back to article iPads seized from shelves by Chinese officials

Officials have begun confiscating iPad devices from stores in China after a court ruled in December that Apple was guilty of infringing the trademark of Chinese monitor biz Proview. According to Hebei Youth Daily, officials from the Administrations of Industry and Commerce (AIC) raided a reseller in Shijiazhuang, clearing it …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.

Page:

1. squilookle

The headline of the article gave me the image of a Chinese official sat with his feet on his desk playing Angry Birds on an iPad. And laughing.

That's actually a surprisingly specific image I have in my head...

2. Nigel R Silver badge

time to move production to...

a more friendly country like North Korea?

1. popper
      Big Brother

"time to move production to... → #

a more friendly country like North Korea?"

Nigel R, i take it thats tongue in cheek but you do know there are already industrial parks on the boarders of North Korea don't you ?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kaesong_Industrial_Region

OC the west wont let any high tech goods to be made/assembled there as they don't want the NC's to get the expertise or the manufacturing kit to make it easy.

and OC all the people here saying move assembly to "cheaper labour" country are forgetting that its by FAR the cheapest place right where it is, right now.... cha ching .

so far more initial and ongoing costs involved even if their could find somewhere else in the world that has anything like the massive infrastructural of china with masses of "cheaper labour" to buy up.

3. Jason Hindle

Apple needs to learn not to play nice in China

Of course, that would mean out-bribing their competitors there (which they certainly can do) but I believe this would infringe the Foreign Corrupt Practices Act which doesn't have an exception for doing business in China (and really only serves to make US companies less competitive in many environments).

4. Field Marshal Von Krakenfart
    Paris Hilton

At last, an i<product> (c)(TM) I am happy to use

The "iGloat" (c)(TM)

In other news crApple are suing Madagascar (c)(TM) requesting that all aye-aye's (c)(TM) (Daubentonia madagascariensis) are immediately removed from the jungle (c)(TM).

Paris, iCandy (c)(TM)

1. Ivan Headache

If I knew what all that was about I might even upvote it.

But I don't.

5. Flashy Red
    FAIL

Mmmm....

Possibly time for Apple to think about creating those jobs in another country?

6. howard bowen 1

May I be around the 341st poster to say....

Mwahahaha! How do you like them Apples beeeyatch!

yours faithfully,

Your bestest mates in South Korea.

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Who?

The South Koreans love the iPad:

http://thenextweb.com/asia/2012/02/12/apple-beating-samsung-on-its-home-turf-as-the-ipad-passes-1-million-sales-in-korea/

You mean just a few Samsung employees don't you?

7. Chris Sake

出售蘋果

Initially, all this will do is to increase the flow of iPads, purchased in Hong Kong, across the border, to be sold at a healthy premium. Capitalism at its finest.

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

And guess who'll be receiving the bribes to let them through...

8. b166er

The following is very childish

HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA

9. TheManCalledStan
    Meh

Hmm....

So based on the premises provided of China not recognising Taiwan as a self-determining sovereign nation which can't be invaded. The Falkland islands which Argentina has never recognised as being self-determining and under the sovereignty of the UK, can simply "not-invaded" by some relocating troops from the Argentine Mainland?

1. I ain't Spartacus Gold badge

Bit more complicated than that

When the Chinese government fled to Taiwan, after being booted out by the communists in 1947-48, they didn't accept that they were no longer the government of China. They were just suffering a temporary inconvenience, and would be back in charge of the whole country forthwith.

Meanwhile the Communists felt they now ruled the whole of China, and quietly ignored the fact that they didn't control this big island.

At the UN, Taiwan (as the Republic of China) was on the Security Council with veto, as one of the victorious powers of WWII. And the PRC didn't have representation, or recognition.

In the 70s that got reversed. Nixon went to China, they were brought into the international system, they got the seat in the UN, and the diplomatic recognition.

We now have the weird situation that the US is pledged to defend a country that I don't believe even they recognise diplomatically. Taiwan pays small countries to officially recognise it, rather than China, I'm not sure even they see themselves as a separate legal country. I'm no international lawyer, so I find this all a bit confuddling. But when a candidate for the Taiwanese Presidency announced that he'd consider a referendum on independence - China threatened invasion if he did. It caused lots of tension and sabre rattling. But what I take from that is that the current legal status is that they both claim to be the real China, it's just neither government quite controls the whole territory.

This is the kind of weird situation that makes it advisable to employ professional diplomats, lest your head explode, or you start a war by mistake...

10. Anonymous Coward
    Meh

What are the Mandarin characters.....

For "payback is a bitch!".

Maybe Apple really does have valid use of the brand "iPad" from their agreement with Proview Taiwan, but if this case is ultimately decided against them, I for one will not be overly sad to see the litigious get litigated in return.

11. scarshapedstar
    Pirate

Bow before the Emperor

I hate Apple as much as any other Android fanboi, but it's hard to view this as anything other than taking the gwailo down a peg just as a reminder that they're China and they can do whatever they want.

1. Chimp

Possibly...

... a little payback for the 'special treatment' Chinese companies get in the US.,

Franky, I don't see any real issues here. A valid trademark has apparently been used without permission. Bit like those rounded corners.

Not saying the PRC has a perfect legal system... Detention without trial, torture, abuse and murder happen from time to time. Reminds me of British jurisprudence, really.

12. Nameless Faceless Computer User
    WTF?

Trademark infringement? China? oh, against Apple? Sorry, cannot wrap brain around this concept.

1. popper

apple want to sell counterfeit iPAD into Chinese markets

"cannot wrap brain around this concept."

what's hard about it ?, it's simple... someone in china Owns the legal ipad trademark there , and they make and sell products under that ipad name.....

now apple US want to sell their "counterfeit iPAD brand" (because as of right now that is exactly what it is) in to the same massively growing Chinese markets opening up now after failing to do do proper buyer be ware diligence in a sellers market.

Page:

This topic is closed for new posts.

Other stories you might like