back to article Apple stops Caring in Italy, probably all Europe soon

Apple has reportedly stopped selling its extended warranty, AppleCare, in Italian stores following prompts from Europe's Justice minister that the company wasn't respecting EU-mandated guarantees. AppleCare will still be available though the company's web site, but won't be sold in stores - according to leaked e-mails sent to …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.

Page:

1. HP Cynic

A mate of mine with 2 faulty iPads in a row (broken connector port followed by broken WiFi) said "If you don't have AppleCare, Apple don't care".

He and his wife own many Apple products between them but this experience + the ridiculous schedule of tiny upgrades has driven them out of the walled garden.

2. Alastair MacDiarmid

there are some advantages to apple care if you travel

For example, those of us who buy laptops and travel with them around the world are guaranteed service in other places.

A laptop I used to have, bought it in the US, I live in the UK, it died in NZ.

New motherboard, no problem.

Having said that I've never bothered with it since.

1. Psyx
      Stop

Re: there are some advantages to apple care if you travel

"A laptop I used to have, bought it in the US, I live in the UK, it died in NZ."

Umm... any reputable manufacturer will do that for you, chap! It's not a unique service. You're basically saying that Apple cars are better than other cars because they have these special 'windscreen wiper' things that Apple sold you afterwards, for a bit extra.

1. Steve Todd
        Stop

Really? Try getting Nikon to fix a US purchased camera in the UK.

International coverage isn't something that the manufacturer has to do. Even in the EU the standard requirement is that you have to take the faulty device back to the company that you purchased it from. That was in another EU country? Not their problem.

1. Anonymous Coward
          Thumb Down

Really? Then try getting an Apple Verizon CDMA iPhone 5 replaced here in the UK. In the first year of your warranty without Apple care.

You Apple fans are all missing the point - Apple is expecting you to purchase an extended warranty for what the law says they should already cover without one.

Any perks that come with purchasing an extended warranty are fine. But denying basic warranty service without the extended warranty is NOT.

THAT is what they are doing wrong. Apple are not above the law, even if they leave you fans starry eyed like those One Direction teenagers.

2. Lallabalalla
          Trollface

Exactly.

I'm amazed at the number of complete dimwits on this site who think they are smart - and these are the people in charge of IT etc

Well, with the huge number of failed and immensely over-budget and under-spec IT projects in this country, I'm actually *not* so amazed, come to think of it :)

3. chris lively

So, the upsell on apple care is that you can call them if your phone stops being able to make calls? Guess that's why they call 'em geniuses. Because that is pure gold.

4. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Statutory warranty doesn't matter.

They'll just claim "water damage" in any case, whether that's true or not isn't relevant.

Page:

This topic is closed for new posts.

Other stories you might like