back to article Apple unwraps app store for proper computers

Apple has launched an online applications store for its Mac computers. Cupertino hopes that its latest cloudy marketplace will replicate the success of its iPhone apps store and bring on board plenty of software coders for developing progs on the company's latest operating system, Mac OS X. The latest store went live in the …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.

Page:

1. ThomH

It's not a package manager

It's a lot simpler than that. It's just applications. In fact, it's just an application storefront that can download and install the things. And keep track of your licences. But there's no uninstallation and no dependency tracking — though per the admissibility rules there are also no dependencies. But it's a technical difference nonetheless.

This is news because (i) it's the first major push to create an electronic store for desktop software; and (ii) some people fear it points to a locked-down future for Apple's desktops. I don't agree with them, but nevertheless it makes the story more interesting for a bunch of people. The story also contributes to the iOS versus Mac OS narrative.

Compared to a Linux package manager, the newsworthy differences are infrastructure (ie, paid apps, lots of commercial developers and commercial release cycles) and prominence. You're right that, technologically, there's nothing new here.

1. J. Cook Silver badge
    Coat

Heh.

One has to wonder how many of the apps are fart apps.

Mines the one with the gas mask in the pocket.

2. maclovinz

The Death of Mac Freeware?

These f-tards are removing their "Downloads" page from the site.

Effing Apple, pissing me off again. First the XServe, now this? XD

I just realized...this seems to mean that NO apps will be freeware unless you stumble upon them on the Internet (which can take forever).....

They're screwing "community" (open-source/freeware) developers with this. I know it's probably hard to understand for Apple, but some people just want to help out, and NOT make money off of their creations. But then, that WAS always Jobs' mindset: "How can I make money off of this?"

Soon, they'll discontinue OS X Server (the OS), get rid of desktops completely, then place a beautiful hand-polished gun in the top drawer of my desk for me to shoot myself in the head with.

Where's Lewis Black when I need him?

1. Chad H.
      Thumb Down

Except....

There are plenty of free apps in the iOS app store, apple host as much as you like for the small cost of joining the developer program.

2. Anonymous Coward
      Happy

Well...

You willingly signed up for the Jobs circus and now you complain about it? The phrase "Made your bed, now lay in it.", springs to mind mate!

3. uhuznaa
      Coat

There are more than enough Mac software catalogues

I have downloaded heaps of free and Open Source software for my Mac and I have *never* used Apple's download page. If anything, Apple's download page going away will open the opportunity for another community site. So stop whining, please.

4. JonHendry

Apps can be free

Mac App Store apps don't have to cost money. And the developer can simply opt not to write the code to check the "receipt" for their app, so the DRM pretty much goes away.

5. ThomH

Besides the plentitude of freeware within the App Store

There's macupdate, versiontracker, tucows, etc, etc. In summary: Apple still list and provide free software, lots of people outside of Apple continue to list and provide free software.

Your conclusion is unsupportable.

3. spegru
    Badgers

Today HMV/Waterstones

Tomorrow PC world.

.......hang on, perhaps that would be a good thing!

4. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Lay what in your bed?

>>Made your bed, now lay in it.", springs to mind mate!

LIE in it! Unless you're thinking of laying an egg (or Paris Hilton...)

5. Anonymous Coward
    Go

Step 1 ...

... Apps go to apple as source, out as X86 to the store

Step 2. Nvidia launch ARM CPU

Step 3: Apple launch ARM macbook air with 50 hour battery, and all the magic app store apps work, as do all the iphone and ipad ones too.

Yawn, bound to happen though

6. JonHendry

Nope

"Apps go to apple as source,"

Apps go to Apple as binaries.

It'd be easy enough for Apple to enable cross-compilation, so vendors could recompile their App Store apps for ARM and Intel.

7. Watashi

Apple vs Google

Will I be able to run my Apple PC apps on Windows 7? Because I'll be able to run my Chrome apps on W7, linux AND Apple OS.

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Childish.

You know the answer to that childish and petulant question. No, it isn't abusive or monopolistic. Idiot.

Page:

This topic is closed for new posts.