back to article Windows updates? Just trust us, says Microsoft executive

At Microsoft's recent Ignite event in Atlanta, The Reg sat down with Brad Anderson, Corporate Vice President of Enterprise Client and Mobility. Brad Anderson is a Microsoft veteran who oversees how Windows and mobile devices are managed in business. A decade ago it was simple: firewall-protected network, Windows PCs, and …

Page:

1. Doctor Syntax Silver badge

"As we build confidence with IT pros"

Maybe he should get out more and read what IT pros actually think about Microsoft because there's a huge assumption built into that statement.

1. NoneSuch Silver badge
      Holmes

Trust is earned. Microsoft and I have had a rocky relationship for decades.

Trust them? No. I prefer Ronald Reagan, "Trust, but verify."

1. a_yank_lurker

@Nonw\eSuch - It should be for Slurp "Verify then trust". Reagan was dealing with reasonably honorable Soviet leaders not Slurp.

1. Anonymous Coward
          Headmaster

All take at MSFT

Trust is earned

Piss is taken

1. Anonymous Coward
            Anonymous Coward

Re: All take at MSFT

Trust is earned.

Not given away...

Take note MS..

2. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

You prefer Reagan eh?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Mb1GfP5Rwys

3. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

re. Trust, but verify

ironically, the saying originally comes, if I remember correctly, from a comrade Dzerzhinsky, the head of infamous Cheka.

2. Novex

"As we build confidence with IT pros"

Maybe he should get out more and read what IT pros actually think about Microsoft because there's a huge assumption built into that statement.

I agree, wholeheartedly.

As for all the statements in the article, where the fuck do I start? Almost everything in them seems to be damage limitation and a serious attempt to try and pull the wool over the eyes of businesses everywhere. Just why the hell should any professional I.T. bod think that MS will ever be trustworthy for data security? They're no better than Google, Apple or Facebook in that regard, and if you 'buy' wholesale into Windows 10, they have your PCs by the balls. All they want to do is snoop the data so they can chuck crapware adverts all over their customers. And of course, avoid the Windows 7 retention issue, which looks like it might become the new XP.

3. Dave K

Trust needs to be earned.

Binning your QA department and relying on volunteers is not a good way to build confidence and trust.

Bundling adware and malware (GWX, IE advertising) with your updates is also not a good way to build confidence and trust.

Releasing a number of major Windows 10 updates that have broken things in various ways is also not a good way to build confidence and trust.

Trust has to be earned. Right now, MS seem to be doing everything in their power to lower the quality of updates and to harm that trust, then they're telling us to let them update everything for us, and are implementing blocks so that updates on some classification of machines are forced.

And they're wondering why Windows 10 has received an iffy reception amongst IT Pros?

1. nematoad

Re: Trust needs to be earned.

Trust if you must but who carries the can when things go wrong, as they will?

You for trusting an external entity, your IT department or MS who, in this scenario, seem to have the majority of control?

Your choice of course. Me, I'll stick to something a bit more controllable

4. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Previous life, Mr Anderson worked at Yahoo!

Mr Anderson worked at Yahoo! in a previous life, by the looks of it.

(We can only hypothesise what Mr Anderson would be saying right now if Microsoft had bought Yahoo!, back in the day)

5. ecofeco Silver badge

It's the assumption that he will still get a huge paycheck no matter what.

Hubris isn't cheap, you know.

6. Naselus

Fairly sure almost all of us have endured a long, abusive relationship with MS for a long, long while now. They were shitty to us for a long time; recently, they're been trying to make it up to us when they realised some of us were seeing RHEL on the side, and yeah, they've undeniably done some nice things lately. But this all sounds a little bit too much like 'oh c'mon baby, just gimme one more chance...'

2. Florida1920
    Childcatcher

Trust us

Windows 10 is good for you. Really. Remember how Mum made you eat the spinach? It's just like that.

Windows 10 Spinach is back. This week, MS tried to get me to install snoopy KB2952664. No, thanks! And I still hate spinach.

1. Daniel von Asmuth
      Big Brother

Re: Trust us

This is the company that gave the world 'trustworthy computing'.

1. Stoneshop
        Headmaster

'trustworthy computing'.

It's been misspelled since launch, because it's actually "thrustworthy computing". I need not explain in which direction it should be thrusted, do I?

2. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Perhaps you should file an antitrust suit ?

ba dum tsss

1. Disk0
        Thumb Up

Re: antitrust suit

I should start wearing one of those over my asbestos longjohns...

3. Gray
      Holmes

Anderson said: "So we can take a look at the user’s identity, the device they are working on, the app that they are using on the device. We can also take a look at telemetry coming in from our partner ecosystem."

GawdAlmighty... I can hear NSA, CIA, DIA, FBI, DHS... all salivating and cheering and back-slapping in ecstatic fits of joy! Finally... every Windows computer around the globe, "phoning home" and ... say! Isn't that data retention center in the Utah desert ready for an expansion? By an order of magnitude, perhaps?

4. yoganmahew

And spinach isn't actually good for you (any more so than any other green leafy vegetable), that was an advertising slogan your gullible mother bought into. So why don't you be a good drone and do the same.

1. Anonymous Coward
        Linux

Indeed. This is actually a very serious problem. Chronic exposure is now being implicated in causing the habitual user a catalogue of serious disorders:

Hypertension,

Anal retention,

Anaemia,

Stroke,

etc...

..and spinach isn't much better either.

Probably best to minimise exposure to both by substituting more palatable alternatives wherever possible.

5. Andy Livingstone

and KB2976978

1. TRT Silver badge

Spinach can be great, done right. A decent saag aloo... lovely. Boiled spinach in a lumpy green mess of slime? Yuck.

1. Dwarf
          Joke

Perhaps Microsoft should try Windows 10 Sag Aloo edition ?

3. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

The moment someone says "Trust Me" it's time to pull out the bullshitometer and watch the needle hit the red zone.

1. This post has been deleted by its author

2. Barry Rueger

No, I trusted the flack entirely until:

"Credential Guard stores your credentials in a way that it is impossible for an attacker to get credentials. "

"Impossible."

Uh huh......

1. Updraft102

Right after he said you can eliminate passwords with "Hello," and that would lead to increased security.

1. TRT Silver badge

there's a few things to iron out...

And when you do remove the creases... it would lead to increasedsecurity.

Makes sense now.

2. Antron Argaiv Silver badge
        Childcatcher

"Impossible"

In much the same sense as the Titanic was "unsinkable"

Pride goeth before a fall...

3. MotionCompensation

Trust is like silence

Once you start talking about trust, it's not there anymore. MS has just acknowledged they have lost our trust.

4. cd / && rm -rf *
      Thumb Up

"The moment someone says "Trust Me" it's time to pull out the bullshitometer and watch the needle hit the red zone"

If I could upvote that a million times, I would.

4. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Okay. Sure. I'll (for arguments sake only) give them that, in the long run, the sum total of patches will improve the system.

The problem is that by letting them all in, I'm stuck living with the crappy ones until they deign to fix'em. With a track record that includes 20 years with holes in place, I'm not willing to take those risks.

5. zero2dash

Surely no one is this daft

“...organisations should rely on Microsoft...”

“...sometimes we release updates that break something...”

You sir are a special kind of stupid, one that is largely unseen and the stuff of legend.

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: Surely no one is this daft

"At Ignite, Microsoft refused to give the press numbers for Windows 10 Enterprise take-up alone."

No kidding!

Still, it's not like they ever were the sort of company to let a good failure get in the way of spin & hype...

6. Anonymous Coward
    Windows

>This is based on Azure Active Directory (AAD), as used by Office 365. Businesses using Active Directory on-premises can set up synchronisation with AAD using various tools.

We migrated to 365 and were told to keep on premises exchange incase Azure goes TITSUP, by MS support ... anon for obvious reasons.

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Never been seen?

...exchange for when Azure goes TITSUP, Shirley?

7. Ken Moorhouse Silver badge

"conditional access policy"

Yes, I've had some customers at the receiving end of that policy.

When the "signals/telemetry" comes back with GIGO-style results and refuses to allow you to use the software that you as the licensee are entitled to use - this is the reason for healthy dollops of scepticism.

8. This post has been deleted by its author

1. Montreal Sean

Re: A Trip To The Doctors (Dr Microsoft)

Having recently entered my 40s, I'm resigned to the fact I'll need to bend over and spread 'em for my doctor on an annual-ish basis.

But no way will I do the same for Microsoft.

1. TRT Silver badge

Prostrate? It's a requirement.

1. Anonymous Coward
          Headmaster

The verb or the adjective?

A requirement for the doctor or the Microsoft Corporation?

9. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

El Reg sat down with....? Wow!

is that some kind of record?

We all know your ongoing sage with Apple but to sit down with someone in the know at MS.... Wow...

All I can hope is that you directed said MS spokesperson to read some of the Vitriol that appears here whenever MS messes around with the updating process.

We (well, I was but not now) are on the sharp end of their crap decision making. We have to shelter our end users from the crap patched that you MS put out in the hope that....

1) we don't notice

2) they actually fix the issue (history says not)

Come on El Reg, tell us what you used to beat this MS honcho around the head with so that the crappiness of the shit they release is driven home.

Oh, and if we were going to update/downgrade to Windows 10, we would have done it by now so for effing craps sake stop it.

Now going for another beer in the hope that it will help me forget MS until monday.

1. Donkey Molestor X

Re: El Reg sat down with....? Wow!

whoever from MS sat down with somebody from El Reg probably knows that most people who threaten to "leave Macro$$$uck 4evar" are just the loud minority and that they aren't worth the attention.

i'm practically a philanthro-fucking-pist for endeavouring to do so, right now:

easily 99% of you who say that Windows 10 is the last straw said that about Vista and said that about Windows 95. then you moved to Linux and then tried to listen to an mp3 or print a file or read a Word document or, I don't know, LOCK YOUR SCREEN, and it fucked up in some incredibly esoteric or stupid way.

you think i'm going to show my fucking parents the difference between Xfce or GNOME or KDE and play "find the start bar" for them or "what fucking workspace am I in now?" you think I'm going to explain the difference between an rpm, tgz, or deb? if you hate microsoft so much, YOU fucking do all that shit for me, for free. your payment will be the ineffable, warm-and-fuzzy joy you get knowing that you're "really sticking it to" a multimillion dollar company by sacrificing hours a week playing BOFH: The Home Game.

Dumb fucks.

1. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

Funny, I up voted your post and it recorded it as a down vote.

2. Barry Rueger

Know what? You almost got an up vote for:

"Easily 99% of you who say that Windows 10 is the last straw said that about Vista and said that about Windows 95."

This is true, especially if they think they're clever for using "Windoze" or "M$."

Your bizarre, uninformed, trolling anti-Linux rant turned that up vote upside-down. :(

3. Chika
        Trollface

easily 99% of you who say that Windows 10 is the last straw said that about Vista and said that about Windows 95.

Those that said it had their reasons. With W95 it was mostly about driver issues but bear in mind that the number of PCs affected was miniscule compared with current. With Vista it was because it was buggy and bloated and wasn't helped by that "Vista Ready" scheme that proved to be somewhat inaccurate. In both cases the systems in question eventually came up to scratch but were more notably superseded by systems that weren't quite such a pain in the arse, namely Windows 98 and Windows 7.

then you moved to Linux and then tried to listen to an mp3 or print a file or read a Word document or, I don't know, LOCK YOUR SCREEN, and it fucked up in some incredibly esoteric or stupid way.

It did? I've been using various Linuxen for many years with all sorts of different UIs and haven't noticed a problem. Yes, the mp3 business was a pain but bear in mind that this has more to do with protectionism than a system problem in itself and is easily worked around. I forget the last time I actually had an MP3 based problem overall.

Opening a Word document? LibreOffice, OpenOffice and a few others have had no problems with doing this, whether you install them on Linux or, you know, Windows! I'll say nothing about loading Word on a Linux system using WINE, though I and many others can testify that it can be done.

And as for locking my screen... you are really reaching for the FUD!

you think i'm going to show my fucking parents the difference between Xfce or GNOME or KDE and play "find the start bar" for them or "what fucking workspace am I in now?"

That's your choice. The difference between the UIs you mention isn't that great that you need to give a guided tour but at least many distros will give you a chance through the various Live environments.

They all, however, have start "bars" that are easily found and will show the current workspace in a fairly intuitive fashion. Or are your parents really that incapable? In that case you'd better keep them away from Windows 10 as well!

you think I'm going to explain the difference between an rpm, tgz, or deb?

You really think they need to know? Aren't you just grousing for the sake of it? Have you ever explained the difference between an msi, exe or zip? Do they even care?

if you hate microsoft so much, YOU fucking do all that shit for me, for free. your payment will be the ineffable, warm-and-fuzzy joy you get knowing that you're "really sticking it to" a multimillion dollar company by sacrificing hours a week playing BOFH: The Home Game.

Why should anyone here do that? Or are you just a Microsoft fanboi or a shill with a rather lavatorial turn of phrase?

1. Doctor Syntax Silver badge

"Opening a Word document? LibreOffice, OpenOffice and a few others have had no problems with doing this"

Oddly enough it tended to be Word that had that problem when the lock-in train was running full-tilt.

1. Chika

Oddly enough it tended to be Word that had that problem when the lock-in train was running full-tilt.

Indeed. The nice thing about LibreOffice and its predecessors is that they worked pretty hard to open whatever was flung at them, even when Microsoft protectionism was at its worst.

2. Pompous Git Silver badge

I have never had a problem opening a Word document with Word. I did have a problem once with a Word document created in Star Office.* When Star Office (and Word) failed to open the document I was told that I should have been periodically doing a File, Save as... That's something I never needed to do with Word though I never used the DOS versions or Word for Windows 1.0.

I have seen this problem however. It was always when the Fast Saves setting had been enabled and so could be considered self-inflicted.

* Star Office was the predecessor of Open/Libre Office and was a paid-for commercial product.

Page:

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon

Other stories you might like