back to article Oracle Java patch problem? Browsium rolls management fix

Released in 1995, Java went from a language running in a browser to the ubiquitous platform of today, one which underpins the entire industry and with deep tentacles in enterprise IT. After more than 20 years, Java remains one of the world’s most popular programming languages and employed by nine million devs. Java runs on 97 …

1. Anonymous Coward
    Unhappy

Java runs on 97 per cent of PCs in the enterprise

Oh how I wish I could dump the sack of shit...

2. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Java in the Enterprise

“People believed they’d move from Java to HML5 but the pace of change for line-of-business apps in the enterprise is very slow.”

In a major teaching hospital trust in England, the Patient Administration System that runs the whole place requires (drumroll please) Oracle Java 1.6.0_22 (build 04), 32 bit and ActiveState perl v5.12.2. Absolutely no other build will actually run the thing.

This is some god-awful American system that used to be called MUMPS Ulticare, but now has this Java monstrosity on the front end screen scraping the dumb terminal system underneath so it's now called Quadramed QCPR.

Millions of patient records are managed through the thing. It's terrifying.

1. AMBxx Silver badge

Re: Java in the Enterprise

MUMPS - wow, not heard that for a long time. In my days at Seagate Software (remember them!), it was the only database that we couldn't find an ODBC for.

1. Tom 7

Re: Java in the Enterprise

I did some MUMPs once - not for long though, my lower intestine tried to rip my eyes out while reading the manuals.

3. J. Cook Silver badge
    Mushroom

MUMPS? You poor sod!

Mumps (now called Cache) is a horror show and a canonical example of how NOT to design a programming language. (It makes the Obfuscated C contest look verbose in comparison)

(Google "The Daily WTF mumps" for several articles about it)

Dust off, Nuke it from Orbit, it's the only way to be sure.

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: MUMPS? You poor sod!

If only. the Trust "upgraded" to this thing in 2004 by choice.

All of the executives were taken by the vendor on multiple "fact finding" trips to very nice resorts in the US before the purchase decision was made, but I'm sure that this had nothing to do with the final decision to pay millions for this POS.

4. Dick Knuckle

Java + Tomcat

Proof that you can plait shit.

We need Rick Grimes to sort out Flash and Java. He is excellent at killing the walking dead.

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon

Other stories you might like