back to article Fanboi site squeaks on crocked iMacs

A grassroots fanboi site has sprung up to document what would appear to be widespread hardware problems with Apple's latest iMac desktops. In recent weeks, iMac buyers have complained of cracked screens, flickering displays, and even machines that turned up dead on arrival. Scott Pronych - a web designer based in Bedford, Nova …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.

Page:

1. Joey

Design fault?

It is clear that the 'design fault' is not with the computer itself, it is the packaging. Considering the size and weight of a 27" iMac, it does need to be suspended in a shock-proof box. I had exactly the same thing happen with a 40" Sony Bravia tele, arrived with a cracked screen. Although the carton contained the television, it was never going to protect it from a drop or face on impact in the back of a lorry. Expanded polystyrene has virtually no shock absorbing qualities and transmits the energy of any impact to the contents very efficiently. The iMac 27" packaging is not fit for purpose and Apple are finding out the hard way! It's a lovely machine in the flesh.

1. GazElm

@Joey

Expanded polystyrene has virtually no shock absorbing qualities?

Really?

That'll by why they use it in crash helmets then

1. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

Polystyrene crash-hats?

I rather think that a material known as Kevlar is involved as well, somewhere along the line.

1. Anonymous Coward
          FAIL

Ever bought a bicycle helmet?

Polystyrene is a remarkably good shock absorber, and that accounts for why EVERYONE uses it for packaging.

Also, Kevlar is used to stop pointy objects from going through something. It specifically spreads the load from a point impact across a large surface area (think bullet proof vests here). The Polystyrene then absorbs the impact.

2. Anonymous Coward
          Paris Hilton

Clueless

It is the Polystyrene that does *all* of the shock absorbing. The Kevlar is only there prevent objects from penetrating the polystyrene. And the wearers skull.

2. Matthew Collier

@Polystyrene crash-hats?

Only sometimes, and only reasonably recently. Originally, "old-fashioned generic hard stuff", then polycarbonate, then fibreglass, then GRP/Kevlar/Carbon Fibre etc. mixes....

However, the hard outer part, is for imapct protection, the polystyrene inner, is the bit designed to provide the energy absorbtion, to protect the soft squishy human part, which is does very well, once only...

Some polystyrene is made to be hard and brittle (but weak), as a brick - some, is soft and squishy (I'd hazzard a bet, the more expensive stuff...)

3. Matt 95
    IT Angle

Meh

When I still blogged (I stopped blogging about 8 months ago) we got a load of Dell desktops that were DOA* over a one month period. I blogged about it, even our head of IT did but we didn't get into the register at all. WTH Reg?!?

*Of the 45 we got in 4 shipments, 28 were dead most likely from not being handled properly somewhere along the way. This Apple shipment sounds like much the same thing, someone in China dropped a shipping container.

4. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

For what it's worth...

My iMac did arrive with a ~1" hole punched through the boxes. Thankfully it was in the back, and didn't cause any damage, but things like this point to some carrier manhandling.

5. Anonymous Coward
    Happy

Mine works.

;-)

But I found the site interesting nevertheless.

6. Anonymous Coward
    Paris Hilton

extra QC testing

Someone must've pissed off the teamster's union.

Gravity test?...drop... Check! Gravity works! Boot test? ...kick... Check! It's been booted! etc. etc.

7. Adrian Esdaile
    Boffin

Hands up all those....

...who are sensible enough to realise that someone, somewhere, dropped the shipping container a metre or two? Or the container shifted on the ship...

Some years ago, when the Sydney White Bay container terminal was still running, I was passing over the Harbour Bridge as a container ship that had seen some serious weather was berthing - it was listing badly, with most of the containers on one side missing, and the rest looked like someone had spilled their Lego. Messy & expensive!

8. Adrian Esdaile
    Megaphone

Oh, and by the way

You can keep your Speccies, your C64s, your ZX81s, even keep your MicroBees...

I owned the KING of 80's computers...

The DIck Smith WIZZARD!

Yes, TWO 'Z's because it was that powerful!

9. JC 2
    Stop

WHY?

Why on earth would someone ordering an expensive computer accept the delivery when the shipping container has holes or crushed areas? That's exactly the sort of situation when you refuse shipment or at the very least insist on well documented signed receipt from the delivery man before you sign off on it. Then you are not left trying to convince Apple (Or whoever...) to make the buck stop there, with evidence of shipping damage.

Likewise, the shipping should refuse the package if it's leaving the factory or warehouse that way. Leave it where the accident happened.

10. Keith Wingate
    Joke

Crocked? I'd be pissed!

See, if I could afford over-priced gear like an iMac, I'd NEVER let it drink!

You see, "crocked" is Yank-speak for "pissed", which is Yank-speak for really, really cross, which is Yank-speak for .... oh, never mind!

Page:

This topic is closed for new posts.

Other stories you might like