back to article Intel hit with largest ever EU fine

The European Commission has found Intel guilty of anti-competitive behaviour and fined it over a billion euros. The Commission has ordered the chip giant to refrain from any equivalent practises in the future. It ruled the firm damaged competition by excluding rival AMD from markets. Competition Commissioner Neelie Kroes said …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.

Page:

1. Anonymous Coward
    Black Helicopters

Intel inside (everything)

I wonder if this could have anything to do with why Apple suddenly deciding to put Intel chips in all its hardware?

2. Anonymous Coward
    Thumb Up

What would be somewhat fair...

...would be if Intel products were subject to an embargo until arrangements to pay the fine were worked out.

As far as Intel's "mischievous" behavior, would you enjoy it if you lost your job or didn't get a job you applied for because someone bribed the CEO to screw you over?

3. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

it should have been 500 Billion Euro

Intel should have been fined 500 Billion for their crimes and AMD should get all but the EU court costs.

4. Bob Gateaux

I shall buy Intel next for my company

I decide on what to buy and I must always choose Intel as it runs better with the Microsoft systems and does not need the Linux like AMD does and is faster too. This means we can still use our best applications at work.

5. Keith Doyle
    Unhappy

Old news

This sort of thing has been going on for decades in the US. 20 years ago I was working on a graphics terminal project. At that point we were basically an Intel shop, but we had National Semi & Motorola in to show their new CPUs. As a programmer, I much preferred either the Nat Semi or Moto parts, because they were much cleaner designs and were not limited to 64K memory segments for a product that needed more than 64K for screen memory. But our preferences got vetoed by the head of hardware engineering, and I ultimately found out why-- Intel engineers stepped in and gave them the complete hardware design fror the project so our engineers didn't have to do anything but put their name on it. Intel made it totally easy to be a hardware engineer for intel products, as they would do your work for you, so no wonder they always chose Intel. Is that anti-competitive? I'm not sure, but it always did seem to me to be a bit underhanded, and at least, we could have fired all our own hardware engineers if upper management had known about it...

6. Richard Tobin
    Thumb Up

AMD not the injured party

@Bassey: No, AMD are not the injured party. Or if they are injured, then they can perfectly well sue Intel themselves. The EU is taking this action because anti-competitive behaviour costs us, the consumers, money. So it's right that the money goes to the EU (thus reducing our taxes) rather than to other chip manufacturers.

7. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

meh

It's only us schlubs that actually have to pay fines (parking, speeding, etc).

It might be nice inducement against the delaying tactics used in these cases if the fines grew (and had to be paid).

8. baz
    Joke

hmmm...

No mention of McCains who have literally been selling chips by the bag for a quid or so!

9. b166er
    Thumb Up

How refreshing....

...a democrat!

10. Jonathan

@Bob Gateux

AMD CPUs need linux? Ba ha ha ha ha!

Havent you heard? AMD CPUs only run communist software.

Intel CPUs, on the other hand, will bribe you into not buying products from its competitors.

11. Anonymous Coward
    Joke

@Bob Gateaux

http://bymblr.ytmnd.com/

Page:

This topic is closed for new posts.

Other stories you might like