not constantly thinking about or wondering if something I say might be taken the "wrong way" by someone else.

7. Brian Allan 1

Brexit will ultimately be a very good thing for the UK! Just look at all the advantages of not having to follow the EU down the economic death spiral...

1. Disk0

Right, full vertical is so much more efficient...

8. Disk0
    Coat

I guess Gartner did not dare draw the real curve...

...for fear of the Backslash

:\

Also, wasn't the process description already upgraded to "Brexageddon"...?

Mine's the one without any character whatsoever....

9. bdeluca

The shocks have happened yet, with cameron failing to exercise article 50.

The next shocks will be

- Article 50

- The EU blocking EEA membership without free movement.

- The first of the large companies to announce closing/downgrading their UK office.

- The formal announcement of recession.

- Scotland announcing the independence vote.

- Scotland's independence (I am 50-50) on that actually happening.

10. WageSlave

The shocks haven't happened yet ...

Working in tech industry, where projects gets shelved at the first sign of trouble, I know what a hole in the business any project delays can cause.

And don't get me started on overall economic confidence, and the willingness to commit to major purchases either as consumers or as businesses!! (e.g. It will be interesting to see the effect on this years' new car sales when they get reported; the building trade has taken a hit already, property-based funds - especially commercial property - stalled their trading in the light of the uncertainty, etc., etc.).

So even if we recover to a similar level of demand after - ooh - let's say a 12 months pause, that is still a 12-month dip / major hole in our business and household budgets.

For businesses that only gets reported at the end of their financial year we're still c. 9 months away from any real kind of reaction results.

That and the hole in people's pay bonuses, commission or dividends, willingness to spend vs. save every penny just in case, will mean an overall drop in consumer activity.

And that spells recession for a while.

So tax take drops, which puts a further dampener on any recovery - let alone whatever worse trade deal we may or may not be able to negotiate.

*sigh*

The only light at the end of the tunnel is our currency can devalue (which we had already), and ultra-low interest rates mean the cost of borrowing & mortgages are low.

But I think Gartner have called it correctly: long-term it all means a drop in overall activity, which ultimately means household buying power for everyone is a little worse than it was a year ago.

As they say, be careful what you wish for.

11. anonymous boring coward Silver badge

Some brilliant analysis by the best minds in the world..

Oh wait.. We haven't left the EU yet, have we?

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon

Other stories you might like