back to article Feeling heat from Macs, Microsoft sells PCs sans crapware

With Apple Macs in its sights, Microsoft has been quietly reselling PCs that offer customized, slimmed-down installations of Windows designed to run faster and to be easier to set up and maintain. The software company has been selling computers preloaded with the custom Windows image since at least October 2009 under the a …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
      1. Anonymous Coward
        WTF?

sorry you are

confusing IS directors and mangers as experts LOL. Ohh shiny Apple kit syndrome.

1. Mickey Finn
    Boffin

Signature PC's

I have only ever built PC's and installed vanilla copies of Windows (whatever version) and so I am used to running these "super fast" Windows boxes...

Didn't stop me replacing PC's with Mac's though!

It is impossible to remove the crapware from Windows and have it install and run, it's built in... out of the box!

1. Pawel 1

Title

Have a look at windows embedded standard. They have all the tools, they just won't make them available to the "general public".

2. Anonymous Coward
      Linux

re: It is impossible to remove the crapware from Windows

The LitePC tools make W2000/XP run like it should, Vista wasn't worth saving, I've heard that W7 isn't at all bad out of the box. Too late for me though. :-)

2. Neil 38

Keys

If they care about clean install performance so much why don't they allow you to use an OEM key on a retail DVD?

It took me 2 hours to remove all the sodding bloatware from my last new Sony Vaio.

3. shadowphiar
    FAIL

The Gerald Ratner School of Marketing

"more storage space for important things like that two-hour video that your buddies made of you trying to reach the top of the climbing wall."

I checked, and yes that's a genuine quote from the site.

Where do these people get the idea that mocking your potential customer is a good business plan?

1. phoenix
      Joke

Worked famously up till now

so why change a habit of a lifetime.

1. Naughtyhorse
        Joke

i'd still

rather be mocked by redmond than fucked by jobs :D

2. bobbles31

Apple

Thats not a title, that's a comment!

4. Danny 5
    Thumb Down

are you serious?

Microsoft feeling heat from MAC's? really? are you sure? aren't M$ fanbois (like me), not extremely anti-anything apple?

does a MAC provide an alternative to windows, if you're a gamer? has anything changed between MS and apple over the past 15 years?

either i'm completely missing the point, or this article is just plain stupid.

1. Rebajas
      Badgers

If you're a gamer...?

Seriously, I think some gamers are living in the cloud. PC gaming is a niche*, and the Mac has been pushing steadfastly into that niche in recent years. With Steam's release on Mac last year that situation took an huge step forward (even if not all the games came with it).

As for the last 15 years; Apple was pretty much on it's knees 15 years ago yet today it dominates many of the markets MS has been targeting for what seems like forever; mobiles, music, tablets, mobile computing. And it's doing it with pricey hardware that should by all means make entry to market more difficult for them.

* I'm a a PC gamer and I recognise that the field we're playing on is changing (Been into GAME recently?). But I also recognise that my niche is being threatened by consoles far more than Macs. Ironically, MS's own console...

1. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

Ironically, MS's own console...

Who'd a thunk it!

Place foot at end of shotgun and PULL!

MS has been slowly attempting to kill off the PC for years sometimes I think even they are sick of windoze... they are totally obsessed not with inovation, but with doing what other people do.. just look at bing, google already does it, MS are the catchup new-comers they lost the lead when they decided that inovation was not for them.

5. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Been doing this for years......

As I always build my own computers this is not a problem for me. However lots of friends and family also ask me to build computers for them, which typically I refuse unless they want something out of the ordinary. So they end up with a Dell or HP or whatever. I then either strip out all the crap or do a fresh install of of whatever flavour OS they want, these days typically W7.

I have always thought that the various OEM's should offer this as an option when ordering, just a simple tickbox - 'No freeware, No Trial Software' on the order page.

Hope this catches on! It will save me the trouble..........................

1. Anonymous Coward
      FAIL

Eh hmm

at the danger of sounding trite those OEMs are the very same that put the crap on there in the first place and there is a good reason - kickbacks from the software houses.

6. Anonymous Coward
    Badgers

Optimised by default

> a suite of useful Microsoft applications and services, optimized versions of certain applications

...surely these should be optimised by default anyway? And if they consider 'Live' to be a suite of useful apps, then I'll have some of what they're smoking.

>all of the appropriate drivers for the hardware type in question

Dunno about you, but I ignore all of these, and go straight for the latest versions direct from the manufacturers directly after the main install. It would be much cooler if MS would provide enough drivers to get basic internet connectivity during the build (perhaps by running as a virtual drive, ala UBUNTU, and installing a proper image in the background), so all the latest drivers for everything else (and security patches maybe?) can be downloaded during the build process. That would definitely cut down on 'driver bloat' (mainly on the install media it has to be said), and give you the best drivers available.

7. The Original Ash
    Joke

"Selling PCs without crapware"

They're shipping Linux?

[/tongueincheek]

8. Anonymous Coward
    Gates Horns

Dear Dell and other partners...

We have made it so that you must install all this crapware to compete selling our product. Now in our usual knife in the back of our partners, we are going to use that against you and sell our 'better' machines and you lot are so deep into your marketing and promotion contracts there is nothing you can do about it.... mwah ha ha!

9. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Funny that

This would be why all the 'small' PC OEMs (including myself) use the OEM Windows disk, latest version of the drivers, then the specific list of customer-specified software - and don't install anything else AT ALL.

And why I wanted to throttle the idiot in Marketing who bought a stack of Acer laptops.

Not only were they unsuitable for the intended usage, but they were absolutely *full* of crapware that we had to spend several hours removing before they'd even start the application they'd been bought for.

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Should have told the idiot

After getting your boss on-side of course, that they were an unsupported product and need to be sent back.

They will just do it again otherwise.

10. Destroy All Monsters Silver badge
    Thumb Down

"Optimized version of an experience"?

“Also, less trialware and sampleware means more storage space for important things like that two-hour video that your buddies made of you trying to reach the top of the climbing wall.”

Insulting the customer again, I see. Jerks.

Any price differential? I would not expect a deviation from the trusted

"more usability by removing crud == it will cost ya"

And will you get an install DVD? I doubt it.

11. Tom 7

preloaded with the custom Window

so it is preloaded and not sans crapware and then there will be an update.....

12. Geoff Mackenzie

"Just the software you need"

So, finally I can have Windows without MSIE and Windows Media Player?

1. Anonymous Coward
      Joke

I read this as...

So, finally I can have Windows without Windows, MSIE and Windows Media Player?

DOS/command prompts FTW!

13. David Cantrell
    FAIL

Pointless title, which must contain letters and/or digits.

Surely the first thing to get rid of if you want a fast machine is the *animated wallpaper*.

1. JEDIDIAH
      Linux

Tweaking the basic install...

> Surely the first thing to get rid of if you want

> a fast machine is the *animated wallpaper*.

Pretty much.

When I got another ION to replace my nv9400 Mini that appears to be on

death's door, I had to turn off all of the desktop effects in Win7 before XBMC

would start with anything but a "blank screen of death". It was one of those

"bare" machines. So I was already using an OEM version of Win7 to begin

with.

14. Anonymous Coward
    WTF?

WTF

I don't get it, bloat has been a core component of windoze for as long as the marketing man has been accepting the cash... wtf is going on?

did the world just go all topsy turvy.. what day is it...

I'm confuuseed...

not enough WTF icons...

15. Anonymous Coward
    Happy

About time

Credit to MS (at least a bit) for doing something sensible for their customers. Only a bit, though : if they were to publish a full set of instructions, covering what they've done to slick the OS up, then I'd give them a bit more.

Oh, and "take the corporate cock from their mouth" (AC - 00:57) - very good.

16. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

US only

"Signature PCs, which are available only to people in the US..."

Well thank you Microsoft. The rest of the world has to just deal with crapware infested machines.

I'll just have to 'make do' with Ubuntu / OS X and pirated versions of Win7 until they can be bothered to step across the pond.

17. It wasnt me
    Thumb Down

Funny.....

The headline is "Microsoft sells PCs sans crapware." Yet further on in the article it mentions IE is still there. Which is it?

18. Andy Jones

Microsoft selling PCs

So, Microsoft are selling PCs now are they? That will please the OEMs.

The OEMs now need to start offering Linux across ALL their line and ignore Microsofts threats of upping their Windows price because now Microsoft are a competitor to them. If Microsoft threaten to up the price the OEMs can just regard it as anti-competitive and complain to the authorities!

Microsoft has just painted themselves into a corner!

1. Rebajas
      WTF?

Yes...

Heaven forbid you should follow any of the links to actually do your own research, as opposed to expecting all the detail to be spoon fed to you.

Okay, here comes the airplare zooooom...

MS are offering laptops from Acer, ASUS, Dell, HP, Lenovo, Samsung, Sony & Toshiba... happy now, or do you need your diaper changed from all that spoon feeding?

1. JEDIDIAH
        Linux

Journalism: Perhaps you've heard of it.

> Heaven forbid you should follow any of the

> links to actually do your own research, as

> opposed to expecting all the detail to be

> spoon fed to you.

Of course that's what we expect.

Journalism: Perhaps you've heard of it. This is exactly what it is for... what you call "spoon feeding".

1. Rebajas
          WTF?

Oh right...

Journalism, yes I heard of that. That is generally where a view-point is given and relevant facts are laid out in a concise and well written manner to back up that view.

If it's good journalism then sources are cited to enable readers to continue reading about various aspects that can't be included in detail in the original article; like listing what manufacturers are being sold from the Microsoft store in an article about Microsoft operating systems without crapware.

Now please, don't become a journalist.

19. Anonymous Coward
    FAIL

If only they had done it Right the first time...

Half of all pre installed bloat never gets used and is not wanted. I suspect this will still be the case with a narrow selection of apps... afterall people uses pcs for different purposes..

What MS should have done was just include a shortcut (only a shortcut!) to a webpage where the user can 'click to download' the packages they want.. amazing concept isn't it...

if only microsoft would have sorted out web search a long time ago then they might have found cnet.

1. Rebajas
      FAIL

What?

Because you think it's Microsoft putting all that freeware and trial software on your new computer?

1. Anonymous Coward
        Thumb Up

@Rebajas

In an article about microsoft releasing 'Signature' you question if it's microsofts choice?

Well done! that takes todays biscuit.

Put it this way if microsoft said NO it would not happen. If the oem recieves income from a third party that is sanctioned by microsoft then as far as i am concerned MS put it thier and are using the income from the third party to the OEM as an inducement for the OEM to put MS on the box...

1. Rebajas
          Thumb Down

Pardon...?

No, I am saying it isn't Microsoft's fault that your new Dell or HP has a ton of free or trialware on. I can't imagine Microsoft cares what HP, Dell etc do after they've agreed to ship PCs with Windows on.

As long as they *have* Windows on.

1. Anonymous Coward
            Anonymous Coward

Of course they care.. because it encourages windows...

It's part of the 'use microsoft' incentive, the OEM gets paid by the Crapware provider, so the OEM is likely to use MS over A.N. other.

Microsoft sanction and support the deals, and do not pay the OEM at all, cos that's just wrong. (see intel)

20. Anonymous Coward
    Gates Halo

Pah.....

Took MS to tell the world and his dog this!!!

msconfig, services.msc and decrapifier will deal with most of the bloatware installed.

Me? I use a fresh install. The default OS doesnt even get to boot up before its wiped with a fresh clean verified version of Windows....

21. Piro Silver badge
    Pint

Another thing...

I'm a fan of crap/bloatware since it reduces the cost of the PC.

Anyone with a brain cell to their name nukes the thing when they get it anyway.

22. Richard Wharram
    Gates Halo

I have no problem with crapware

If companies are willing to subsidise my hardware for stuff that I will never see due to decrapping or fresh Linux installs then I'm happy to let them.

1. Rebajas
      Go

Something I can agree on...

Something I can certainly agree on, though I doubt there'd be much difference?

All I know is it is like breathing fresh country air once usplash disappears and I log into a nice clean Ubuntu environment; ready for me to clunk up with proper productivity applications :)

23. h4rm0ny
    Gates Halo

Bah! Microsoft! Bah!

Wow! Did the entire Apple marketing department just login at once? MS release a more slimmed down install of Windows, tweaked to boot fast and lacking all the McAffee and other crap that vendors cram in for a few extra pennies, and we get a wall of bile and hatred.

Bias much?

24. Herbert Meyer
    Thumb Up

DIY

Do It Yerself: Get a new disk and an OEM retail copy of Win7, back up your data (if you can figure out where it lives). New disks are cheap, OEM Win7 cost about $110.

This option comes without useless MS tech support. You already know more than they do, guaranteed.

25. John Herz
    WTF?

Boot faster, at least a first

Does it come with no anti virus and hence faster boot times?

Not clear to me.

And of course, it will boot slower once you start expanding the registry with your own stuff.

26. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Microshaft still don't get it.

It is user experience that Apple have over them. That is something which goes waaaayyyy beyond simple boot times and is something which Microsoft have consistently failed to move forward on.

MS are too big and too dumb to change direction.

1. Anonymous Coward
      FAIL

re: Microshaft still don't get it

Downvoted for adolescent title.

1. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

Well...

...at least I had the guts to put my name by my feelings!

1. dssf

You... You...

You go girl!

2. Anonymous Coward
      FAIL

Microshaft?

I think you'll find Apple are waaaaaay in the lead where it comes to shafting their customers.

Enjoy paying for the next service pack, errrm completely brand new version of OSX

This topic is closed for new posts.

Other stories you might like