back to article Cisco's upsell plan: tell you your old kit is not as secure as its new kit

Cisco is having its super-colossal global sales conference this week and some of the 20,000 staff are letting some details of future Borg strategies slip onto social media. Chris Dedicoat, the Borg's EVP for worldwide sales, snuck out this hint that Cisco's sales force will soon be saying that your current kit may be very good …

1. Allan George Dyer
    Coat

Impressive?

"lanyards used at the conference, ... that contains a light and can be controlled from without. With impressive results, as the video below shows."

I hope that was sarcasm... surely an indistinguishable result could be obtained by a random flasher in each one? Wake me up when each one can establish its location accurately enough to show a readable message across the hall, and they are still cheap enough to throw away in a lanyard.

2. Dwarf

Seen this tactic before ?

For some reason the Bates 9000 sketch from the onion seems relevant

3. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

lanyards used at the conference, ... that contains a light and can be controlled from without

With this as a demo just think what 'fun' the script kiddies can have with whole cities full of 'smart meters'.

It's another fine mess the previous government got us into.

4. adam payne

"Chris Dedicoat, the Borg's EVP for worldwide sales, snuck out this hint that Cisco's sales force will soon be saying that your current kit may be very good at shuffling bits, but could do with a security upgrade."

That's nothing new, Cisco have been trying that line on for years.

5. returnofthemus

This Man has the Plan

Chris Dedicoat,

PURE GENIUS!

1. Nuff Said

Re: This Man has the Plan

"Ciscodcloud" - is it me, or does it sound a little fishy?

And didn't Coldplay do something similar to the lanyards at Glastonbury this year?

6. Crazy Operations Guy

It'll take them quite some time to get me to let go of my current kit.

It'll be a cold day in hell before they'll get me to part with my pile of 2514's with their two AUI ports. They are capable of IPv6 and multi-path routing, not much else is really needed, even now.

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon

Other stories you might like