back to article UK govt digi-chief confirms he is standing down after ... 9 months

Stephen Foreshew-Cain, the head of the UK's Government Digital Service, has stepped down from his position after just nine months in the role – amid rumours that GDS is for the chop. In a blog post Foreshew-Cain confirmed that he had handed in his notice to civil service head John Manzoni. "I’ve been fortunate to work with …

1. BearishTendencies

Good......

Dismantle it. And Crown Commercial Service.

Monoliths based on no plan and no delivery.

2. Anonymous Coward
    Trollface

Oh nos!

Without the GDS, who will mandate 18pt Comic Sans is the standard on govt web-sites?

3. BebopWeBop
    Devil

One source said getting rid of GDS altogether would amount to throwing out the baby with the bathwater.

He said: "There's been longstanding frustration in a lot of the departments about being lectured by GDS but without them having the knowledge and expertise to help.

Can't quite get the meaning here. OK, I take it that GDS could be likened to a very very young baby born into a no hope household, but that is the only way they are dumping the baby in favour of the much needed bathwater (if analogous to essential services)?

4. Craig Cockburn

Missed opportunity

GDS had the opportunity to do more, better and cheaper. See blog post from earlier this year.

GDS Reboot

5. Anonymous Curd

I for one will be quite happy to see the back of GDS. No single organisation has caused more damage to UK.gov IT for years. They had a particular talent for strolling into a project, telling everyone they'd done it all wrong, forcing the Cabinet Office to push the reset button and fucking off to leave everyone else to pick up the pieces while they swanned about writing blogs on the right way to manage your sticky notes.

Wonderful idea, terrible execution.

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

No single organisation has caused more damage to UK.gov IT for years.

Surely that would be Microsoft?

6. Jedit Silver badge
    Angel

It's Moore's Law in action

The number of ex-GDS project managers will double every 18 months. And government project managers are like transistors - they do one job, and do it exactly as badly as they're instructed.

7. Andy The Hat Silver badge

Severance?

As he's left after only 9 months does El-Honcho get a fat severance cheque?

8. Amiga

A lot of hate

I know that the GDS is arrogant, but they've done a lot of good. They're amazing at structuring content that solves problems (and testing it). Granted, they're not so hot on the larger technical projects and deserve to be reigned in on those.

Parts of our government's digital output is world class (although most countries are behind Estonia, weirdly), and that's thanks to the GDS.

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon

Other stories you might like