back to article Soylent bars farting recall

Future food firm Soylent has issued a total recall on its food bars after reports that they were giving some consumers upset stomachs. The food bars, launched last month and designed to give 12.5 per cent of the total nutrients needed for a day, have now been withdrawn from sale and the company is offering a full refund. "A …

1. Chris G

Soylent makes you green

See title.

2. Martin Summers Silver badge

Samsung not the only company to have 'explosive' issues. I just can't decide what's worse, blowing your customer up on the inside or the outside.

3. Destroy All Monsters Silver badge
    Trollface

Total Recall

...on the fart bars!

But will we be told what biochemical processes are the root cause of the gaseous disaster?

1. allthecoolshortnamesweretaken

Re: Total Recall

One of my sources claims that Fort Detrick seems to be interested but wouldn't divulge any details.

2. bombastic bob Silver badge
      Trollface

Re: Total Recall

repurpose the recipe as a gag item, alongside the hot pepper gum and the 'stinky' deoderant.

4. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

12.5% of the nutrients needed for a single day?

A quick Google tells me they have 250 calories, which is about 12.5% of the calories needed for a single day (depending on sex & weight) So wow, if you eat those you'll get an average amount of nutrients for the calories you are consuming....however did they manage such an impossible feat?

Surely there are about a million superior alternatives out there, many of which are in the form of 'bars' as well. I think this company sounds like a one trick pony that's basically the ironic name and that's it.

1. A Non e-mouse Silver badge

Re: 12.5% of the nutrients needed for a single day?

I think the point of their food stuffs is that they're not just energy, but all the vitamins, minerals, proteins, fibre, etc., etc., that they think a human body needs.

1. TRT Silver badge

Re: 12.5% of the nutrients needed for a single day?

Where could they possibly get the perfect nutritional balance for the human body in an easily processable form?

Ma's a bar. So's Pa, and Grandpa.

5. GBE

Quality control issue or just a bad design?

"It's not the first time the firm has had quality control issues"

So they've confirmed this is a quality control issue (meaning that the bars don't contain what they're supposed to contain), and not a design problem (meaning they contain what was intended, but it turns out that's not A Good Thing(TM))?

6. Fungus Bob
    Mushroom

Just relabel them as energy bars...

...and call the jet assist a feature, not a bug!

Icon for what happens when you fire up the afterburner :)

7. fidodogbreath
    Megaphone

PEOPLE!!!!

Someone had to say it.

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: PEOPLE!!!!

There are people in bars?

1. mhoulden
        Pint

There will be from lunchtime onwards

1. TRT Silver badge

The Soylent tours were incredibly popular. Unfortunately the cause of this popularity was a slight typographical error in the brochure which read "The Soylent Factory employees will make a very good meal for visiting tourists", instead of "The Soylent Factory employees will make a very good meal OF visiting tourists".

8. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

It probably depends on the gut in question. Brassicas do nasty things to me, but are considered normal food for this time of year.

1. Mephistro

True. I'd also propose old legumes. When they're a few months old, the seed's "skin" produces some polysaccharides that somehow disrupt the gut flora and cause megaton-level farts. "New" legumes don't cause so many farts, but they're usually more expensive.

So this could be caused by a change in providers, a way of cutting corners or a simple lack of foresight by the company.

I also agree with other fellow commentards that pointed to the lack of quality control.

1. TRT Silver badge

Onions. Lots of fried onions, especially slightly gone off onions.

Volume and flavour.

9. Anonymous Coward
    Go

Soylent Bars are made from irritating people?

(It sure it would sound better if Charlton Heston said it.)

10. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

"Future food firm Soylent"

So what industry are they in at present? Ingestible but not quite safe bars of some description?

11. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

What would Sol say?

12. Steven Roper

Looks to me

Like Soylent have been sourcing their ingredients from the same supplier Haribo uses for their colonoscopy-friendly gummy bears...

13. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

You're eating it wrong!

14. Nolveys

You maniacs!

You blew it up! Damn you to...wait, this isn't the Samsung thread.

15. J P
    Coat

Oops

I read "bars" as a verb in the headline so this wasn't quite the story I was expecting

16. Timmy B

no... no... no... no...

I'll eat proper food, thanks. This is just a horrible idea and if you're eating them it's no wonder your insides are rebelling.

17. Wiltshire
    Joke

You were only supposed to blow the bloody profits up.

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon