back to article Nvidia drivers named as lead Vista crash cause in 2007

Nvidia, not Microsoft, is apparently responsible for the drivers that caused the most Windows Vista crashes last year. That's if documents posted as part of a lawsuit probing PCs' ability to run the new OS are anything to go by. The files in question are a batch of Microsoft emails, available to read in a single PDF here. …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.

Page:

1. Scott Earle
    Thumb Down

The other 17% 'unknown'

A couple of people have mentioned Creative, and I have not seen a good driver escape their codemills for a good few years (Maybe Audigy was the last?). I hereby nominate them as a strong candidate for the title 'unknown', and am surprised at the Ars for not hinting at it themselves. 'heystoopid' said they should be 'top of the list' ... looks like they are a strong contender for sitting in fourth place :)

Can anyone remember the last *good* Creative product? I had an AWE64 Gold that was pretty damn good in its day. SoundBlaster Live! was pretty good, too.

2. Aaron
    Alert

Think Different 

With so much Windows love going around, it might be time to get a new girl friend and give OSX a try. I've always marveled at how fast Steve gets his crew to turn software around. Why are software requirement specs for OSX always half of XP (not to mention Vista)? Must be the differences in OS overhead.

Give it a shot, guys... nothings perfect, but my productivity and happiness has gone way up since I dumped Microsoft (and my wallet's thicker too).

There, I said it... that was easy!

3. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

@ Mark Honman

On your UNIX comments.... completely agree... however, you forgot to mention

 OSX 

After all, they are UNIX 03 certified. C'mon, give credit where do.

4. Brian

creative..

To all of you wondering why creative isn't on the list.. the audio stack was moved out of the kernel. An audio driver can't crash the system now.

5. Peter Kay

Nvidia/Vista crashes

I've had several - the driver *really* doesn't like you not using plug and play monitors, and Vista will report the driver errored and had to be restarted. I'm fairly certain the suspend/restore BSODs have been due to Vista, too.

Forget all this 'driver model wasn't stabilised' bollocks - Nvidia and others have had *well* over a year and a half to create a working driver. The real problem is that they've chosen to spend all the time getting an extra 2fps out of OblivCrysisLifeProBlaster v3, instead of really solid 2D, colour management, refresh rate control, multi monitor support and so on.

6. Andy Tyzack

statistics

are purely shit.

7. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

@ Who's /= Whose

Who's = Who is

"Whose" is correct in the demonstrated context.

Nice try though.

Page:

This topic is closed for new posts.