back to article NASA dangles ONE MILLION DOLLARS for virtual Mars robots

NASA has announced a million-dollar prize it will award to whomsoever can program a virtual robot to get stuff done ahead of a crewed mission to Mars. Contestants will work with is NASA's “Robonaut 5”, aka “Valkyrie”, an anthropomorphic robot that's already been used aboard the International Space Station. Those who enter the …

1. Haku

I'm going to submit a copy of WALL-E

What do you mean Pixar/Disney own it? Did you not see how it brought the human race back to Earth??

2. allthecoolshortnamesweretaken

If the robot had an AI system that really was AI, all you'd have to do is to give it a copy of The Martian and the manuals for the tech sent to Mars.

3. Ralph the Wonder Llama
    Meh

Shouldn't that be...

...one MEEEEELION dollars?

4. phuzz Silver badge
    Alien

"a bandwidth constraint of between one and two megabits per second"

Ok, that's not terrible in terms of bandwidth, but imagine the latency! At the wrong time of year your ping would be something like 2,700,000ms

5. Simon Harris
    Coat

I'm going to build a robot donkey...

...so I can get my ass to Mars.

Mine's the one with the nasally extracted tracking device in the pocket.

6. theonlyoneofme

Qualification Tasks 1 and 2 hahahahahaha

Wow, ......

I am actually mortified at the stupidity of NASA ....

A million space-bucks... haha

to develop a functioning AI to carry out the next two tasks...

6.1.1 Task 1

The first task will require teams to find a series of lights on a panel. R5 will start standing in front of a textured panel that contains a number of colored lights. One at a time, the lights will turn on in a random pattern. Each light will remain on for fixed period of time, between 5 and 20 seconds. The light pattern starts once simulation is run, and will continue until simulation is complete.

Successful completion of Qualification Task 1 will entail:

1. Correctly identify ten lights in a row.

2. Light identification consists of an RGB value and position in R5’s head frame.

a. Both the RGB and position values are allowed an error tolerance that is TBD.

6.1.2 Task 2

The second task requires teams to press a button that opens a door, and then walk through the doorway. The button will be located on a wall and will be brightly colored and textured. R5 will start in front of the wall. The doorway will be located next to the button, and will open when the button is pushed.

Successful completion of the Qualification Task 2 will entail:

1. Pushing the button.

2. Walking through the doorway, where R5 must walk one (1) meter beyond the door without falling.

Ok answer to 6.1.1 .... code compiler directly attached to light panel that records every light on/off change and recording the time between state change... exports to encrypted text file and transmits to earth in real time ... repeats process 5 times sending information to different terminal at NASA .. terminals at NASA then verify by checking data is the same... appends all actions to log file in real time and transmits that at end of sequence .... error possibility minimal ... cost ... Cents... things that can go wrong .. negligible

6.1.2.1 .......... button ? forget it .... motion sensor .... door opens due to proximity of sensor

6.1.2.2........... technically impossible to answer without full technical specification of robot and full specification of structure ....

Reminds me of when NASA spent millions on developing a pen that would write anywhere .. underwater .. in space upside down .... the russions spent nothing and used a pencil ... hahaha

1. User McUser

Re: Qualification Tasks 1 and 2 hahahahahaha

NASA spent millions on developing a pen

Actually NASA paid only $2.95 each for the original "Space Pens" they used (about $21 in 2016 dollars.)

http://www.snopes.com/business/genius/spacepen.asp

7. John Brown (no body) Silver badge
    WTF?

Darpa?

Isn't this a slimmed down and easier challenge than the already existing DARPA one?

The only real difference is engineering the robot to work in a nearly airless environment at very low temperatures and that's already an in-house skill NASA has.

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon

Other stories you might like