back to article The survivors: Intel's Apollo Lake netbook CPUs stagger from Goldmont bloodbath

Amid the Kaby Lake noise this week, Intel slipped out six processors, codenamed Apollo Lake, for cheapo netbooks, tablet-laptop mutants and small PC boxes. These are 14nm low-power system-on-chips that use the x86 Goldmont architecture, and are branded Pentiums and Celerons. In April, Intel axed its Goldmont-based Broxton …

1. This post has been deleted by its author

2. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Apple to finally enter a (useable) netbook market?

With these specs even Apple might not turn their nose up at using them.

(Intel should have brought back the Centrino branding for these, Centrino ULV Pentium-m processors branding).

1. P. Lee

Re: Apple to finally enter a (useable) netbook market?

Isn't apple already their with their "one-usb-socket-for-everything" macbook?

Oh, wait, you said "usable" netbook...

2. Jon B

Re: Why name them Celeron?

Agree Centrino would be a better name. I always associate Celeron with cruddy cheapo systems.

3. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Not just Netbooks

The low end NUCs use chips like these too, e.g. NUC5CPYH uses Celeron N3050

You can put together a complete system, with 8GB RAM and a small SSD, for £200.

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: Not just Netbooks

Yeah, I was mulling getting a N3150 based Brix to replace an ageing laptop I use for general surfing and media stuff - might hold back for the later gen GPU on these.

2. Crazy Operations Guy

Re: Not just Netbooks

I've been using one to test out Linux distros (Still haven't found one that I like well enough to use as my main machine). Hardware is old enough that device drivers exist in the Open-Source world, but new enough that its representative of a newer system and can be used to test my newer peripherals.

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon

Other stories you might like