back to article Microsoft spits out final XP service pack, beta version

Microsoft yesterday quietly dished out a beta version of its Windows XP Service Pack 3 (SP3), but also continued to bang the less-than-convincing "Vista is better for you" drum. By the time a full version of the update arrives, expected in the first half of 2008, it will have been nearly four years since Windows XP SP2 was …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

@By Daniel Snowden

interesting thing .I have XP upgrade . I've upgrade 4 times since I've bought XP upgrade. The first two times I had to call in. The las time I did not. I was able to intall it on 3 other computers and have not had to call in since the last two times I've resinstalled it has not asked me to call in

2. Darryl

What? You have to use up to date software on an up to date OS??

You mean I may not be able to run my Acrobat 1.1 on Vista? The hell with it, I'm going back to Windows 3.0.

I'd like to go back and take a look at comments made when XP came out... Things like "My computer ran Win98 just fine. Now that I've installed XP, it's really slow. I mean, I have 64 megs of RAM on my P2 300, what more do I need?" "Kids these days don't know what they have... In my day I had to walk 10 miles to school and back, through 10 foot snowdrifts, uphill both ways, chased by rabid dogs, in my socks. (although how they got in my socks, I'll never know.)" etc. etc.

3. Morely Dotes

@ Alex and Steve Skipper

"Suppose SP3 just happened to irretrievably break some parts of some peoples' XP. Incentive enough to 'upgrade' to Vista?"

No, it will be incentive to reimage the PC with XPSP2 (or Ubuntu, if my customer is smarter than average).

"...although some of the blame for this is the bloated "Internet security" suites that in my view are unnecessary for most users behind a decent router."

IME, there is not one single "Internet security suite" that is more than 15% effective, but every single one of them has a nasty habit of required 100% of the CPU time at critical moments. A good anti-virus (e.g., AVG, Avast!, ClamWin) and intelligent router policies (block all of China, Korea, Turkey, South America, and most of SE Asia, the Arab states, and Israel, plus any ISP known to be lackadaisical abotu security, such as T-Online and Fasthosts) are vastly better.

Of course, that doesn't help the average punter who's stuck in one of those places.

4. Anonymous Coward
    Black Helicopters

Vista? Huh! What is it good for?

It is easy to think that the sole reason for Vista is to make MS money... but this seems unlikely. Even MS must have come up with some justification for why Vista is the way it is. Perhaps the problem is that the people who drew up the basic essence of Vista were too easily swayed by the media. After all, what is the biggest stick that the media has used to bash XP? Security! So, MS decided increasing security would be priority 1. What else? OK, well what has the biggest technology related success in the last five years (this is before the Wii)? iPod. So MS decide that what people like is overpriced, stylish things that on the surface appear to be technologically advanced but are actually poor value for money. Hence the Aero interface etc.

And there we have it. Vista is designed to silence the media hacks on security and please the teenagers and gadget-philes. Unfortunately that leaves the bulk of the computer using world out in the cold. MS lazy programming has made sure that for most people the new stuff isn't worth the cost of replacing the old stuff. Vista moved the OS from staple goods to luxury goods!

If XP SP3 really does offer 15% gains in speed, increased stability and extra security, then one wonders how fast MS could have made their new OS if speed, compatibility and stability, rather than fancy looks and money saving design processes had been the priority. If MS had released XP v2.0 rather than Vista v1.0 and XP v1.3, and then withdrawn support for XP, I bet they would have shipped more OS's than they have with Vista. And our computers would all be faster and more secure, and would have lasted a couple of years longer, helping out both poor computer users and the environment.

But then perhaps there are other agendas with Vista. DRM certainly seems to be a part of the design of Vista, and the OS's drain on hardware resources seems unnecessarily great. Perhaps deals were done behind the scenes? The US government has been protecting MS monopolistic existence for years now and one must ask where the catch is. We already know for a fact that Hollywood gets support for films if they are receptive to suggestions made by the US government and its various bodies. Imagine this conversation: 'OK, 'insert name of MS rep' we'll make sure we don't penalise your monopoly status like those Europeans do. But perhaps you could do the hardware and multimedia sectors a favour or two when you make your next OS.'

OK, so this is a bit conspiracy theory - but judging on the behaviour of Bush's government you have to admit it isn't exactly out of the realms of possibility.

5. Herby

Remember the "Vista Killer"

In many respects it is Vista itself. I was listening to a tech radio show this last weekend, and the host said that the best upgrade to Vista was XP. At the moment not much that runs on Vista won't run on XP as well. That is the rub. When applications that are perceived to be necessary (the next version of Word, Excel, Powerpoint) only run on Vista people will finally upgrade. It won't be because they WANT to it will be because they have no other choice. Until then we will hope that activation for XP is still around for the users who are fine with that version.

Unfortunately operating systems aren't like cars, as even ones built in the early part of the last century (say 1930 or so) still work "just fine" on the roads today. They even use the same gasoline (wonder upon wonders). Lord help us if it weren't so, as I still appreciate my 1997 vehicle (long obsolete by operating system standards).

Me: I'd rather be using Linux, but here at work they some silly timecard application that only works under IE which I have to use to get paid (*SIGH*).

6. J
    Joke

@@AC

"Doesn't Ubunt*u* come with a spelling/grammer checker?"

Both my Kubuntu and SuSE 9.2 copies have the system-wide spelling checker (which means some things are being underlined here in Firefox as I type...), but the grammAr checker is not currently available...

7. Anonymous from Mars
    Heart

"Windows XP SP3 does not bring significant portions of Windows Vista functionality to Windows XP."

I find it funny that that line was quoted by 12 of the 13 comments in the first hour.

8. N

SP3 at last...

"Windows XP SP3 does not bring significant portions of Windows Vista functionality to Windows XP"

Thats good news then, the less 'Vista functionality' I have the better!

Lets hope it dosnt put the 'Fisher Price' look back into XP or muck around with Windows Genuine Disadvantage it may be worth installing, but Ill image my disc first, just in case theres any low underhand tricks from Microdaft.

But to be honest, Windows 2000 is still fine, under VMWare on my mac

9. BitTwister

@Steven Hewittt

"UAC which brings Windows in line with *nix". Oh dear <snigger> that's just sooo funny <wipes tear from eye>

You are Bill Gates and I claim my $10.

10. Lee
    Thumb Up

we shall see.. but

"Windows XP SP3 does not bring significant portions of Windows Vista functionality to Windows XP"

the best move MS have ever made for the punter?

11. Captain DaFt
    Happy

@ Daniel Snowden

"When Microsoft discontinues support for XP I have a nagging suspicion that they'll discontinue product activation. You'll be able to continue using XP but come reinstall time, guess what you'll have to install?"

Um, anything I want? These days, anything can be run, either with virtualization, or emulation. Case in point, I've got a test machine running Win 3.1 installed on Dosbox.

Finally able to play some old games I hadn't been able to in years! (Some of the oldies just don't run right or work at all on anything higher.)

12. joe
    Thumb Down

Am I ever so grateful

that I have my XP install disks. As was previously mentioned, I too wouldn't put it past M$ if they tweaked an update to break XP to a point of having some people go for Vista. XP works great for me and I too do not suffer from unexpected crashes or virus/trojan/malware problems. M$ has gone to the outermost extreme in securing Vista with annoying delays and popups asking "are you sure you want to do this?" dribble. If people were to become more savvy about security, it wouldn't be such an issue and maybe Vista would have turned out to be a more friendly OS. I have seen Vista in action on a new PC bundled with the software and I am not impressed at all. The security features almost make you out to be a moron..... but then so many people are so ignorant when it comes to security that M$ thinks it's best to hold your hand and let you do what IT wants. Do we blame them or the end user for all of this?

No thanx, I'll stick with what I got even if updates become unavailable for XP. If for some reason XP becomes unusable I may spring for the extra money and go to Mac or open source Linux distros. As for games, I'll buy a PS or Nintendo.

13. Anonymous Coward
    Alert

I find it funny

that with the exception of 5 or 6 posts there is an almost underwhelming support for Vista. Psst... MS, ever hear of the phrase "The customer is always right"? I do believe that the vast majority of customers have spoken... Vista sucks! And for those who haven't been alienated enough to buy a Mac or smart enough to handle *nix, the public is pretty much standing on the rooftops screaming "Viva la XP, you bastards"!

14. Victor Hugo Gil A.
    Gates Horns

Over and over again

I've read the white paper about the SP3, and the only thing they repeat over and over is that "Windows XP SP3 combines all previously released performance, security, and stability updates. It also provides a limited number of new and enhanced functionalities, although it does not significantly change the Windows XP experience or bring functionality from newer versions of Windows to Windows XP." I DON'T CARE, Really, i have Win XP because it performs better that Vista on many task, so, why would i want to change my speedy XP for a lengthy Windows Vista?

15. Alex

Re: @@AC

The red squiggles will show up in Firefox with XP, too.

16. Anonymous Coward
    Thumb Up

XP Service pack is good.

Now, just to be serious for a moment, I'm pleased that there is an XP service pack. This means that a re-install of XP will not require the 60+ critical downloads, plus reboots, and more downloads. This adds quite a bit to the re-install time of XP currently. If it's all rolled up into a service pack, well, that makes the useful life of XP that much better.

17. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

@Matt

I might be wrong, but I believe the correct spelling is "grammar". ROFLMAO

18. Ben Norris

Aero

That guy above obviously hasn't seen the power bill now that all his office machines are running Vista. It amazes me that people worry over leaving TVs on standby but choose Vista which not only takes a 20% performance hit pushing people to upgrade sooner to more power hungry machines, but those graphics cards which were sitting near idle most of the time before are now working overtime rendering pointless flashy windows that have absolutely no benefit to productivity.

19. Anonymous Coward
    Stop

Maybe on the DiscWorld

"IIS7 which completely rocks"

Did someone have the unmitigated gall to actually slip that in?

Rocks serve content rather better than IIS

20. Erik Aamot

@ Apple By Anonymous Coward

I'm typing this on PIII 933 with a 6 year old install of Win98SE ... which ...

.. eh .. so what if it crashes *rarely*? ... actually only when clicking hyperlinks in OE 6 opening in IE 6 ... was totally fine with IE 5.5 SP2<sigh>

no big deal to reboot once every 4-6 hours .. if that bothered me I'd run Win2k on PIII hardware

no virus infestation in 5+ years .. they write for NT5.1 these days. not 9.x .. granted I keep my preview pane off in OE and don't frequent .ru websites

Runs pre-2000-2001 games better than XP with smaller hardware requirements .. My favorate JoyStick, a MS Precision 2 USB, isn't XP compatible (now how f**k'n idiotic was that ?!?)

Have an XP Machine for newer games and programs, but didn't find the need based on Win2k or XP being more stable than Win98SE .. I think alot of Windows stability, or not, is a function of hardware quality and with apps, well, some apps are hogs and you just gotta know not to have 4 IE windows, Outlook, PhotoShop, Word and Solitaire open all at the same time !

My quality clone 200MMX still runs fine on it's last 1998 install of Win95 OSR2 FAT32 ... granted I only boot it up once every few months for the last 7 years .. but it was always stable too .. and the only advantage I saw in Win98 was the back and foward buttons in Windows Explorer and good USB support

21. mark woodward
    Alert

Ordinary Punters

The problem is, most of you on here are IT experts or heavyweight users. The "average" punter on the street knows no different. He see the latest MS ad showing this wonderful new system that can protect him and do evrything he/she wants. How is he to know any different? The MS marketing team are good at selling to the average user.

Unfortunetly Vista is here to stay...

woody

22. Robert Stokes
    Happy

It's all true

Put SP3 RC1 on my system last week. Though its a Intel E6850 with 3GB ram and a 512 video card, it is definately quicker under SP3 than it was under SP2.

As for Vista... we're system builders and so far this year we have had 2 people request Vista systems whilst everyone else wants to stick with XP - and we'll be doing this until we're no longer able to buy XP OEM media.

I've installed Vista Business 4 times and everytime have had problems. I'd like to say I can recall Windows ME with fondness but I shudder whenever someone brings an ME system in for repair). Vista IS the new ME but at least they've released a service pack for it. When ME is based partially upon Win2K, how come that has 4 service packs and ME has none. You can't seriously tell me that none of the code in ME has been borrowed from 2K.

That rug had better be a big one so that MS can quicly brush Vista under a corner of it and get onto putting out the next version.

23. Kenny Millar

Before you strike out at me...

And before you even think about using Vista...

Let me implore you to spend a week playing with Mac OS X Leopard.

All of those of you who have just issued a huge groan - but who have never actually used Mac OS X - shut up and think about it.

Better performance, better security, better price.

Don't even THINK about posting a rebuttal to this till you've actually tried it - other wise you'll just be writing about something you know nothing about.

24. Steven Hewittt
    Stop

@BitTwister

Love to see something a little more solid than a snigger and a quote....

From playing with Tiger recently I see little difference. Instead of clicking a padlock then getting a prompt I get the prompt when double clicking an icon...

Still yet to hear of anything reasonable in the comments of El Reg as to why Vista is so bad. Performance is bollocks (run it on modern hardware and it's fine - as the 300 PC's we've upgraded to Vista will testify), and drivers/applications all seem good so far. (Ranging from TortoiseSVN through to Visual Studio and Adobe Acrobat 7)

FYI to the people that are unable to grasp the basic concept of how Vista works (happy to slate it without even looking into it), Vista uses as much RAM as it can instead of just the bare minimum. Once an application requires RAM, the less used components of Vista are taken out of RAM so there's enough free for applications. Called making the most of what you have - if RAM is there then it should be used. If something with a higher priority requires it then the system will drop out components it doesn't require to free up some space on demand.

My 4 year old 512Mb Ultimate box that I use as Media Center ticks over fine. Freeview, Recording TV, Ripping/Converting/Storing DVD's, Music, Pictures etc. Post logon it takes up about 380Mb RAM. When installing my TV Tuner card I knocked a 256Mb module out by mistake. Vista still ran (albeit slowly), using up 160Mb RAM...

Come on - give me some reasons why I shouldn't have upgraded my systems to Vista from XP? (Cost is irrelevant as we have Software Assurance, we use hardware not older than 3 years and WGA is on XP too so that makes no difference....)

OSS Fanatics rant on here with little justification or even understanding of Vista. In fact there's even people chipping in saying they are staying away from Vista just based on what others have said. It's very sad that so many "professionals" are hell bent on their OS of choice or anti-MS religion that they won't even give the latest version of the worlds most popular desktop OS a try before posting comments and passing judgement - presumably as it's 'cool' to slate MS.

FYI - Got 12 Linux development servers and a few Mac clients that I manage/support too before the fanboi comments start...

25. Anonymous Coward
    Flame

Eeeee the good ole days

Remember the complaints when win95 came out

argggggg in realy needs 8mb of memory Who has such HUGE amounts

remember the complaints when XP came out.

Unstable , ate cpu .. etc etc etc

We assume when Vista dies we will hear Arggg i am staying on Vista

26. Mark Rendle
    Flame

@Almost everybody

Haven't you "me too!" idiots got an AOL chatroom to lower the collective IQ of? Not liking Vista is fine, not using Vista is fine, but repeatedly posting about how you don't like it and won't use it every time it gets mentioned on The Reg is pathetic. Haven't you got anything better to do?

27. Matt
    Coat

D'oh

First rule when making sarcastic posts about other people's bad spelling is to spell everything correctly yourself.

Where's the icon for eating humble pie?

28. Richard Austin

Vista vs Linux

I'm a network administrator and have worked with Windows systems for about 6 years now so have always liked the latest and greatest OS on my desktop. I bought Vista 64 bit on release and I've had no major problems with it at all but I just wasn't happy and couldn't quite put my finger on it.

I've since installed Fedora 8 on my main PC with my vista drive as an alternative boot option. I think I've booted Vista once in the last month.

I finally understand all the evangelism that seems to follow Linux. Granted when you want to do anything 'fancy' it can get complicated but my wife and 2 children barely even noticed I'd changed over for what they use. They still found the internet, managed to locate 'Word Processor' and manage to find my NAS server and play music.

I've since reinstalled the laptops in the house with Ubuntu and there hasn't even been a whimper from the 8 year old - just started to use it and off he went.

Now why should we be lining Bills pockets again?

Oh - well I suppose for the games on the 360 we are still making sure he can still afford socks.

29. Mike Dyne
    IT Angle

Vista

I have been forced in to using Vista. I must say that after an IMMENSE amount of tinkering and fiddling and general poking, I can't really complain. Does what I want it to do. Stable it is, runs the half dozen or so apps I use and works fine on my wireless network.

Mind, couldn't get it to talk to my 360. Ho hum!

30. Stephen Sharpe

Vista, XP, Leopard

Vista isn't the disaster it could have been. UAC is irritating, but you can turn that off. The new control panel names are also irritating, but not a showstopper.

For my sister's laptop it works fine. But I object to two things.

1) It's speed. Sorry, but it shouldn't be that slow on a Turion-X2 / 2Gb machine. I'm hoping SP1 will fix this. I upgraded from OS X Tiger to Leopard, on an old iBook G4 and yep it was often faster, definitely not slower.

2) And this is the fault of manufacturers. The amount of underpowered things they bung Vista on. Knock it off! Install XP.

31. TeeCee Gold badge

Yes, but.

So, Vista runs ok on modern hardware. I have this. Vista seems stable, I'll believe you, but to be on the safe side I'll hang on for SP1. Vista has a better firewall, nice. Decent parental control, handy. Better security, ho hum, hasn't really been a problem for me.

BUT! Remind me again why I *want* to upgrade? Exactly why I'd spend several days rebuilding my system to install something that just doesn't have that "killer app" effect? Yes, XP (post SP1) had this. The compatibility of 98SE and the stability of 2000 made it a winner for me.

Oh, and more GPOs? I think I'd rather have the DRM and WGA thank you. GPOs exist so that graduate trainees with the network admin passwords can arse-lick management security nazis and make life miserable for real IT professionals. I dread the day when Vista turns up at work.....

32. Rob Stiles

Vista Service Pack 1

Although I can't speak from first hand experience, a friend of mine says he altered a registry setting in Vista to download the Vista Service Pack 1 Beta. According to him it's "awesome".

I'm considering moving back to my 64 bit Vista if there is significant improvement. I'd like access to my 4GB of RAM again.

33. Ross Fleming

@Aaron

Need a reason for dx10? Try the Far Cry sequel.

34. Chika
    Flame

The customer is always...

...subjected to more and more cynical attempts to sales hype. "Right" has nothing to do with it. M$ are in the business to make money, and they make more out of selling a farty one brand new OS than they do from upgrading the old one, no matter how stable either is.

Yes, WXP was flaky when it came out, just as all the other M$ systems (whoever wrote them) were. Some of them improved with age and patching. Others didn't. It took M$ many years to admit how wrong they were to release ME, and I have no intention of waiting for years to hear them admit the same thing about Vista. I'll switch when *I'm* ready and when (if) I see that Vista is ready for me, and *not* when M$ thinks they need a cash infusion.

35. Soruk
    Gates Horns

Regarding the insignificant portions of Vista functionality in SP3...

I fully intend to take a Ghost (or similar) snapshot of my XP partition before installing this. Just in case....

36. Kevin Gordon
    Heart

Vista - I like it

I have no problem with Vista. I really think a lot of people haven't given Vista a proper chance and are putting it down because they have joined the anti-vista bandwagon.

I have Vista running on a two year old Core Duo 2.0Ghz laptop (not even Core 2 Duo), with 2GB RAM, an ATI X1600 video card, and a 5400rpm SATA Hard drive.

I did a clean install of Vista Home Premium over my previous XP SP2 build. Vista installed without a hitch, connected to the internet and downloaded all the device drivers required except for a modem driver, which I got from the manufacturers website.

Windows Update then installed all the latest updates, which installed without causing any problems.

I've installed all my usual applications, about 20 in all, the main ones which are Paint Shop Pro X2, Photoshop elements 6, utorrent, Office 2003, Ulead Videostudio 11, Ashampoo Burning Studio 7, ACDSee 10, amongst others. All these apps installed without a single problem, and work flawlessly.

OK, there are a few minor niggles - copy/move operations are slower than XP, I have to endure about a minutes worth of sluggishness when booting up for the prefetch/page file stuff to fill up, and yes I do notice it's not quite as snappy and responsive as XP. Without a doubt, 2GB of RAM is the sweetspot, and more would be better. However, to be honest I was running Vista with 1GB and it was perfectly fine. I didnt notice a huge increase in performance with 2GB, but it was so cheap to buy I couldnt resist.

For me at least, the good of Vista outweighs all the above bad. The eye-candy-licious Aero desktop, the built in search/indexing, Media Center, the new links pane in Explorer windows, the search box in the start menu, extra security (I've reduced UAC prompts with the Tweak-UAC utility), the sidebar and it's useful gadgets, the new My Photo's screensaver (which plays video too - neat), and many many other features which I can't think of right this minute, but would miss if I went back to XP.

I'm not some dumbass newbie/idiot user - I've used Windows since 3.0, and I work in the IT Desktop & Server Support dept of a large company, so I really do know more about Windows XP, Linux, and now Vista than the vast majority of general PC users.

I wouldnt go back to XP, despite the niggles with Vista, and given a year or so, when all computers come with 4GB of RAM as standard, and faster CPU's, and Vista SP1 and other forthcoming updates have ironed out the current problems, I'm sure a lot of those Vista haters out there will have converted too.

37. Anonymous Coward
    Linux

Re:Re: @@AC

"The red squiggles will show up in Firefox with XP, too." - Alex.

True, I use firefox at home and use the add-on spell checker, which is very handy as my spelling is horrific.

However its not quite as nice as a system wide spell checker I think. As not having to get it to relearn my words (Ach-no!!!, for example) would be quite nice. O'yes and not having to get it to reload the 'add-ons' every time it does an update.

I wish they used FF at work because IE 6 sux, and IE7 is to buggy with our curent crop of software.

As for Vista, yes I am sure that at some point we will get used to it, however I would rather go linux than get unwanted DRM shite.

-ano

38. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Any need

To be honest I have no need of vista, everything I do is either in SuSe or XP (games for xp). I am looking to upgrade my PC soon, and If I go to major vendors I have Vista shoved down my throat, the real problem with vista is not its compatibility, greater security or performance.

But the fact it offers me very little I don't already have, eventually I will have to upgrade to Vista, with games coming out only for vista though like Age of empires III (which was XP only but could run on 2K) they be artificially prevented from running on the systems. I wont get a mac OS, the only reason I have a commercial operating system is to play games and mac OS doesn't have as many out of the box.

Vista is just like high definition trying to create demand to supply. Rather than supplying an existing demand.

As for productivity, I am of the opinion that gui gets it the way (for most task) a good knowledge of console usage can increase your productivity greater than any swish interface. Search a 1000s files for a particular value or set of values, copy them into appropriate directories then create a summary of the information which is passed to a graphing application 40 line scripts, 30 mins tops. Or I could spend all day opening each file looking for the value and click drag to a new directory you get the drift.

How many times have you heard "I didn't know you could get the computer to do that"?

These products are for consumers, who in the majority do very little computing and while away doing repetitive task on a machine who's sole existence is to do it for you.

39. Rik
    Flame

@Steven Hewitt

"Vista uses as much RAM as it can instead of just the bare minimum. Once an application requires RAM, the less used components of Vista are taken out of RAM so there's enough free for applications."

So tell me, if it doesn't *NEED* it, what business does it have grabbing all that RAM in the first place?

40. Peter Kay
    Thumb Up

Vista SP1 RC isn't bad

It still has a few bugs, and personally I think driver support is a bit crap (on Vista x64. Not specifically Microsoft's problem - big hint, Nvidia, Creative Labs..), but it's definitely better than XP in some areas. The interface is much smoother, especially under multiple monitors. Networking is fast. File copies managed to max out an old server on the network, something XP couldn't do (although NFS is buggered in the latest build. Then again Vista actually *has* NFS and SFU in Vista Ultimate. XP doesn't).

I'm reasonably hopeful SP1 will make using Vista 24/7 a definite option.

The only real worries I have is that it's mostly bug fixes, when the interface and UAC definitely need tuning. Losing accelerated DirectSound is an arse too, because Alchemy doesn't work with all games - but then again, Microsoft have done what was asked and made the kernel more stable - you can't have it both ways

41. Busted

Re: @BitTwister by Steve

"Still yet to hear of anything reasonable in the comments of El Reg as to why Vista is so bad. Performance is bollocks (run it on modern hardware and it's fine"

Well I didn't need to try it on 300 odd machines as the 8 core 4GB Raid 0 desktop I built and installed Vista on acted like a Celeron 2.6Ghz 512MB with XP SP2. So to reiterate what everyone else is saying Vista is a lot slower than XP FACT!!!

Despite this I do think Vista has some good points however like Stilton Cheese it still needs some maturing before it's going to be any good. It's quiet possible that vista is the ME of its time however W2k and XP came after that and were both good IMO.

PS. I'm using a MAC right now for business and XP for home/gaming.

42. wibbilus maximus
    Boffin

Vista

Can people who are comparing XP to Vista take a step back and THINK first. Vista is no WAY similar to ME. ME was an attempt to remove DOS from Windows 98. This rendered it unstable. Vista is built on XP and is NOT unstable as an OS however, due to the lack of driver support provided by manufacturers, there is a lot of hardware that DOES cause the OS to crash. This problem existed for EVERY version of windows since 95.

As for Vista being a resource hog, It is clear that people have very short memories. Windows 98 ran fine on 32MB of RAM (24MB was recommended, 16MB was minimum), however the resource hog XP needed 64MB minimum, TWICE as much, and had 128MB recommended. And that was only after 3 years!! XP is 6 years old!! Relaistically now if you have under 512MB of ram XP will run like a dog. Vista memory specs are in truth just double what you would expect to run XP on and with memory prices being so low now, this is MUCH cheaper then the hardware upgrade needed to go from 98 to XP.

Finally for those of you who are reluctant to change, how long were you stuck on windows 3.1 before you moved to windows 95? The change is NOT about moving from XP to Vista, it's moving from 32Bit to 64Bit computing. Try using XP64, it's a whole new world of hurt that even ME can't match!! Personally i see no advantage to using Vista 32Bit and if you don't have a 64Bit machine, stick with XP a bit longer. XP is still a solid OS (for a Microsoft operating system anyway!!), but after having been using Vista for a year and replacing non-compatible hardware, I have a computer now that doesn't crash (it actually is a bit more reliable then XP for that) and has no compatability problems.

Summing up:

XP: If you can't change to 64Bit, stick with it a while longer

Vista: Look to build a new machine and consider peripherals and also enquire about software. It's a bigger step then people realize to go from 32 to 64Bit but it's a change that will have to be made

I went through the same problems when I went from 16bit to 32 but this time i was better prepared

43. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

it isn't about Vista being rubbish - it's about not needing it

XP works perfectly well for me. Moving to Vista would serve no purpose other than to line Bill Gates pockets further.

If it ain't broke, don't fix it.

44. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

re Cynical thought

I doubt Microsoft would do anything dodgy like sneaking in crippleware to reduce the performance of XP in a bid to push people towards Vista, or faking an error in Windows 3.1 and forcing a crash in order to prevent it being run on DR-DOS...

Hang on, I'm getting confused now.

45. Matthew
    Boffin

@ wibbilus maximus

Hi mate, you do make fair points and try to make a balanced argument (nice one) but you are forgetting something very important - Vista is SHIT.

46. Chris Fleming

Poor Comtech Sod...

Yip 6 years... Hold on a sec. This program has performed... 6 years is a long time for an eX to Pee. An XP, just old water.

47. Frankaz
    Stop

like Internet Explorer 7. Have done a slipstream to see if it had been included and it hasn't. Even better - they removed it from Windows Update!

Same applies for WMP11 too. Keep to SP2 - even though it's 100+ updates at least you get to choose everything.

48. Daniel
    Boffin

@ Steve Hewitt

[Excised by Reg moderator.]

I must take issue with your disparaging remarks to those (the vast majority) of posters here that find Vista to give an unacceptable ROI or Cost/Benefit ratio.

I too have a large infrastructure that I operate in. Mine might even be larger. I recently led a test team that rolled Vista out on 1500 high-end desktops as a testbed. I have 40,000 units that will be replaced over the next two fiscal years (with more to follow), and wanted to find out upon which side of the Vista/XP fence my organization should stand. The results were quite definitive. My team found that Vista operated 28%-30% more slowly than an equivalent XP box overall. My organization manipulates very large files and drawings and must have high render times with minimal file transfer lag. Vista could not touch XP in either area. A single user will transfer or operate on several very large files in a day. Each operation under Vista took 19% longer than the equivalent render operation under XP. File transfer times were even more disappointing.

Software compatibility was another disappointment. Vista would not even try to run several of our core applications, and the ones that did run did not generally run as well as they did under XP. There were a few examples that did not follow this trend, but I cannot justify moving my organization to Vista, given all of these negative factors. We keep Microsoft experts in-house, on contract with Microsoft. Even these experts could not rectify the various issues cited above, without additional patches and the promises (genuinely offered and firmly believed by these fine people) that upcoming revisions would fix these problems.

I am less concerned with DRM, 3rd party software, or software firewalls. I have an excellent firewall solution in place at my borders, with internal firewalling and 'dirty word' checking operating between business centers and have no need of another. If I did want an onboard firewall, given the other results of my Vista/XP volumetric analysis, I would probably not select Vista's firewall anyway, just on general principles. My organization prohibits external media from being introduced into the workplace, although our vetting of user requested software is very easy and straightforward, and we don't remove benign games from the OS.

We are using XP and will continue to use XP until we cannot

I'm sure Microsoft will try force XP obsolescence as soon as possible, due to direct and indirect revenue flow dependencies, but I now hope that market forces will 'strongly encourage' their executive officers to reexamine the folly of Vista and will deliver an OS that users and IT staff want, rather than what is best for Microsoft. I am fully prepared to examine a full conversion away from Microsoft, if the need presents itself. I have worked in several different OS environments before and am willing to steer this organization in that direction, if need be. I rather hope, however, I won't need to.

49. BitTwister

@Steven Hewittt

> Love to see something a little more solid than a snigger and a quote....

But you use Linux, so you should already be well aware that UAC is nothing remotely like the security/privilege structure of any *nix system and hardly qualifies as "being in line with *nix". At best, UAC is an annoying bolt-on masquerading (badly) as a root account. Someone here has already commented on its nuisance value (along with many other similar comments elsewhere). No surprise, considering how Windows users have had 'ease of use' (at the expense of designed-in OS security) drummed into them since Windows v1.02. The OS needs a rewrite to address *that* little issue but then, just about everything which currently runs would break. Microsoft seems to have shot itself in both feet with this one.

> yet to hear of anything reasonable in the comments of El Reg as to why Vista is so bad. Performance is bollocks (run it on modern hardware and it's fine (...)

Which rather neatly answers your own question, surely? Not everyone wants/is able to rebuild their kit to something which simply shouldn't have to be so high-powered in order to adequately run an OS. It's just a program launcher with some housekeeping/convenience tools built in.

> Once an application requires RAM, the less used components of Vista are taken out of RAM so there's enough free for applications. (...) if RAM is there then it should be used.

Well, it seems a promising sign that Microsoft's poor memory management is finally growing up. 'course, this is nothing new in *nix but I suppose Microsoft will still claim it as their own 'innovative approach'.

> give me some reasons why I shouldn't have upgraded my systems to Vista from XP?

I'm not really bothered what OS you run, to be quite honest. I'd only pointed out the ludicrous 'UAC brings Windows into line with *nix' comment.

> Cost is irrelevant

Although it's doubtless a contributing factor to why your Vista experience seems much shinier than the majority of Vista users.

> presumably as it's 'cool' to slate MS.

I suppose some do it for that reason but on the whole, Microsoft's inglorious track record doesn't exactly encourage shouts of unbridled joy from Windows users.

50. Steven Hewittt

@Busted and @Rik

@Rik

Vista will load as much of the OS and related applications into RAM.

Whilst the RAM is sitting there, why not use as much as possible for stuff you are likely to use? See the SuperFetch section in TechNet Magazine:

http://www.microsoft.com/technet/technetmag/issues/2007/03/VistaKernel/default.aspx

"After you’ve used a Windows Vista system a while, you’ll see a low number for the Free Physical Memory counter on Task Manager’s Performance page. That’s because SuperFetch and standard Windows caching make use of all available physical memory to cache disk data. For example, when you first boot, if you immediately run Task Manager you should notice the Free Memory value decreasing as Cached Memory number rises. Or, if you run a memory-hungry program and then exit it, or just copy a very large file, the Free number will rise and the Physical Memory Usage graph will drop as the system reclaims the deallocated memory. Over time, however, SuperFetch repopulates the cache with the data that was forced out of memory, so the Cached number will rise and the Free number will decline."

Hope that has answered your question.

@Busted

Seriously, if you are having performance issues on that sort of setup I strongly suggest removing the network cable ASAP, do a low-level format, then virus scan and re-install. If it's slow enough to post in a comments section of a IT news website with that sort of hardware then you've gotta have something dodgy on that box.

Alternatively please tell me why I have yet to hear of a single complaint about Vista performance from any desktop user. FYI the typical setup is a Dual Core 2.6Ghz with 1Gb RAM and a single 10k rpm HD. Not a patch on your system.

This isn't forgetting friends and family that have Vista on their new laptops. I haven't been round to look at their PC or anything. Just noticed they had a new Vista laptop (thus not a patch on your system). I asked how they were getting on with the new machine and they said.... fine.

Suggest maybe looking into what is eating up your resources. Try the new diagnostics and troubleshooting tools in Vista. They are really very good. (Reliability and Perfomance monitor is excellent.)

The guy opposite me at work was very unsure about Vista on his machine after using XP for years. Guess what he said after I re-imaged his desktop with Vista.... go on, take a guess.... "wow, it's actually faster than the old XP build - thought Vista was slower?" (FYI He's MCAD, CheckPoint and Oracle certified with a good 10 years in IT as a developer)

I find it simply incredible that you think the worlds largest software company, would release the latest version of the worlds most popular desktop operating system and it's slow on your way above average setup.

P.S. I'm typing this on my HOME Vista PC with a <2Ghz single core Athlon and 512Mb RAM. And yes, it works fine. Ask my wife who is using this box as her media center - e.g. Freeview EPG, streaming music, photo's and DVD's etc at the same time as me being logged onto the system writing this post.

This topic is closed for new posts.