back to article Post-referendum UK still part of Euro cyberterror stress test... for now

European enterprises are teaming with information security agencies and governments to run a pan-European cyberwar readiness exercise today. Cyber Europe 2016 - which involves thousands of experts from all 28 EU Member States, Switzerland and Norway - is being co-ordinated by European Union security agency ENISA. It's the …

1. John Mangan

"securocrats"

I like it but I can only give 9/10.

I would have gone for sec-eu-rocrats for that extra bit of heavy-handedness.

2. Alfred

"Cyber Europe 2016 paints a very dark scenario, inspired by events such as the blackout in a European Country over Christmas period"

That's us, right? As I understand it, cyber attack not necessary; just our own cak-handed mismanagement of power stations and our energy needs.

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Spot the deliberate excuse..

"Oh no, it wasn't our political mismanagement of the nation's energy supplies driven by stupidity and greed, and desire to appeal to Green voters, it was cyberwar from...well whoever they were they were NOT in the EU right? Definitely not. And that's the sort of thing that will happen if you even THINK about leaving. Got it?"

"Right, So no more nonsense about brexit ok?"

3. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

There's really only one scenario that worries me

The only threat you really cannot defend against in a way that protects privacy is a DDoS, because there's no decent provider for DDoS protection in the EU.

If you're a business that needs to protect end user privacy and remain compliant with EU data protection laws you have a real risk you can't really do anything against due to the flood of cheap tat in the form of badly secured IoT devices, and the criminals know it.

Expect a lot more blackmail coming your way :(.

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon