back to article Intel douses Wildfire ransomware as-a-service Euro menace

An alliance of cops and anti-malware experts have doused the Wildfire ransomware that plagued users in Belgium and the Netherlands. Wildfire is carried in spam messages and demands up to 1.5 Bitcoins of ransom for files to be decrypted. Security researchers have uploaded 1,600 decryption keys with more to come to the No More …

1. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

"for an investment of $6000"

"Criminals can net a conservative US$84,000 a month in the ransomware game for an investment of $6000, a whopping 1,425 per cent profit margin, Trustwave found..."

Fuck me, that's sobering. This is going to accelerate! Meantime whose got your back?.... Aging Politicians, / under-trained Police, AV firms busy mining your info...

1. Mark 85
      Black Helicopters

Re: "for an investment of $6000"

Meantime whose got your back?.... Aging Politicians, / under-trained Police, AV firms busy mining your info...

Why all of the national security agencies in various countries and their expertise in tracking such crims down, of course. Oh wait... they're busy elsewhere with citizen monitoring.

2. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: "for an investment of $6000"

*Fires up McAfee anti-virus*

But I have this. This'll help right? Right???

2. William 3 Bronze badge

Randsomeware, plausible deniability if the police demand your data under indefinite imprisonment?

Might have to have some abandoned randsomware ready to activate as a fallback solution to prevent the state from demanding I decrypt my data or they will be throwing me in jail indefinitely.

"Seriously Mr Policestate, I'd LOVE to be able to decrypt my data so you can mine it for information, however it seems that file I downloaded months ago was loaded with randsomeware from a criminal organisation that's long gone. There's no-one to pay to retrieve the key required to decrypt my data and I don't know what the password is either. I'm as gutted as you are about it Mr Policestate, honest I am Sir

But if you've got a spare 12 million years to try and crack it, could you provide a copy of the un-encrypted data once you have, I've foolishly not made any backups, and that would be fantastic of you.

Criminal scum eh. Pfft"

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon

Other stories you might like