back to article Will Santa be working overtime to shift Win 8 kit? No. Yes! Maybe

Cash-strapped punters are unlikely to dig deep for a premium-priced Windows 8 PC this Christmas, says Gartner. The bean counter reckons sales into UK channels will be flattish in the fourth quarter compared to the same period a year ago when the market slumped by a fifth - the worst decline in half a decade. Clearly Gartner, …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.

Page:

1. RICHTO
      Mushroom

Re: Have you heard the rumours yet?

Well you can bet that it was a superior choice to a 'Gnome' based desktop or he wouldnt have accepted it. Father Christmas is after all in a good position to know.....

1. Destroy All Monsters Silver badge
        Meh

Re: Have you heard the rumours yet?

Richto stop going into those overdrives, you are not helping your employer.

1. Monty Burns

I don't get it.....

As this is a tech website, chances are you are some sort of techie which means you probably have your own copies of licensed O/S and are happy to install it.....

So why bitch and moan about something thats not YOUR problem? Don't like Windows 8? Don't use it! No one is forcing YOU to use it.

Home users are a diferent issue of course but then, doesn't everyone know an IT geek who can just change it for them?

And for the sake of the children! Stop identifying yourselves with the hardware/software you use.... really? Everone is diferent and some will like something, other won't. I don't like iOS but I don't go around saying its shit, quite the oposite infact, i'd recommend it for a lot of my less techie friends/relatives.

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: I don't get it.....

I do agree with your general thrust, the geekly tribes are ridiculous... however there is a real problem coming down the road for "consumer" end-users.

Monty, we can't just change it for them unless they have bought machines with the Windows 'Pro' edition (try finding those in PC World/Tesco/etc. or even explaining why it may be worthwhile spending extra for a downgradeable version). It's just not economical to spend another £100+ buying a second, downgradeable, license for a typical consumer machine (not sure whether Windows anytime upgrade licensing would be cheaper and still have downgrade rights....)

And since work environments are typically XP or W7, even for those who use computers at work they aren't going to be getting the training and support needed to get up that UI learning curve.

So for people like this the Apple proposition is definitely more appropriate than Windows. .As the Italians used to say, "at least Mussolini made the trains run on time". Much the same is true of Apple - they want to control everything, and are prone to stupid bombastic self-imprtant stuff (lawsuit idiocy), but for the point-n-drool end user *it just works*.

1. Monty Burns

Re: I don't get it.....

"It's just not economical to spend another £100+ buying a second, downgradeable, license for a typical consumer machine"

I was under the impression that Windows 8 gave you a downgradeable license?

2. Obvious Robert
    FAIL

Touch Win8

I had my first opportunity to have a go on a touch enabled Win8 machine over the weekend. Excuse my language, but it was fucking shite. Unlike Android which I find intuitive, iOS which I don't like so much but is still easy to use, Win 8 touch was a nightmare, I felt like I fought the OS rather than used it. By contrast I actually found the mouse/keyboard interaction easier, not that I could ever recommend it to anyone what with it still being totally unintuitive and a complete abomination of design.

Page:

This topic is closed for new posts.

Other stories you might like