back to article Five ways Microsoft can rescue Windows Phone

Windows Phone might be the most impressive bit of software Microsoft has produced - but it isn't setting the world on fire. The iPhone and Android go from strength to strength - the latter proliferating so widely even Google doesn't know how many Android systems are out there. (It can't count the Chinese forks which don't use …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.

Page:

1. rpjs
          Coat

Perhaps

Instead of "tiles", they should have called then "panes"

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Except the idea that the Xbox is a 'success'.

Its losses run into the billions. It'd have bankrupted any company without a bottomless pit of cash.

1. OffBeatMammal

wow, the AC trolls are out

you obviously like living in the past. Xbox has been profitable for some years now - http://www.quora.com/Is-Xbox-profitable-for-Microsoft - like any major hardware/software launch it takes a while to recoup the R&D costs and deal with things like the RROD recall but they stuck with it and continue to enhance and add things like Kinect.

1. Jim in Hayward

Not actually. They still have not recovered the 5+ billion investment in the product. XBox survives because Microsoft is an unethical monopoly and is able to keep the cash pumping long enough for it to at least break even. Some success!

2. Jim in Hayward

But I will give you Kinect. That has saved the XBox from total failure.

3. Anonymous Coward
          Anonymous Coward

No it isn't.

Get your facts right. Xbox *360* is profitable. Xbox as a whole is swimming in bottomless, unrecoverable debt.

And Quora is no more reliable a source than Wikipedia.

1. EddieD

You missed one

Get them into stock in the shops.

In large quantities.

Every time I go into 02, CarphoneWarehouse, Phones4U is see racks of seemingly identical iPhones, Samsungs, HTCs, a few odds and sods of LG SE etc, but no Lumia Phones.

"No demand mate" was the comment in the 02 shop on Princes Street.

2. tapanit
    Linux

Doctorow and PS

Hey - I read Cory Doctorow's novels and occasionally even Postscript source, but Windows phones I won't touch with a ten-foot pole if I can help it!

1. Gordon 10
      Happy

I've read Cory Doctorow (Little Brother a modern classic and Makers meh) and owned WinMob phones.

I wouldnt touch Postscript source with yours.

1. David Hicks
        Devil

Little Brother a modern classic?

It read like he was having one off the wrist under the table while he was writing it, so excited did he seem about the possibility of an oppressive future, and a young protagonist all set up to resist it heroically. Entirely one dimensional IMHO.

I owned a Win phone in the days of the Orange SPV. I still have the scars.

2. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Yes , I've scanned Postscript too!!

I did buy a WinP7 hTc Mozart cos it was dirt cheap, and it's still working after 6 months - which is more than a cheap samsmug android I got at the same time.. my hTc is now at Win7 Mango 07.10.8107.79 whatever that means. Look, Win7 is an entirely average phone at around half the price of an iPhone 3GS - should you actually try looking widely enough, (I noticed that even Lumia 710s are down to £230 in Italy yesterday)

The line in Andrews piece about WinP7 'lacking removable storage card support' is actually a strength! I was an early Nexus One adopter and that particularly nice handset used to f**k with my microSDcards to such an extent - lost 1 x 16GB data & 2 x 4GB's to unrecoverable errors that needed a week on a linux box to try and recover (most) of the data, per event! Thanks Google!

I swore for my next update that soldered memory is preferable to a mem that might not be there when you need it! - so WinP7 won. Duuno what I'll get next time!

1. David Hicks
        WTF?

Erm

Surely the memory card is extra storage, and you have the basic amount either way? So a card reader/slot is always an extra benefit?

Removable storage does come in handy in various ways...

Sounds like that handset sucked though if it kept eating cards.

2. david bates

I've got an Nexus One as well...

Never had ANY trouble with either of the SD cards I've had in it (I upgraded to a bigger one), either using the stock ROM or one of Cyanogens.

What on earth were you doing to the poor thing?

3. Jim in Hayward

You are obviously going to the wrong telco. iPhone3GS is FREE with contract in the USA.

1. dogged

"FREE with contract "

oxymoron.

1. Heathroi
            Stop

better than not free.

4. David Barrett

"I swore for my next update that soldered memory is preferable to a mem that might not be there when you need it! - so WinP7 won. Duuno what I'll get next time!"

Hmm, then the Mozart must have been a tough choice given that its bundled memory is provided by an 8GB MicroSD card. Its a fu*ker to change (requires a void waranty and a torx) but at the end of the day its just a concealed SD card held in with a piece of tape.

I believe the mozart can handle upto 32GB but its a bit picky about what it wants shoved in it.

5. Tom 35

Logic?

The phone I had last had a wonky 7 key. Half the time it didn't work, the rest I got 4 or 5 of them.

So by your logic I should look for a phone without a 7.

While that would make sure I don't have any problems with 7s, I don't think that would be a better phone.

3. Speeder
    Meh

One thing about the UI

It seems to me that your missing the point about the UI.

I like it better than Android or iOS because the home screen gives you the most applications in a nice overview. That makes a lot of difference. Another thing is you can put more than eight on the home screen, you only have to scroll up or down without switching to a different screen.

But the other points are things to think about for them i think.

1. Paul Shirley

Help me out here: what is it about scrolling vertically to expose more links that's so much better than scrolling horizontally to expose more links?

Also: please explain the difference between a 'live tile' and a widget? Other than the name and that widgets don't have to look like 'tiles'?

Perhaps you could also solve my confusion over why using 1/8th of the screen to show my SMS/Email/Missed call count is better than showing it in the notification line beside the signal strength, volume and connection indicators - using no extra screen space?

In many ways WP7 is different simply to distinguish itself from the competition rather than any functional justification with an added dose of lawsuit avoidance. The WP7 UI is certainly different, distinctive, even memorable. But none of those terms are the same as being 'better'.

1. fiddley
        Thumb Up

The interface is blazingly efficient though - you can get to any app in four moves:

Starting at Homescreen

More -> 'A' -> 'First letter of app's name' -> Possible Swoosh (If it's not already displayed)

Thats ANY app. You can get to a max of 261 apps (I think) in 3 moves cos you won't need the swoosh. Nearly the same with contacts, but you sometimes need two swooshes...

iPhone in three moves is, I think, 68 possible apps - I stand ready to be corrected on that! Android is similar.

1. Paul Shirley

"The interface is blazingly efficient though - you can get to any app in four moves:"

The Android contacts chooser also does it that way, although its even quicker to just start typing the name and let search do the job without starting the contacts app!

Nice, *if* the task is finding any random app, especially compared to scrolling through 10 pages/156 apps in my Android app draw.

...but not optimal because that's not how people use devices. Right now my 9 most used functions have 1 click links, the next 22 are in folders 2 clicks away and searching through the whole app list is a rare event. I still have widgets and unused space on that single screen. If use changes I'll rearrange things to a more efficient mix.

Efficiency needs to be aimed at the right part of the UI to make a difference.

2. Speeder
        Black Helicopters

Well can't help you with the difference between a live tile and a widget.

But i hope you have noticed that the bar with the signal strength, connection indicators is hidden most of the time in WP7. So it would be logically then to show the number of messages, missed calls in "widget" in stead?

To distinguish itself is the whole idea behind competition isn't it? If everything looked the same there wouldn't be much to choose. Just be happy there is difference between the competition ;) Otherwise we would have nothing to argue about.

1. Vic

> Well can't help you with the difference between a live tile and a widget.

Please do. I can't see any significant differences...

Vic.

2. Manu T

@ Speeder

Funny, i used to say the same of Windows Mobile 6.x ;-)

I also used to say this about Symbian Anna vs Belle.

One example: On Anna you could get 6 email-account-widgets on 1 screens showing the first new email on each.

On Belle you can only have 2 email-widgets on a homescreen but these are huge and scrollable so that you can easily read your entire mailbox from the homescreen (which isn't bad either).

I guess evolution and changes happen always. Some things appear bad at the beginnen but later turn out not so bad at all. Perhaps Winpho is such a thing.

The problem is that as far brand-awareness is concerned. A Nokia phone running a Microsoft OS is impossible, unnatural or simply wrong. A HTC or Samsung phone sure. Those whores sleep with everyone and make/made handsets with every OS just to dumb their shit on the market without any regard for customers' satisfaction (particularly Samsung).

From Nokia, I expect something else and that is not a Lumia.

3. M Gale

The UI

Launcher 7 is an Android Market download away, if you want the tiled look. It'll even fit the wider widgets on 2x1 tiles for you and has an application list that is easier to navigate than the Android default due to having the very basic addition of alphabetical tabs. There's a free (ad supported?) and a "donate" version, which if I remember right off-hand I paid 62p for.

I have to say it lays dormant except for the occasional "I can make it look like a Windows Phone" brag though. Those "tiles" are basically massive icons, you can't fit much on a screen and the swishy graphical touches and web page preview tiles don't mitigate the fact that I find the stock-like ADW Launcher just easier to deal with.

Still, if tiles are your bag, Android has 'em.

4. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

A title is requi

The Metro interface is designed to l

good in screenshots but is not so g

you don't like swiping over to read t

that is truncated by the edge of the

screen

1. Peter 48
      Pint

I see what you did there - very clever :)

2. dogged

These always make me laugh

I have an HD7.

The only lines that ever get truncated are app (baked in as well as downloaded) titles and since you already selected the app, that's basically chrome anyway.

I mean sure, lolzers, you're a funny guy but you clearly never actually used it.

1. dogged

Six thumbs down for telling the truth?

Ouch.

5. CaptainHook

Not a huge puzzle IMHO

"This discrepancy puzzles people. Reviewers like WinPho a lot - it's clean, fast, functional and forward-looking."

The problem is the Microsoft bit of the branding.

People who buy smartphones; at least in the recent past, it's becoming far more mainstream; grew up watching MS use every dirty trick in the book to maintain a monopoly in Server, Desktop and Office Software and as a result charge them, or their businesses, ridiculous amounts of money for what was being provided.

Breaking file formats, crappy security, extortionate prices and just not 'playing fair' in with MS competition or it's customers. It always felt like an abusive relationship. We had to put up with it, because they were the only game in town.

As the mobile device becomes more important, MS has found it's not needed any more and is trying to buy its way in using a combination of a huge war chest and it's Windows branding, but they don't seem to understand that it's branding is at best not a selling point, and at worst a negative selling point.

Had I been responsible for selling Nokia handsets, I would have done everything I could to minimize the MS side of things. Certainly not had an OS related to Windows in name or style.

1. Dan 55 Silver badge

"Reviewers like WinPho a lot - it's clean, fast, functional and forward-looking."

And free. Don't forget free.

2. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

> Breaking file formats, crappy security, extortionate prices and just not 'playing fair' in with MS competition or it's customers.

...which is why everyone loves Apple phones instead?

Uh-huh.

1. Jim in Hayward

which is why everyone loves Apple phones instead?

Yep! 120,000,000 sales can't be wrong. Deal with it!

3. Magnus Ramage

@CaptainHook: I agree that the MS branding is problematic, but I'd put it differently. I don't think most non-techies care much about the abusive relationship thing (though it's true enough), but what I think is a real issue is that Microsoft = Corporate. Windows, Office and the rest are the stuff the suits sell. We all use it (well most of us), some of us even manage to cope with it, but few people get excited by it. They've turned into the company that sells dull corporate stuff. Now if Nokia wanted to sell Lumias to suits, PHBs, or grey people in large corporate IT departments, that would be fine. But if they're consumer-facing (which has been Nokia's main market in the past), it's a problem.

1. Goat Jam
        Holmes

Consumer Facing? Nokia?

Nokia have never been consumer facing.

Their customers have always been the telco providers.

Nokia designed their phones to tick the checkbox requirements of the telco's who then pushed the phones at hapless, captive consumers who for many years had a choice between functional but less than spectacular feature phones from Nokia or Sony Ericsson or clumsy Windows Mobile or CE based "smartphones" that were designed to please corporate IT people but not actual human beings.

Apple were the first manufacturer to put the end user in the driving seat and that was a game changing move that wrong footed every other phone maker, none of whom had ever considered that people were their customers at all.

1. Dan 55 Silver badge

Is that why the customer could choose any teleco they wanted...

... as long as it was the one Apple wanted them to have?

What was that about hapless and captive?

1. Goat Jam

Not everyone lives in the U.S. of A. Dan.

When the iphone launched in the rest of the world people had a choice of which carrier to go with and you could even buy them unlocked.

From Day 1

HTH

1. Dan 55 Silver badge
              FAIL

See icon

And also as I can't be bothered to type it out, see Wikipedia...

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/History_of_the_iPhone#European_release

Thank you.

6. Giles Jones Gold badge

Too late to market, too slow to catch up is my summary. If Microsoft had released the new OS around the time Android appeared it might have stood a chance. But it comes a bit too late, once people have paid for apps they don't really feel like throwing it all away to try another platform (and get locked into a lengthy contract in many cases).

1. Peter 48

disagree

in the tech market there is no such thing as too late if you have the right product, and the balls to back it. Sure apps to increase the risk of lock-in but there is no reason why you couldn't offer a system that allows for migration for example (at least from android). Give incentives to Devs to offer transferable licenses for example or promote discounts to transfer your app library. There are plenty of ways to lure people to the Redmond side (this btw applies to google and apple as well)

7. Simbu
    Mushroom

It should succeed

Even if you don't like WP7, you should be encouraging its success. The market needs the competition. iOS is still out of the price range of the majority of consumers. That means your choice will default to Android if you want a smartphone. Blackberry is going to die, and then Android (as good as it is) will own all of the smartphone market where users can't afford or don't want iOS.

It's not about if you like WP7 or not (and it IS a nice OS), it's about encouraging its success because a competitor to Android is good for everyone.

1. flying_walrus
      WTF?

Out of the price range?

The 3GS is free, ffs. Who's price range is that out of?

1. Anonymous Coward
        Thumb Down

I think that was meant was....

....most people don't want to surrender their soul.

1. Dana W
          Happy

Exactly.

You are right, I DON'T want to surrender my soul. That's why I buy nothing that has anything to do with Microsoft.

2. I ain't Spartacus Gold badge

The 3GS isn't free

The 3GS costs £300 SIM free from Apple. There are unlikely to be any discounts around. That's bloody expensive for a phone that's now 2 1/2 years old.

Similarly specc'ed Android handsets can be had for about £150-£200.

If you mean 'free on contract', then that means even more expensive. Neither the phone, or the bundled minutes in a contract are free. You have to pay monthly to get them, after all...

The phones have a very large mark-up, compared with getting a SIM free one, and a separate package.

I recently checked the pricing for a friend. He would be paying £800 for an iPhone4S on a 2 year contract, as opposed to £500 SIM free from Apple, and the same minutes from the same company.

3. Peter 48

contract dependant

The cheapest iphone 3GS contract where the phone is free is still £15 a month, for which you can get a dozen android phones that compare very favourably to the 3GS (Galaxy Ace, Desire S or xperia mini). On PAYG it still costs £300 and that is where android shoots ahead, as the galaxy Ace can be had for as little as £120. This is what people mean when they say cheaper.

1. Jim in Hayward

Silly Brits. Move to America! ~LOL~ JK. Don't know anything about your telco situation. Here is USA it does work out as cheap for a 3GS. Cheaper than any Android available (you can get several Andriod smartphones for around 40 bucks with contract).

1. Manu T

Free as in 55 bucks a month for 2 years?

That doesn't sound free at all. It sounds more like prisoner of AT&T for the next 2 years.

North Americans have a really strange sense of freedom. Perhaps you shouldn't use that word so much. At least some ppl in Europe realize that nothing is free. And that the 'freedom' we have is very restrictive with all the political hypocrisy, impenetrable jungle of rules & laws and economic slavery.

In fact if WE come protesting in the streets for whatever reason, the cops are also awaiting to beat the crap out of us. Just as everywhere else.

2. Chemist

"The market needs the competition."

Just like the desktop ?

Page:

This topic is closed for new posts.

Other stories you might like