back to article More Lenovo staffers to be buried in the redundancy pit

Lenovo has told around 1,100 staff they are surplus to requirements as it battens down the hatches following continued weakness in smartphone demand. The Chinese tech giant confirmed the “resource action” will affect “less than two per cent” of the roughly 55,000 people employed worldwide. “The majority of the positions being …

1. Digitall
    FAIL

Masters of their own demise.

Lenovo are not helping themselves by locking hardware to Operating Systems on certain PC's.

Then to blame the OS license agreement, when it's their configuration of a single drive raid device whereby other OSes can't be installed (yet) all for the sake of intel Power Management.

IT sucks!

1. Crazy Operations Guy

Re: Masters of their own demise.

Lenovo isn't alone. Computer manufacturers have been doing that since cheap RAID cards without built-in processors or memory were a thing. I have a pile of Pentium 2/3-era systems that required me to install a new IDE / SCSI card because the internal raid card required special software to work and you couldn't set the chip into a non-raid mode. A few weeks ago, I ended up returning an ASUS Xeon-E5 server board that pulled the same thing.

The problem is that no one knows how to write BIOS code anymore, and no one is bothering to release proper documentation on how the hardware works so its an up-hill battle for anyone wanting to write their own...

2. x 7

So what phones do Lenovo now make/sell? Is it just the Motorola smart phones or do they have other brands? Who is now behind the Motorola feature phones - some of the cheapest and most reliable on the market?

3. The Godfather
    Holmes

Boom

Lenovo, or no love?

1. fidodogbreath

Re: Boom

Low-blow-vo?

Slow-mo oh-no vo?

1. John Brown (no body) Silver badge

Re: Boom

Your are Judoon and ICM£5

4. BaronHK

LOL NO! VO

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon

Other stories you might like