back to article Biz users, hard-up punters: Nobody loves Windows 8

Windows 8 was never expected to set the business world alight in the short term - maybe not even in the long term - and indeed it hasn't, official sales figures from distributors reveal. In the consumer PC space Microsoft and its hardware adversaries mates did a quick job of transitioning from Windows 7 kit, with roughly three …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.

Page:

1. LinkOfHyrule
      Joke

they colluded with intel

Intel CEO's phone rings in the middle of the night...

Riiiing "uurrrmm hello, who is this at this unsightly hour???"

"It's me, Ballmer! Listen dude, don't tell Apple or Lenovo or anyone, but we want to make Windows 8 faster than XP and we need your help! Are you in or out?"

Intel CEO: *pauses momentarily* "You betcha ass baby! woohoo fuck yeah!"

Ballmer: "Oh yes, we're the guys! Wintel fuck yeah for the win!!!"

That's exactly how it happened!

1. barfle
    Meh

Circumspect

Microsoft still owns the business desktop and the multitude of application interdependencies pretty much guarantee this for a long time to come. However the desktop investment is static if not slowly declining, and what should (probably does) terrify Microsoft is that in every area our customers' spend is growing - mobile, Cloud, virtualisation, search, advertising - we've not had anyone ask about Microsoft products in years.

IRO desktop, we've been here before with Vista and Millenium being two notable disasters. But if Windows 7 turned out rubbish we'd still be promoting XP, and if they were both rubbish we'd still (probably) be promoting Windows 98. Windows 8 is never going to fly and while we do not yet know what Windows 9 will bring, we do know that regardless of official policy Microsoft will support Windows 7 for as long as most of the business establishment is using it.

IRO mobile and search, I really feel sorry for Microsoft on this one. Finally after years of producing third rate trash in these markets they finally produce an excellent OS and decent search engine - and nobody seems to care. Surface has proved that producing their own kit is no guarantee of success. Just a crummy situation for them to be in I guess - huge investment is just barely keeping them in this game, but doesn't seem to be making it in any way profitable.

IRO Cloud, the only way they will ever get real traction with new businesses is if they make the base OS (minus the GUI) free and charge only for the GUI which is still the best available (IMHO). That's just the bitter reality - entrepreneurs starting out usually have (slightly) more time than cash, and therefore just simply won't consider paying for something they can get for free and without the added hassle of licensing management. Existing businesses that succeed in moving Windows business applications to cloud are also likely to find themselves moving to Linux for their new applications as well. A free Windows Server "Express" is probably only a matter of time, but the longer they wait the less relevant Windows will be in future.

2. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Ubuntu

A few years ago Ubuntu was good. It was promising. It was full of hope. People loved it. Versions 6 through 8.

Now look at it. Where did they go wrong? Now It's Vista, no wait, its Windows 8 (Windows 6.2). Who can name the most recent Ubuntu code names based on animals? It's sad how Ubuntu has gone, and why has it gone bad? I'll tell you: It's gone bad because of the stupid interface.

Yes you can install Mint and yes you can install Kubuntu. But that's not the point. Ubuntu is ubiquitous it was supposed to bring Linux into the mainstream. Not fork off when a critical mass didn't like it.

The moral of my story; swallow and buy that MacBook Pro. You won't regret it.

Page:

This topic is closed for new posts.

Other stories you might like