back to article Tim Cook's post-PC iPad domination dream crushed by reality

Despite Tim Cook's declaration that we live in a post-PC world as he presented the new iPad to the world, analysts at Gartner forecast that demand for PCs will accelerate in the next two years. Apple CEO Cook dreams of a world in which fondleslabs not only outsell PCs but render them irrelevant. These stats suggest otherwise …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.

Page:

1. Joe Harrison

I am global head of tech support for...

a large enterprise of friends, family, and people I met once at a party. Our bread-and-butter business of rolling back Windows PCs to their last restore point before malware installation is holding up well. So far however we are seeing zero levels of tickets raised on tablets thanks to our education program to "turn them off then on again." I for one welcome our new tablet overlords.

2. Santonia
    Facepalm

Gartner predictions

Well a quick lookback at previous Gartner PC shipment forecasts reveals a certain amount of success and some failure.

In 2009 they predicted sales of 336m for 2010. Actual sales: 352m

In 2010 they predicted sales of 409m for 2011. Actual sales 353m approx.

In 2012 they are predicting sales of 368m in 2012. Actual sales of course are unknown.

This doesn't seem to occupy any Microsoft conspiracy ground at all. Surely just a decent guess as to the future. They probably weren't able to predict an almost total halt in economic growth last year, what a bunch of losers eh.

The most irritating thing about the Apple crapola is the rubbish about how the iPad outsold any single PC manufacturer so therefore we're the biggest. Hmm, if only the PC industry was represented by just one manufacturer, then Apple would have a point. As it is, they don't. Good luck selling your iPads to cash-strapped developing world residents as a standalone machine.

3. TeeCee Gold badge
    Pint

So, to sum up.

Somebody said something that was obviously bollocks.

Somebody else said something else that was also obviously bollocks.

Everyone is now taking sides over which bollocks they prefer.

My view is that I have a smartphone, three laptops and a big desktop kicking around. Every time I look at a tablet, I can't find anything it does that a laptop wouldn't do as well or better and for less money. I then take into consideration that a latop will also do a lot of things that the tablet won't. Since I already have three laptops, I buy beer instead.

1. Tom 38

Re: So, to sum up.

My tablet has never made my lap uncomfortably warm.

4. Sarah Davis

jus' sayin'

my gcard takes more volume than a tablet, my pc has 50x more drive space, double the maximum memory of a tablet, 3x the cpu power (i reall need to upgrade old cpu) and 4 monitors. In order for a tablet to even begin to come close to the heels of the PC it would have double it's size and power and have sata3 and usb3, and run windows

Tim Cook is a pillock who has no clue about the real world

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: jus' sayin'

Oh, Sorry, I hadn't realised I needed that kind of rig to check me email and watch iPlayer.

But then, like Cook, I have no clue about the real world ;-)

5. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

it doesn't matter

allmost 400 million more morons on the internet. Just what we need!

6. Giles Jones Gold badge

Sorry but you have to split consumer from office to make sense of the numbers. Tablets are largely bought by consumers.

7. null 1

Just Like the 'Paperless Economy'

Does anybody remember the predictions that the world would transition to a paperless economy where pen and paper would be obsolete and we'd magically save the world from the horrors of deforestation? That hasn't really panned out yet, has it?

Does the tablet offer advantages over the desktop PC? Yes, namely, it is more portable. That's about it. Is it faster? No. Can you do more with it? No, quite the opposite. Is it customizable? No, not at all. Can it be tailored to the needs of the user? Nope! One-size-fits-all!

Will the tablet replace the desktop PC? Only if we want it to. It's this sort of needless prognostication that ends up making people look like fools down the road.

The large size and modularity of the desktop form factor make it a better choice for people who need the power or who have special requirements. I think the big thing the tablet has going for it right now is the complexity of the software required to take full advantage of a desktop PC. There are very few applications other than games that really tax desktop PC's. Of course, that wasn't the case only 5 years ago (remember the transition to Windows Vista?) and likely will not remain the case as software continues to progress.

I expect that the next major developments that will push power requirements enough to require a Desktop will be 3D user interfaces and alternative input devices.

Page:

This topic is closed for new posts.

Other stories you might like