back to article Nimble Storage ticks over nicely but will shareholders want more revs?

Nimble Storage's revenue of $97.1m for the second quarter of its fiscal year 2017 beat its guidance of $93m - $96m, which is good, and it generated a loss of $40m; better than the previous quarter's $42.7m loss but worse than the $30.1m it lost in Q2 last year. On the annual compare, revenues were up 21.2 per cent – excellent …

1. Throatwarbler Mangrove Silver badge
    FAIL

Doomed

Despite the awesomeness of their technology, I can't help but feel that Nimble is doomed. With a quarterly net burn rate of $40M, they've better have a ton of cash in the bank or hope for Dell to buy them.

Also, it's no surprise that they've been getting twice the revenues from all-flash as from hybrid, given the price differential between those two technologies.

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: Doomed

You're combining two metrics here. Net Income and cash burn rate. Cash burn was $4M in Q2, bringing cash on hand to $194M. Net income was negative $40M, but $23M of that was stock based compensation. (Disclosure: Nimble employee)

1. Throatwarbler Mangrove Silver badge
        Thumb Up

Re: Doomed

Okay, that's a useful clarification, thank you.

2. robertcirca

40 millions are gone

"Net income was negative $40M, but $23M of that was stock based compensation."

Come on, when 40.000.000 are gone, they are gone. This company will not survive another five years.

Actually I am quite amazed that they still exist.

1. Anonymous Coward
          Anonymous Coward

Re: 40 millions are gone

While I don't think Nimble will be gone in 5 years, I do think they're being severely outrun by Pure.

I'm looking over Pure's earnings announcement as I type this, and I'm amazed at how much they continue to grow. Even though Nimble's announcement a couple days ago was decent, and I do think they have a solid and broader product portfolio they could capitalize on, I have doubts as to if they can catch up. Their AFA may be too little, too late.

If they can't make a DRAMATIC increase in revenue by capitalizing on their product portfolio over the next 9 months or so (a full year of AFA sales), and start closing the revenue gap with Pure, then my guess is they'll always lag behind and be an "also ran".

But even if that happens, I don't think they'd go under. They'd just exist as yet another mid-market array vendor who happened to IPO. In other words...yawn.

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon