back to article Windows boss Steve Sinofsky exits Microsoft

Steven Sinofsky, who since 2009 has served as president of Microsoft's Windows and Windows Live divisions, has left the company less than a month after launching what Steve Ballmer called the most important operating system in Redmond's history. "It is impossible to count the blessings I have received over my years at …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.

Page:

1. Ian Johnston Silver badge
    Thumb Down

He'll be clearing his desktop

If he can work out where to move the cursor to see the damn thing.

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: He'll be clearing his desktop

Why, doesn't it have a big button in front of him with the word desktop on it?

2. K
    Joke

LOL ...

So the crack I stashed in his drawer and the anonymous phone call really worked!

Now I just need to find a way into Balmers office with these syringes..

1. Ted Treen
      Coffee/keyboard

Re: LOL ...

You, Sir, are a wicked man.

Keep it up, please.

3. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

he must have watched too much BBC

recently, and drew his conclusions ;)

4. Fihart

One down, 8almer to go.

see above.

1. hplasm
      Happy

Re: 8almer

Nice one.

5. h4rm0ny

He may just be knackered after all the work on a big new release or have just been hanging on to see it out the door. Conspiracy theories without substance from people who hate the company don't really carry any weight. Though there will be plenty here who don't like this comment and think conjecture without evidence is worth more.

1. Bob Vistakin
      Pint

If he's responsible for Win8, he's damaged microsoft far more than any mere blogger could, so you get a thumbs up from me for making that crystal clear.

6. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

lolosoft

With every passing hour and every passing day lolosoft gets less and less relevant. Sure, it will take decades to undo all the profits they've made over the years and disappear but they are now a good decade into that slide. BYE!

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: lolosoft

lolosoft? That's shit.

1. JDX Gold badge

Re: lolosoft

It sets the tone for the rest of his comment nicely though,

7. Lallabalalla

Seems pretty straightforward to me....

Old-skool desktop-wallah Sinofsky replaced by "forward-thinking" TIFKAM creator..... I'm willing to lay money that Sinofsky is the reason there is still a "desktop" under TIFKAM, and that Larson-Green and he were at loggerheads over the whole interface design - but despite his seniority and experience Larson-Green had Ballmer's backing - and that he stayed long enough to see the barstard lovechild shipped and then thought "I'm too old for this shit" and walked. Good on him for sticking it out that far. Whether he's right and TIFKAM dies a death remains to be seen. Without 2 people pulling in different directions it may work out. - *may*.

1. pip25
      Unhappy

Re: Seems pretty straightforward to me....

As sad as the fact is, I have to agree.

It's easy to blame Sinofsky for TIFKAM, but if anyone read that leaked Powerpoint presentation around half a year ago about the Microsoft products of the immediate future, from that it's glaringly obvious how TIFKAM was promoted to be part of the global company strategy of unified interfaces (and Ballmer is to blame for that, if I had to guess). TIFKAM in Windows 8, at least in the form that it was ultimately included, was a decision Sinofsky likely had little influence in.

Thus, with his departure, I'm afraid things will only get worse at Microsoft.

2. Lallabalalla
      FAIL

Re: Seems pretty straightforward to me....

Seems I'm exactly wrong! - reverse the two names maybe?

As "Short Bob" said elsewhere.....

"So, it turns out this Sinofsky is pretty much responsible for everything I have disliked about Microsoft for the past 10 years including but not limited to the ribbon and Win 8 / Metro.

Fuck that guy."

8. Charles Calthrop

looks like balmer just tried win 8

9. Ramazan

Most probably Sinofsky just wanted/tried/schemed/whatever to replace Ballmer and failed.

10. ElsieEffsee
    IT Angle

I wonder if he

... took the subway formerly known as Metro when he left the building?

11. BristolBachelor Gold badge
    FAIL

Internationalisation

Apart from TIFKAM she was responsible for "internationalisation"?

Does that means she is the person I have to ask why we have to buy and support 8 different versions of windows 7? The SO has a Mac, and there is just the 1, then you go to settings and tell it which language/region settings you want.

Oh and don't get me started about some apps changing short-cut keys between regions and some not. Or Excel functions changing their names, except in VBa where you have to use a different name (the English one).

12. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Sinofsky leaving is a big opportunity for people to move to Linux on the desktop.

Page:

This topic is closed for new posts.

Other stories you might like