back to article Honeywell's UK staff mull strike action

UK employees of multinational Honeywell are considering strike action over the closure of their final salary pension scheme. The Unite union has started balloting its 1,100 members across the UK today in a consultative ballot for industrial action. The ballot closes on Monday October 31. Honeywell has more than 50 sites …

1. Bill M

Wow !! That is a blast from the past.

Did not know Honeywell was still going.

1. Michael Strorm Silver badge

"The company's current name, Honeywell International Inc., is the product of a merger in which Honeywell Inc. was acquired by the much larger AlliedSignal in 1999. The company headquarters were consolidated with AlliedSignal's headquarters in Morristown, New Jersey; however the combined company chose the name "Honeywell" because of its superior brand recognition."

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Honeywell

2. Havin_it
      Black Helicopters

A Honeywell appliance materialised on the wall of our Throne Room at the same time the gas boiler was replaced. I'm guessing it's a CO detector. It does give me a little frisson to see it, albeit that there's very little connection with the tech titan that was.

Part of me wants to pry the casing open in case there's an advanced supercomputer in there (hell, relative to Honeywell machines in their pomp that's probably a valid comparison) but another part of me thinks that if either my landlord, the boiler maker or the plumber felt the need to surreptitiously install such a thing in our bog, I probably don't want to know why.

1. Naselus

My brother works for one of the subsidiaries. They don't really do much in the way of computing tech anymore, but Honeywell-owned brands are pretty dominant in the various types of alarms you can install - burglar, fire, CO, even thermal. They're also a big noise in 2nd-rate jet engines - not the kind of thing you find on an airliner, but the kind of thing that the British fit on deliberately obsolete fighters they want to sell to tinpot dictatorships for inflated prices.

2. Mad Chaz

Another good example of buisness avioding risk, this time shifting it to the employees. Why bother with properly managing the retirement fund when we can just have the employees get shafted if we did a poor job.

1. ecofeco Silver badge

This has been the trend in American business for the last 16 years.

America is the land of self-service everything. Which sounds good in theory, until you realize you are still paying high prices and having less and time of your own and quality of goods and services are getting worse.

1. ecofeco Silver badge

"...less time OF your own..."

3. Erik4872

Time to restore the employer/employee balance

Interesting to see this in a UK context -- most private employers in the US dumped final average salary pensions ages ago when they got the tax loophole known as the 401(k) and could wash their hands of any responsibility.

I would definitely be behind a more balanced relationship between employers and employees:

- On the employee side, a higher degree of loyalty would be necessary. More dedication to the job, less job hopping every 6 months...basically making employers want to keep and invest in you. Of course, that's only possible with...

- ...On the employer side, a higher degree of fair dealing with the employees. Have a career path people can actually achieve. Don't lay people off the second the stock price drops, and don't just dump everyone involved when you can a project...reuse them! Pay fairly, provide great benefits and invest in training. At least contribute meaningfully to an employee's retirement account if not managing a pension plan.

A good example of this would be pre-90's-meltdown IBM. I hear stories of employees who worked their entire careers there, and retired with a solid pension and lifetime medical benefits. They had a no-layoff policy for ages. Now, they're doing everything possible to reverse all this, just like every big employer.

I think this will eventually backfire on big employers. Economists use the term "efficiency wage" to mean "pay more than the absolute minimum you can to potentially see an increase in productivity." Squeezing workers will, in the long run, lead to lower productivity and less quality work produced. If an employee feels their employer is dealing with them fairly, they'll do a good job. If they feel the employer is out to get them at every turn, they'll respond in kind.

1. ecofeco Silver badge

Re: Time to restore the employer/employee balance

It's already backfiring in shoddy products and services resulting in lawsuits from very large clients and regulatory fines. Many articles right here on El Reg.

Unfortunately, it's still not enough to affect the larger companies profits. (thus showing the entire concept of "free market" is utter bullshit)

4. ecofeco Silver badge

Company contributions are below average?

Considering how small the average company match and contributions are these day, if you're lucky enough to even get any at all, being below that is really, really bad.

5. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

If you signed up for a final salary scheme

you should gwt a final salary scheme pension. F### Honeywell, they pennned the deal they should have the balls to hold up to the deal.

That's not an irrational statement based on a political stance. These companies know full well what these deals mean when they make them.. And on a political stance, shafting pensioners or future pensioners does not bode well for any future business wise conservative party looking for future power.

I would bet all of the undr are on final pension schemes or better.

David M. Cote

David M. Cote

William S. Ayer

William S. Ayer

Kevin G. Burke

Kevin G. Burke

Jaime Chico Pardo

Jaime Chico Pardo

D. Scott Davis

D. Scott Davis

Linnet F. Deily

Linnet F. Deily

Judd A. Gregg

Judd A. Gregg

Clive R. Hollick

Clive R. Hollick

Grace D. Lieblein

Grace D. Lieblein

George Paz

George Paz

Bradley T. Sheares

Bradley T. Sheares

If you don't rcognise them, that's the board of directors of blah blah blah blah rant over

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon