back to article Integrator 2e2 axes 319 UK staff, halts pay cheques - insiders

Troubled integrator 2e2 Group has let go 319 UK sales and admin staff and, to add insult to injury, their pay for last month is being withheld, sources claim. After weeks of negotiations by investors and bosses to keep the debt-laden business afloat, the decision was taken yesterday to call in administrators FTI Consulting for …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.

Page:

1. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Employment Law

I am sure that several employment laws were broken today. Whilst 2e2 say it is uncertain that remaining employees will get their January salary payment, all those made redundant today have been told they will get nothing from 2e2. NO January salary payment, NO redundancy for notice period, and expenses likely WILL NOT be paid. Those made redundant today also had no consultation period! This is nothing short of scandalous.

2. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Very sad for those on the floor.

I'd been a customer of 2e2 for a number of years and prior to that Kingswell, a good company and small enough to feel that you, the customer, was important. Then Kingswell and Trisys had the misfortune of being gobbled up by this greedy bunch. What is it with these companies - they are nothing more than acquistion shells hell bent of stripping them back to the bare bones and off-shoring wherever they can just to sell off the business at a vast profit once they've found a likely punter. I did read somewhere that the 2e2 were looking to sell for around $400m+ sometime not so long ago but wanted to hold out for more - well they had their a$$es well and truly smoked by this but unfortunately (again) it's the regular employees that are going to suffer once again through the greed and incompetence of the board and their so called "advisors". What a bunch of shysters - they should hang their heads in shame, trouble is they'll pop up again somewhere and stick their snouts in somebody elses trough. These guys can just walk away with nothing more than a slapped wrist - the greedy scum, but the employees stand to lose so much more. Then there's the fallout that will no doubt bring down smaller suppliers who may not be able to weather this. My thoughts are with all of those goods guys and gals at 2e2 and hope you can find a way out of this almighty mess - I'm so very sorry.

1. The Godfather
      Happy

Re: Very sad for those on the floor.

I remember Trisys...a lovely profitable business.. used to visit them regularly.

3. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

National Security Risk

So... Are all of the employees that are still based on Government sites considered a security risk? - How would they fare with pinching laptops and servers etc...?

Surely a disgruntled employee in a government position working in national security departments of inteligence is a security risk? Have they been taken off site yet?

Maybe they will start selling national secrets?

1. This post has been deleted by its author

2. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: National Security Risk

Well the majority of the boots on the ground that I encountered in 6 1/2 years with Prime and then 2e2 were too professional and not dumb enough to "start selling national secrets"

Unfortunately I witnessed first had the disregard the board of 2e2 have for staff. I watched them move a profitable, small, agile technical team that worked closely with the sales force to turn opportunity into revenue repeatedly, into a bigger, slower, more process-bound sister company. A company that was itself an acquisition at a time it'd been a failing business.

Then move said team out but cripple their actions with tactics such as sending their work to other teams and departments, and then question why they went from an average 120% utilisation to <20%.

Then watched as that team was slowly made redundant and/or left. Watched as contracts were lost because this sister company used a skills matrix - and only a skills matrix - to determine who was the best fit for a particular piece of work.

I left myself some years ago but I never wished the company ill and continued to remain in touch with many, many friends there - mostly all very talented and hard working and none of whom deserve to be treated in such a cavalier fashion. My heart genuinely goes out to them.

4. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

hiring a lot of staff until just recently....

2E2 have been on a hiring spree recently. They have "poached" a lot of staff from my employer and several of my workmates have gone to work for 2E2 in Reading. I was approached by them directly about a month ago. Interview was all set up, then I got a phone call from their recruitment guy telling me that all recruitment had been suspended. Now I know why.....

5. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

I find it very frustrating that we have such as system like this in this UK where directors of these failed companies do so well out of a failure whilst the normal employee who has a mortgage, family to feed etc is left with nothing. These so called Directors should be banned from running Companies anywhere in Europe for a set period of time and certainly should be under obligation to not receive any pay of any sort whilst others are not. Perhaps I am just dreaming. But if we pull out of Europe even more workers rights are likely to get thrown out as well I expect!

6. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Fantastic, just like the Soviet Union was like in 1992. Withholding pay, well they should watch out, "they pretend to pay" "we pretend to work". Quid pro quo. Respect works both ways, and workers in IT often know many others in their field.

Same applies to outsourcers who pay late always. Nothing to do with interest on the payroll money (not theirs) in their bank account then, oh nooo...... of course it forces the employees into debt, often at high interest rates.

7. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Question - If I do not get my January time sheet signed off can 2e2 still bill my client for the hours I worked?

If I'm not getting paid for my efforts in January why should they? Especially if any notice/ redundancy payments I eventually receive come from a tax payer funded scheme.

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Yes of course

In fact they have a duty to take in asmuch money as possible as administrators. They will get the money you worked for. The government scheme does try to recover money from the assets to pay for this, but yes they take the money and run!

2. Hank Rearden
      Big Brother

timesheets

If you don't get it signed they can't charge for it, but the administrator will probably get one of the people left in 2e2 to convince the client to sign it. Best to lose it completely as if you werent there for Jan at all.

8. bill 36
    Thumb Down

This is all you need to know

about the leadership of this company when they use a phrase like this.

"series of briefings" took place this morning in which the strategy "going forward"..............

9. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Some hope

My experience is that if the administrators are any good they will be able to flog the business for an amount based on a discounted value of customer service agreements in place, in 2e2s case this should be a substantial amount. So some of the staff will need to be retained; most likely these will be in technical delivery and related administration.

My advice 'don;t be passive' you're debtors you have a rights including the right to be consulted; GET YOUR VOICE HEARD, militate and make sure you're listened to. If they want you to work on get agreement to be paid by the administrator - if they won;t stop working call in sick. Believe it or not administrators NEED you.

A glimmer of hope of some compensation is that staff rank high in the payouts Some will be pleased to hear the Directors will be pretty much last (see link below). This is of course cold comfort and nothing can compensate for the anguish and worry that staff and there families will be going through.

http://www.inbrief.co.uk/business-finance/order-of-priority-for-creditors.htm

Good luck and don;t go quietly

10. Hank Rearden
    Big Brother

2e2 won't last

2e2 can't keep trading for very long there's too much bad blood, also they got rid of a lot of the brains of the organisation yesterday.

11. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

One of the 320

There are a lot of unhappy people this morning, I’m one of them and there are another 319 right behind me.

As further details have emerged it seems as though in some areas there has been a selection process going on for redundancy where people in the same role as those told to leave with no pay are being retained. Such selection processes are normally public and subject to consultation periods rather than being purely at management discretion.

I’d suggest this and the no pay and no redundancy payment approach is a gambit by 2e2 management and auditors to get staff off the books as quickly and as cheaply as possible in the hope the staff don’t understand or bother to enforce the fact they have certain employment rights.

Obviously most people came away from yesterdays meetings and conference calls in a state of shock, panic and anger and the first thing they did was update their CV and check out their finances – whilst everyone needs to move forward as quickly as possible we also need to recognise our rights and these are being abused by our (ex) employer.

Of course the board, the senior management team and administrators are all scrambling around trying desperately to find a buyer to rescue what is left of the company. The irony here is the board are sitting pretty on their cash piles and won’t be worrying about mortgage repayments or feeding the kids and the nepotistic senior management team will be paid off by the new suitor.

Any potential suitor must think long and hard about what they’d be buying – the remaining staff will be one step behind the 320 of us in preparing the CVs and customers will be busy invoking contract exit clauses.

In terms of my next suitor, or employer, I’ll be looking carefully to see if they have been too acquisitive just to continually restructure finances to hide debt. This coupled with the “eclectic” accounting practices enabled by Venture Capitalist and Private Equity ownership are the underlying tools that enabled the board to mismanage the company into its current sorry state.

I’d like to wish all of my ex-2e2 colleagues the best of luck for the future and take the opportunity to say it’s been a pleasure working with you all. When I joined I asked, “what does 2e2 stand for?” and was told “to escape to” – well lets take this as the opportunity to think we’ve “escaped from” a debt laden mismanaged business.

12. rocketlass1
    Mushroom

What a joke company!

Oh they knew this was coming. When notification was emailed to staff on the Monday evening, not half an hour later a further communication came from the HR Director telling individuals who were on the distribution list, attend at 10am for an 'update'. When we were all huddled in the corner of the office come 10am, with no privacy from the rest of the 'staff', the one token Director who attended didn't have the guts to talk and it was the Administrator dishing out the dirty words of non payment. Telling us to refer to the 'packs' by his side for any Q&A's regarding claiming wages through the Insolvency Service! Couldn't even be straight and say whether the people staying were going to be paid come Thursday. Kept bleating on that Terry Burt had got agreements in place with the banks but they pulled the rug on the Sunday! One ex-colleague, got made redundant the previous week, rehired the following and then made redundant again like the rest of us on the Tuesday! They even had a 'new starter' on the Monday! Within an hour our systems were disabled and laptops 'locked' so we couldn't even get any photos or personal correspondence off our laptops.

13. Family Guy
    Thumb Down

Is this what it's all come down to!!!

Unfortunately the human aspect and respect for people has been lost, people are just seen as a commodity or resource in todays world.

Not a nice outlook for the future.

1. Hank Rearden
      Big Brother

Re: Is this what it's all come down to!!!

It always was this way. Disposable commodity.

These behavours have guaranteed the total end of 2e2. 320 + people with bad blood about the name is one hell of a force to be reckoned with and bad blood doesnt just go away. 2e2 is now a poisoned challace, what fool would buy this cursed company or its wretched brand.

14. This post has been deleted by its author

Page:

This topic is closed for new posts.

Other stories you might like