back to article Virgin Media costs balloon by MEEELLIONS in wake of Brexit

Costs at Virgin Media have so far risen by £7m this year following Brexit, due to increased import costs, the company revealed in a Q&A with staff this week seen by The Register. In the quarterly "Grill", chief exec Tom Mockridge was asked if the company would revise its sales targets set prior to the EU referendum "given the …

Page:

1. wyatt

Ironic I should today receive an email saying my bill is going up by £3.49 a month. However if I'm on 'promotional offer' it won't until that term ends, is anyone not on a promotional offer with them?

I've a diary reminder to re-negotiate my bill each year. Unfortunately BT have no intention of providing FTTC in this area so am stuck with them or maybe 4G.

1. TRT Silver badge

Me. And as soon as various negotiated deals I had with them expired and they refused to renew them (they didn't have the capacity for a phone line to accompany the TV & Broadband, so I was unable to get certain deals through no fault of my own), the costs started creeping up and up and up.

2. Phil W

" is anyone not on a promotional offer with them?"

Unfortunately yes. Their half price for the first 6 month type offers are only available to new customers.

Also I don't know if it's the case with call customers, but following the end of my contract with them they offered me a loyalty discount to stay however it was not for the full term of the new contract only about half of it and doesn't isolate me from price increases I guess because it's a discount and not a promotional offer strictly speaking.

3. John70

Same here so I just cancelled the TV subscription.

They tried their best to "persuade" me to keep it...

All I need is the broadband. After all you can get most of your viewing pleasure from Freeview and On Demand services.

And I never had the telephone from them.

1. VinceH

I had a letter the other week about that price increase. The first thing I noticed about it is that it doesn't break it down - which elements are increasing - telephone line rental, tv subs, broadband? One? Any combination of the two? All three?

I remarked about it on Twitter, and their social media peeps said it can't be broken down because I'm on a package - so I pointed out that it can be broken down, because although the initial bill I get is for the "package"*, I also get a VAT invoice shortly after it's paid, which I need for, er, VAT purposes, and which does indeed break it down.

* I pay a small amount each month for call barring, which is outwith the "package" but isn't itemised on the initial bill, whereas the telephone line rental *is* part of the package, and that's shown separately on the bill.

2. Sandtitz Silver badge
        Happy

"Same here so I just cancelled the TV subscription. They tried their best to "persuade" me to keep it... All I need is the broadband."

Here in Finland the three major ISPs are selling entertainment packages to broadband owners. Every few months my ISP calls me to sell me the film package and last time I rebuffed the caller saying how I torrent everything and tell how I'm getting the best films and telly series in glorious 4K before anyone else.

They haven't called for a long time now.

2. Steve Davies 3 Silver badge

They are a media company

So what Import costs?

Is this the costs of some crap US Relaity TV show or something physical. If the latter then what?

I'm sure the readership here would like to know.

1. Hans 1
      Holmes

Re: They are a media company

>Is this the costs of some crap US Relaity TV show or something physical. If the latter then what?

Who cares what exact imports, pound tanked, import costs go up ... mathematical, right ?

2. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Don't forget all the customer hardware, phones, cable modems, set top boxes etc. They're just about to start handing out their shiny new 4k STB which has probably just become 10% more expensive.

1. AlbertH

4k STB which has probably just become 10% more expensive.

No it hasn't. The price from Taiwan has dropped by nearly 14%. The things cost almost nothing, and they're charging their customers £££ for them - they could go up by 200% and they'd still see a profit! All ISP services here in the UK are profiteering scams.

3. Tom Wood

Fibre cable, coax, headend equipment, ...

1. frank ly

Licensing costs for use of the 'Virgin' name? Oh, the possibilities.

1. Anonymous Coward
          Anonymous Coward

watta loada bullshit. Costs may have risen due to incompetance , but no tarrifs have been imposed . we are still in the EU

1. Mark 78

<quote.watta loada bullshit. Costs may have risen due to incompetance , but no tarrifs have been imposed . we are still in the EU</quote>

But the pound has fallen by approx. 10% against most currencies, so anything imported costs 10% more approx.

1. Prst. V.Jeltz Silver badge

fallen pound

"But the pound has fallen by approx. 10% against most currencies, so anything imported costs 10% more approx."

great news for people selling stuff abrouad then! which is supposed to be about an equal volume isnt it?

2. Patrician

The value of the pound, against foreign currencies, has dropped due to Brexit, therefore buying imports costs more. Simple really.

1. Sproggit

Not Entirely Fair...

Yes, the value of Sterling dropped in the wake of the referendum result in June.

However,

1. The U.K. has not even triggered Article 50, let alone left the EU, so half your statement is wrong. If you had said, "due to sentiment" you would be closer to the truth.

2. Most of the post-referendum movement in Sterling (all...) has come from currency speculation. On Black Wednesday, when Norman Lamont pulled the UK out of the Exchange Rate Mechanism, American Investor George Soros made over $1 Billion by shorting the Pound. In June, many people, including Soros, tried to repeat the trick. The drop in Sterling has been caused by speculators, plain and simple.

I have ZERO interest in the Brexit decision either way, but I do think it is important that we're clear on these points...

3. nsld
            Facepalm

"Re: They are a media company

watta loada bullshit. Costs may have risen due to incompetance , but no tarrifs have been imposed . we are still in the EU"

=============

You are Nigel Farage and I claim my £5 British Pounds prize...........

Either that or you use flavoured Windowlene

4. AndrewDH

On the other hand the Pound is trading at a record low against the Dollar adding about 12.5% to the cost of imports. Virgin Media should have hedged but that may have run out.

4. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Virgin Media Business are also Tier 1 resellers for some of the big IT names.

Many companies hedge their dollar rate but VMB don't. So as soon as the sterling/dollar rate tanked, VMB passed the price rises straight onto their customers.

Anon 'cause in my day job was buy kit through VMB.

5. Friendly Neighbourhood Coder Dan

Re: They are a media company ( import costs )

I believe their main investment is importing the tons of paper that they use to spam every single household as often as humanly possible. Including those that are already with Virgin Media. That must come from abroad.

Also, the guy on their ad on the telly who can move his feet really fast must be paid in dollars, so that must have gone up too...

1. John70

Yet you have to pay £2.50 for paper billing...

2. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

Or, for added bonus points, posting regular sales guff to houses that can't actually receive the services because they stopped the cable 15 yards short of the end of the road!!

6. Voland's right hand Silver badge

Most likely that as well as cable equipment. The pound went down quite a bit for a while, so if there were payments due for either, they got royally screwed on the exchange rate.

7. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

...but some/most of the network stuff - much of the £5Bn investment - is bound to be made in Europe.

1. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

So you didn't notice the £ dropping against the € as well as the $?

You should go check what currency hedging is, why VM not having it is important. Might reduce the shock when other gb businesses currency protection runs out next year and prices start rising for everything. For a country with ~75% food self sufficiency (if we stop exporting food) that's bad news the voters won't like.

3. TheVoodooRay

Virgin Media have increased the monthly bill for my fibre by £3.50 - for the 3rd year in a row.

Each year I call them up, threaten to leave and they reduce my bill. It's great.

4. Commswonk

Another Illustration of the Fact...

...that the UK electorate was supposed to vote on the basis of "what was good for business", not on each individual's own interpretation of what was best for them and the wider UK community.

The fact that in this case it is an American business that is "complaining" merely makes the whole thing worse.

If Brexit means that the UK goes to the back of the queue to have TTIP imposed on it then so much the better, because by all accounts TTIP would result in the UK having to pay more or less permanent homage to US corporate interests. If my reading of the wider news is correct even the EU seems to have spotted that one...

1. Lee D Silver badge

Re: Another Illustration of the Fact...

Why the hell is any employer trying to tell its employees how to vote?

That's just rude, condescending, and surely must be against the rules, no?

What next? Are HR digging through all the people who DIDN'T vote in the companies interest for some "special attention"?

Personal politics and being an employee or employer have precisely nothing to do with each other.

1. Richard Jones 1

I am divided by this point.

Think about it if you worked for a company that would be adversely affected by a political policy promising to make their activity illegal. In that case it would be sensible to advise you that you might be directly impacted by the vote, as your job would exist any more.

Note in the carefully crafted example that would not be a threat, but a statement of fact.

In the VM case the 'costs' of Brexit appear marginal and within the range of business variables that a well run company should normally be expected to handle.

1. Hans 1
          Facepalm

>In the VM case the 'costs' of Brexit appear marginal and within the range of business variables that a well run company should normally be expected to handle.

News flash: Brexit has not yet started, shit, has not even been DEFINED.

1. Patrician

But the affects of the vote in favour of an EU exit are being felt now; the pound has already lost around 10% of it's value against foreign currencies for instance.

1. Paul Shirley

But the affects of the vote in favour of an EU exit are being felt now; the pound has already lost around 10% of it's value against foreign currencies for instance.

Thanks to currency hedging the effects of currency fluctuations aren't being felt by most companies yet and by almost none of the public, to remain competitive companies without protection can't afford to pass on the change till their competitors are equally affected. That won't last forever, effects might even start before A50 is signed.

Most people probably aren't worrying much about the stock market reaction either, after all it panics all the time but more because they forget where their pensions are invested.

1. AndrewDH

Most of the hedges that are in place will run out later this year early next year. Companies like John Lewis have already made this clear.

Ironically much of the current buoyancy in UK retail sales figures is tourists coming to the UK and snapping up luxury goods at a 12% discount because of the pounds depreciation after the Brexit vote. This will only last as long as the hedges that ate in place. Most Brexiteers however think its all good and business as usual.

2. Doctor Syntax Silver badge

"News flash: Brexit has not yet started, shit, has not even been DEFINED."

True, but tell that to the foreign exchange markets, not us.

3. AndrewDH

True but the FX market and the Bond markets have reacted as if it has and they are the two markets that really count, the FTSE is largely irrelevant.

2. Len

You could argue that the boundaries should be somewhere between advising employees how to vote and advising that outcome X will have an adverse effect on the company.

Any business can be affected by outside events, whether they are earthquakes, tsunamis, military coups, rampant inflation, massive currency fluctuations etc. and one could argue that the EU referendum and its potential vote for Brexit was one of those external events that could have a major impact on the company. In contrast to a tsunami there is some control a business can exert over the outcome of a referendum and so they chose to do what they could.

Here's a thought, if a business (who employees have a fairly important relationship with considering they spend a substantial of time of the day week there, they provide their income and thus whose well-being its employees depend on) couldn't advise them how to vote, why should some random newspaper advise them how to vote?

1. Doctor Syntax Silver badge

"Any business can be affected by outside events, whether they are earthquakes, tsunamis, military coups, rampant inflation, massive currency fluctuations etc. and one could argue that the EU referendum and its potential vote for Brexit was one of those external events that could have a major impact on the company."

Spot the one which the employees could influence by their vote.

2. tfewster

> Why the hell is any employer trying to tell its employees how to vote?

If a company feels Option A is best for its survival and therefore its staffs continued employment, it seems reasonable to recommend employees vote for Option A in their own best interests. OTOH, if it's purely for the shareholders/execs/customers benefit, they run the risk of pushing their peons into voting the other way ;-)

1. werdsmith Silver badge

The company doesn't tell employees how to vote. It tells them what result it believes would be best for their business.

The employees can vote for whoever they like, it's a secret ballot after all.

1. Fibbles

The employees can vote for whoever they like, it's a secret ballot after all.

It's not as secret as you might think. There needs to be some sort of tracking mechanism to aid in investigations of electoral fraud.

Each ballot slip has a serial number and records are kept matching voters to serial numbers. The slips themselves are stored in a government warehouse for a year before being destroyed.

It's very possible for the government to find out who you voted for. Considering the reports of lax security around the used ballot slips it wouldn't surprise me if, after greasing the right palms, private parties could find out who you voted for.

1. Len

Who says there needs to be a form of tracking on the ballot paper? It is illegal in many countries to have numbered ballots and many of those countries have much better functioning democracies than the UK ever had. If fraud prevention was such as serious matter in the UK there would be an ID requirement at the polling station. Again, a legal requirement in many democracies but not in the UK. Right now, there is nothing stopping you from voting in the name of your neighbour in the morning and in your own name in the evening. There is no way a polling station clerk would remember your face as someone who has already voted.

An interesting extra, it is actually illegal for the UK to number the white ballot papers for the EP elections because the franchise comes from the EU and they don't allow numbered ballots. The EU explicitly requires EP elections to be secret. Liberty have complained about the UK's lack of secret ballots but they have focused mainly on the UK's General Election. Nobody has take the case of the illegal EU ballots to the High Court, yet.

2. IsJustabloke
              Thumb Up

@Fibbles

I have that conversation with the people in the polling office every single time I vote and they really do not understand. :/

2. Wensleydale Cheese
            Stop

"The employees can vote for whoever they like, it's a secret ballot after all."

That raises a very serious question about any future plans to introduce voting by the internet.

Are you happy with the prospect of voting via an ISP who spends serious money on political campaigns?

1. AndrewDH

Do you ever drink in Wetherspoons or suck up dust with a Dyson. They both supported leaving. Personally I am boycotting Wetherspoons but thats not particularly hard.

3. Anonymous Coward
            Anonymous Coward

No secret ballots for those whose data is public.

Those who have access to your phone, email and computer data can know who you voted for, who you would vote for and even if you do not believe that they do.

4. IsJustabloke
            Stop

"it's a secret ballot after all"

is it?

When I go to vote, they write the serial number of the ballot paper they've just given me against my name address on the big electoral role.. so while it's very remote, a sufficiently motivated person could find out how I voted so no, it's really not a secret ballot.

3. I am the liquor

So you should ask yourself, "Is this good for the company?"

4. Voland's right hand Silver badge

Why the hell is any employer trying to tell its employees how to vote?

Depends on the nature of business.

Example 1 - your business is European Patent law (as my SWMBO) and the company will close doors within a year of the execution of a hard Brexit due to key functions moving to Munich. No need to recommend the employees how to vote - just state the f*** fact (as the company she used to work for at the time actually did - they are one of the very few I know who were honest about it).

Example 2 - your business is automotive production and falling back to WTO tariffs means that it just stopped being profitable so in the event of a hard Brexit you will close the factory and bugger off to Romania to build them there. Again, no need to recommend employees how to vote. Clearly stating the fact instead of manifesting proverbial Far Eastern politeness by lying in their face that "the company has a continuous commitment to its workforce and manufacturing base in the UK". Just to be followed by serving the reality cold and with a vengeance several months later to the PM.

Example 3 - any of the high tech companies with Eu HQs in UK. Telling the employees that in the event of a BrExit the local UK profit base is insufficient to sustain the HQ and the company will no longer be able to claim the UK HQ, Support and R&D functions as a vaild pre-tax business expense on Eu income. Again, no need to recommend the employees how to vote. Unfortunately, lying about commitment to the great local [Cisco | CA | Oracle | Microsoft | etc ] workforce was preferred. All of this while at the same time sharpening the HR long knives (and some of it already being executed).

That, however, is different from telling them how to vote. It is telling them what the real effect would be and being honest about it. In the case of Virgin media there is no excuse for what they did.

1. AndrewDH

Actually its not entirely true to suggest that Virgin Media won't be impacted. They are a licensed regulated service, they operate in Ireland. The regime for licensed regulated media services is similar to the Finance passports. When we leave the EU VM will probably require a passport to operate in Ireland. They could switch Country locations for the HQ which would solve the problem but that would also have an impact.

Page:

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon

Other stories you might like