back to article London fire brigade outsources 999 control centre to Capita

The London fire brigade is to outsource its 999 control centre to Capita. The deal will see Capita run the call centre on behalf of the brigade and also supply a new 999 control system. The 10-year agreement is expected to save the brigade £5m over its lifetime and is expected to go live later this year. Under the contract, …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.

Page:

1. Triggerfish

Caller: Help my house is on fire.

Somewhere in Lahore: Ok before we continue I'd like to tell you about the special offers our company is offering.......

Somewhere in Lahore: Ok have you tried turning it off and on again.

Caller: What?

Somewhere in Lahore: I'm sorry we cover more than one emergency/ support line, now what was the problem again.

Somewhere in Lahore: Welcome to the new emergancy services line, for efficiency we have automated our system to save time.

Press 1 For ambulance

Press 2 For fire

Press...

Somewhere in Lahore: Thankyou you have chosen fire.

Press 1 If it is your own fire

Press 2 if its someone elses fire

Press 1 if you think would like to enter the address via our automated system

Press 2 if you think the situation is urgent

Somewhere in Lahore:Please enter the address into our automated system, please speak clearly.....

2. Anonymous Coward
    Thumb Down

Hang on!

"...the contract will allow the service to focus on its core business of putting out fires and saving lives"

I thought the function of correctly dispatching the required equipment/bods to the right location in a timely fashion was fundamental to the aim of putting out fires? It is a part of the core business and consequently should not under any circumstances be contracted out.

It's a bloody joke.

3. TeeCee Gold badge
    Facepalm

To report a fire.....

.....call 999, or you can contact us via Twitter.

4. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

I overheard a Crapita manager explaining their recruitment policy.

"We prefer to employ people who have been out of work for years, desperate people are more likely to do anything you tell them."

So good luck London, you're going to need it.

5. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Consultancies

According to the London fire brigade, the contract will allow the service to focus on its core business of putting out fires and saving lives.

Every manager that believes that is a moron.

IT isn't something that gives you manufacturing scale or can be easily slotted in and out like the supplier of paperclips or company cars. Software development doesn't scale much beyond a dozen people.

It's like the arteries of a modern organisation. Get it wrong and little by little, you'll slow up the organisation.

That also means changing it as your organisation changes. And once you have a separate company, it all has to be done through a formal process because of the contract, and frequently, these guys will shaft you. But worst of all, they won't innovate beyond the contract in a way that saves the company money.

I was once working in a company and spotted that they were manually transcribing a load of data from one system to another. I suggested they gave me the file and I take a look. Within 3 days, we had an automated system lashed together and the staff doing the transcription were doing something more useful and less boring. You'll NEVER get that with consultancies. The "client contacts" are nothing but oily, dishonest salesmen and the staff are well hidden behind them.

It staggers me that despite just how much we do with IT in companies (almost nothing is done on paper now), blind ignorance of IT is acceptable, and the way people cover up for their ignorance is to hire in the consultants. My own experience with them is that other than a few that have specific domain knowledge, they are total shysters that I would not let onto any of my sites if I was in charge.

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: Consultancies

I'll see your a consultancy and raise you a bank!

I've been at a *bank* where they said they weren't in the IT business, they were in banking.

Which is rather like a logistics company saying that they are about fruit and veg location management, not lorries.

6. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Burghers, buy buckets!

see title

7. Anonymous Coward
    Devil

Privatized emergency dispatching?

How long until....

A) "If you would like to participate in a brief survey after your emergency, please press 2"

B) "Now that emergency services are on the way, would you like to talk about some of the exciting insurance offerings from our partners?"

C) "We at Capita would like to thank you for your time! We know that you have a choice of options for summoning an ambulance for your dying loved one, and we appreciate your business!"

D) (Obvious Indian accent) " Good evening! (its morning where you are) This Nigel from Bristol! Please to tell me what your crisis is and we send the fire truck right away! Before that, please tell me what County you are calling from and how far you from Buckingham Palace!?!"

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: Privatized emergency dispatching?

@D) Hello my name is Bob (with a worse stammer than Rowan Atkinson!) did you watch the Manchester United game earlier? Isn't David Beckham a fantastic fast bowler! (Note: DB had probably left MU at this point, although shows how much attention I pay to football!)

ROFLMFAO!

8. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Why are they writing a new system?

The software on the ICCS was rock solid. There was a competing system that also worked.

9. Intractable Potsherd
    Unhappy

This is a terrible idea

How could anyone think otherwise?

10. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Crapita

Some time ago Crapita, in their role as outsourced administrator of TV Licensing, decided they would like to persuade me to pay my TV licence by direct debit.

I was disappointed at how long it took me to persuade their call centre supervisor that 10 cold calls in 7 days was actually somewhat excessive.

11. Alan Brown Silver badge
    Devil

It could be worse....

They could have outsourced the call centres to Carlisle.

Page:

This topic is closed for new posts.

Other stories you might like