back to article RM to resell Apple, Lenovo, HP, Dell to YOUR children

With revenues down and education spending stuck in the doldrums, supplier RM has hit upon a novel idea to expand - reselling low-margin kit from the vendors that helped sink its own hardware production line. The one-time system builder powered down its own manufacturing facility in Oxford in late 2013 after mounting losses, …

1. Lee D Silver badge

I work in schools.

I made a career out of going into schools, throwing the RM junk software and hardware out, replacing it (or at the very least formatting over it with bare Windows) with something half-the-cost that worked better, was as secure, and did everything you'd expect.

I once received - out of 5 new RM PC's - 1 machine with no motherboard jumpers (critical beeps on boot, refused to do anything, nothing rattling about in box), 1 PC that six-months-later all the capacitors went in it (RM support suggestion - buy a PCI USB card, then a PCI network card, then a PCI video cards because THEY KNEW THE ORDER THAT THE CAPS WOULD BLOW and they wouldn't replace until they'd all blown!), and 3 PC's that were configured in the BIOS to keep the fans on minimum, not issue overheat warnings, not shutdown on overheat, etc. Lucky I checked!

In the intervening years, I managed to bring an RM CC4 network to its knees by deploying a "Connect package" (really an MSI with particular pathnames in it) with a space in the filename (literally every machine crashed on reboot, refused to boot into Windows, the servers went down, couldn't remove the package, etc. etc. etc.). They patched that later, but what the hell? And an RM is the only machine I've ever seen in the thousands and thousands I've dealt with that actually EXPLODED - a PSU just decided to go bang, smoke and start flaming (in a school) half-way through booting Windows. That's not counting the "death shields" they had to issue for their 48x CD drives that let you eject the disk while it was still spinning resulting in instant CD-shurikens coming at small children, especially if the disk was somehow damaged and you pressed eject to stop it and it shattered as it came out...

Their laptops that they used to sell? I actually argued so much over how useless they were that they got in their guy who covers all of England RM tech support. And then overheard him in a conversation that basically went "So the wireless drivers don't work?" "No." "And we can't upgrade them?" "No, it crashes the network software with newer drivers" "So it can't work at the current moment at all? And we just sold it to them?" "No". "Okay, don't tell them, we'll just say it's their wireless access points" (also RM supplied, but he didn't know that!).

I can tell you many more stories of cap failures (far too many on their cheap boards), or the RM tech support who sent back three faulty computers FIVE TIMES when the school shipped it to them for repair - the error? CMOS Checksum Failure. 3 x CR2032 and they worked for years after that, but apparently that was beyond RM tech support on no less than FIVE separate returns!.

I made a lot of money out of how useless they were, and even their "exclusive" Borough tech support arrangements didn't help them because they were just that useless. I used to manage upwards of 10 schools in a week and 8 of those eventually stopped paying their RM support fees and paid me half of that instead and got better service.

In the end, it wore me down though and I just went with old clients who knew what they were doing. Having the same arguments every year with headteachers about "Why don't we go RM like my old school?" got boring and I just stayed with the schools that understood.

In the interview for my last two places (independent prep schools), they actually asked my opinion on RM in the interview. In both cases I was hired because of my history of removing their junk and making things actually work as expected. The only legacy in my current school is the RM logo branded on the covers of some network points (which have since been re-run or had the modules replaced). And I met the guy who apparently designed the RM logo. He's currently selling 3D printers while living off his RM pension. So that went well.

And, yes, I have been in an interview where I asked their opinion about RM kit I had spotted (you can see it a mile off) and they were favourable, on the exact systems I knew were problematic, which led me to abandon the application there and then. I took it to mean that the guy had no clue and/or only bought what was sold to him.

Honestly, their hardware was junk, their software is still junk (but moving to web junk at least), their support was useless, their network tools were pathetic (RM SystemGuard - Google it like almost all the kids of the era did and could get admin on any machine from a daily password published on the Internet generated from an easy-to-remember formula) and inferior to just a basic AD setup with proper permissions, and they were pushed as "the" place to get kit from. It never was, as far as I could tell, unless you were someone who knew nothing about IT.

Why anyone touches them I can't work out.

One exception? RM Maths was, technical installation/running issues aside, quite good for teaching kids maths. That's now a web product.

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

I've had a far more limited but very similar experience.

The school seemed to change headteacher every other year and every time we had the same conversation. It got boring.

Too much hassle and too many layers of red tape before they would/could buy anything, so we gave up in the end.

2. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

The primary school where I used to be a parent governor wanted a file and print server for the pupils. RM quoted about £6K for the hardware, Windows server + CALs together with a proprietary front-end user manager. We burned through about £600 for a Linux-based server + spare barebones cold standby chassis.

2. BebopWeBop
    Facepalm

So how

For example are they going to beat Apple (or for that case John Lewis - who resell at the same price, but I assume have their own internally funded insurance to extend the warranty, and offer very good service) for an online sale? Refuse to provide admin for non RM machines? Seems a little desperate, but then I have not seen their calculations, although this is based on their management record, not stunning.

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: So how

>For example are they going to beat Apple

They will just become an Approved Retailer and Apple Solutions Expert -Education. Apple want the sales and produce some pretty good management software etc but are happy to take a few % points hit to avoid the hassle - they had a very bad experience with UK education back in the Apple Xemplar era.

RM made their money (historically) by doing big deals at political (LEA) level when funding was centrally controlled or arbitrated (NGfL etc). The new culture of MATs (Wild West businesses which manage groups of Academies at often ridiculous expense) creates smaller structures but ones through which it is much easier for companies to grease the necessary mouse wheels.

2. Stuart Castle Silver badge

Re: So how

John Lewis and Apple don't sell direct to educational establishments (which is RM's primary market). Apple did until April this year, but don't now. Which, from the point of view of an educational establishment, is a shame as Apple's prices were not only very competitive but also included 3 years of Apple Care (their extended warranty) for nothing.

3. Steve Davies 3 Silver badge

Does RM now stand for

Redundant Merchandising?

There are some less flattering uses of RM I could post but won't. You can use your imagination.

I had hoped that these dinosaurs would have died out by now but apparently they have not.

4. druck Silver badge
    Coat

Schools should have..

...stuck with Acorn. ARM based tablets would have happened a decade earlier, and UK IT education would have still been the envy of the world.

5. 45RPM Silver badge

RM committed suicide

RM killed itself. It had a ready market, and it could have done something truly innovative by selling a range of PCs and Tablets built around ARM technology (perhaps even the Raspberry Pi), at a much lower cost than its competitors. Instead, it did what British businesses of the last forty years have always done. It listened to the accountants and threw in the towel for the sake of looking proactive and successful in one year’s financial report.

So sad. So utterly pathetic. What a waste. I don’t blame Lenovo, Dell, Apple - or any other successful business. They only did what RM (and Acorn, Sinclair, Apricot and so forth) should have done. But our backsliding businesses are run by moronic accountants in the John Harvey ‘sell it all’ Jones mold.

And now we’re losing ARM too. Seriously, balls to this country. Whatever we do, as long as we let ourselves be run by accountants, we’re screwed.

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: RM committed suicide

>RM killed itself. It had a ready market, and it could have done something truly innovative by selling a range of PCs and Tablets built around ARM technology (perhaps even the Raspberry Pi), at a much lower cost than its competitors.

Actually it killed the opposition - Apple Xemplar had half the school market and a prescient range of ARM based products in the mid-90s. RM (and others) simply undercut and out dealt them.

By the dawning Millennium - NGfL/WOMPI era - with many millions on the table it was RM at the head of the PC group lobbying Government and the BECTA quango which essentially wiped Acorn/RISC/Apple from the map.

Labour policy supremo Tomlinson and schools minister Adonis later (and entirely unrelated and coincidentally of course, I'm not not suggesting any impropriety) got seats of the board of RM - latter is still there.

RM is not dead - it will do fine in the new era of Academies, they're very good for business.

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon

Other stories you might like