back to article Kaspersky false alarm quarantines Windows Explorer

A faulty signature update from Kaspersky Lab on Wednesday flagged up Windows Explorer (explorer.exe) as infected with a low-risk virus, Huhk-C. As a result the core Windows component was quarantined or worse. Kaspersky released a revised update alongside advice on how to recover legitimate system and application files from …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.

Page:

1. Paul Donnelly
    Linux

Yo Mikey

Is that why Microsoft set up XP to look EXACTLY like Mac OSX and function EXACTLY like Mac OSX... which is a proprietary front end to, you guessed it, a Linux Kernel.

And as to paying the retraining costs.... who paid for all the training in the first place? Was it the sysadmins? I think it was more likely their employers, and unless I'm mistaken, there are new courses with every new version of windows.... so instead of doing the Vista course, why not do RedHat, SuSe (and I defy anyone who doesnt respect Novell as a player in the networking field) or even Ubuntu.

Right, rant over, I'll get my coat.

2. James Butler

Psst ... PDonnelly

(It's a BSD kernel ...)

And system ... Posix AVs don't need to run as root, they only protect the userland. If anything gets past that, into the OS core layer, then it's not a virus. It's a rootkit or whathaveyou, and any modern distro comes with some hardening and antirootkit stuff. And, btw, my Linux boxes loaded with Clam AV and Panda haven't seen anything challenging in the past few years. Posix desktop users don't usually need to run servers (bind, etc.etc.) any more than Windows desktop users need to run Exchange Servers or IIS. Besides, Posix anti-attack progs are far superior to anything in Windowsland, because their programmers understand security better and are supporting much more secure systems out-of-the-box than Windows programmers possibly could.

Flame away!

3. Not That Andrew

@Paul Donnelly

OSX does not use Linux kernel in any shape or form, it is partly based on BSD on and it uses a derivative of the Mach microkernel.

4. Brendan Murphy

progman not an alternative

Since SP2, the progman.exe file explorer has been crippled. It only exists to allow older software installs to run. So you can't run it as an alternative to explorer.exe.

5. Jeff Hansen
    Happy

wrong how?

windows/M$ products ARE viral, period.

6. jim
    Happy

Firefox

I don't care about MS Windows explorer 'cos I use .

I run Chinese anti virus and it is very good.

7. Rui Ribeiro
    Jobs Halo

Anti-virus is so 90s

Anti-virus are only needed on the desktop because Windows has a flawed architecture, and on top of that almost everybody is dumb enough to double-click anything that comes by, no matter from where.

Can´t get how many guys can find normal to use an anti-virus nowadays. Been using os/x and couldn´t have been more happier.

Page:

This topic is closed for new posts.