back to article Ofcom kicks off 5G auction consultation

Communications regulator Ofcom has opened a consultation on the first tranche of its 5G spectrum auction. The consultation presents its initial thinking on how it could expand spectrum access for mobile services in the 3.6 – 3.8 GHz band, said the regulator. The band is currently used by fixed links and by satellite services …

1. Mage Silver badge

5G is NOT about spectrum

5G is about consolidation of back end infrastructure and better use of channels simultaneously, even if on separate bands.

1. MichaelHayes

Re: 5G is NOT about spectrum

Agreed, there is more to it than spectrum. 3GPP have the latest agreed requirements and deployment scenarios in TR 38.913, if anyone's interested.

2. druck Silver badge
    Thumb Down

First they steal terrestrial TV frequencies, now satellite comms.

There are other things than bloody mobiles.

3. I Like Heckling Silver badge

Before they do 5G

How about the actually roll out 4G to everywhere that isn't a large populated urban centre... There is no 4G where I live in a medium sized town, 3G is a joke too.

If they can't sort out providing 4G, why the hell should they be given the opportunity to roll out 5G to an elitist minority.

1. paulf
      Alert

Re: Before they do 5G

@ I Like Heckling "If they can't sort out providing 4G, why the hell should they be given the opportunity to roll out 5G to an elitist minority."

Slow down there, Grandma!

This might be only one use case but I've had pretty good (and perfectly usable) 4G on my various visits to Cornwall, including some real backside of beyond wilderness areas where I wouldn't have expected more than simple 2G Voice+SMS (if anything at all). There are still gaps but such is life. Other networks may offer better/worse than mine in those areas - you pays money and takes choice.

I'm sorry to hear you have coverage problems (which presumably extend across all four MNOs in your area?) but don't assume those who are able to get 3G/4G are an "elitist minority".

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon

Other stories you might like