back to article Nutanix's $209m, $13-a-share IPO revealed in homework to watchdog

Hyperconverged upstart Nutanix has submitted more details about its forthcoming IPO to the US financial watchdog, the Securities and Exchange Commission (SEC). The San Jose-based biz will seek to raise up to $209,300,000 in the offering by selling 14,000,000 shares of Class A voting stock at a starting price of $11 to $13. An …

1. unredeemed

Do those figures provided take into account Dell probably ramping down Nutanix sales in favor of VXRail? What are they to Nutanix today, 20%-30% of revenue?

That's probably my biggest fear before investing in them. EMC had the same issue when Dell stopped selling their storage. It a while for EMC to get back on top, and they have much more resources and marketing dollars to make that happen.

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

What makes you think Dell will ramp down Nutanix? I just sat through a Dell presentation today on converged and hyper-converged infrastructure and they discussed everything from VSAN ready nodes to VX RACK node, VX RACK flex, Nutanix (XC brand), Microsoft Storage Spaces, Ceph, MSFT Cloud Platform and VX RAIL.

It looks like it's part of their offering for those customers that want non-vmware-centric hypervisors, such as Microsoft, KVM or Acropolis.

2. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Interesting to compare to Pure Storage IPO

When Pure filed their IPO, their sales and marketing expense exceeded actual revenue in 2013 and 2014 (it got down to 87% in 2015, but still very high). Comparatively, Nutanix Sales and Marketing expense as a percentage of revenue is running about 65% this year, down from 67% last year.

The point is, Nutanix is doing a much better job of controlling sales and marketing costs than Pure ever did. I was surprised.

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon

Other stories you might like