back to article Oracle execs get that shrinking feeling

It still pays to run Oracle, just not as much as it used to - top executives’ packages shrank by double digits in fiscal ’16 as the software titan continued to desperately seek out cloud business. Company co-founder Larry Ellison, who these days also carries the CTO and exec chairman titles, received $41.5m in total for the 12 …

1. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

They're reaping what they've sown...

It's bad enough being locked in to their database product with their questionable shakedown tactics - I think most people in their right minds would avoid the possibility of Oracle Cloud lock-in like the plague, which hopefully means they'll fail in that marketplace and slowly wither and die over the next 20 years...

A/C because currently being subjected to aforementioned shakedown process.

2. vmistery

Quite simply they have been on an anti SMB mission for several years now removing the only affordable oracle products availble therefore shrinking their own potential market. Bring back the affordable entry level products and reduce the licensing complexity and people will come back.

1. Down not across

Bring back the affordable entry level products and reduce the licensing complexity and people will come back.

You sure about that? Forcing SMBs to try out alternatives may have opened their eyes. There are other products out there, many of which quite good.

3. Bryan Hall

If they want to regain market share, at least in the database space, I think the solution is simple. Price it to match the market and include all options in the enterprise edition so that DBAs can use the features they need to get the job done without having to juggle databases between hosts with the right combinations of licenses. Additionally, recognize Vmware and HyperV partitioning as valid, since your VM tool has failed miserably.

4. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Maybe it will make them appreciate their employees more, some of whom haven't had a wage rise in over a decade and who's benefits have been eroded over that time to boost margin

I doubt it.

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon