back to article Surface left on shelves as world+dog slurps up small slates

Half a million Microsoft Surface tablets may be gathering dust on shop shelves, it has been claimed. Market watcher IHS iSuppli reckons Microsoft shipped 1.25 million Surface tablets into the resale channel during Q4 2012. However, only 55 to 60 per cent of those Windows RT-based devices were purchased by punters. That means …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.

Page:

1. IGnatius T Foobar
    Linux

ARM+Android is the new Intel+Windows

The wonderful thing about Android is that it runs on many different manufacturers' hardware. It is the mobile operating system of choice. As a proud owner of an Asus Transformer I can tell you straight away that conventional laptops are going the way of the dodo.

ARM+Android is the new Intel+Windows. Long live the new leaders!

2. RISC OS

They charge too much...

...MS doesn't have the quality perception that makes it worth paying so much for so little.

1. dssf

Re: They charge too much...

http://www.theverge.com/2012/11/5/3603120/samsung-ativ-smart-pc-att-november-9-799

http://m.samsung.com/us/computer/tablet-pcs/XE700T1A-A01US

I saw one of these in Korea months ago, and I just saw one in SF a few nights ago. On the recent one, I saw a developer programming stuff on one. I didn't ask her what exactly she was programming, but she had a pen or wand, and was doing stuff on two on-screen keypads.

That device is cheaper than RT, if RT is really around $1100. But, then, the Samsung device in the first link is $1,099.99. I have not compared specs.

If a tablet finally gets to 17" so I can continue doing my CAD stuff, I'd be happy -- as long as it comes with a keyboard, supports and won't brick due to installation of Linux, and supports VirtualBox. 7lbs of 15" laptop is becoming wearying.

I saw an RT or something like it from MS, at Best Buy, and despite it being from MS, I felt it was reasonably attractive, and I am someone who generally will deride MS in certain cases. So, if MS is facing this much non-traction, I wonder how much of it is just bad karma, and not simply going opposite of the market. I certainly am not one of those in the 7" tablet market.

1. Chezstar
        WTF?

"If a tablet finally gets to 17" so I can continue doing my CAD stuff, I'd be happy -- as long as it comes with a keyboard, supports and won't brick due to installation of Linux, and supports VirtualBox. 7lbs of 15" laptop is becoming wearying."

I don't get it, you want your new tablet to be....exactly like your old laptop?

If a tablet finally has a keyboard, and a 17" screen, and runs my apps, and linux, and virtualbox, and and and makes waffles, and wakes me up before it go goes, and, wait...It exists already, its a laptop. And if you want all those addons as part of a tablet, its going to weigh 7lbs. You are just calling it something different.

2. hitmouse

The Surface RT is more like $500. It's the Surface Pro that's over $1000.

3. codecorax
    Trollface

Can't wait to get one, it will look splendid on the shelf next to my HP TouchPad.

4. Levente Szileszky
    FAIL

Typical Ballmerian end result...

...due to their utter incompetence, paired with the bald, fat, angry chair-throwing beancounter's stupid arrogance.

" “Reaction to the company's Surface with Windows RT tablet was muted at best,” was how IDC’s Ryan Reith put it."

Hahaha, it's nice to see the R(e)T(arded) version tanking so badly that even the ever-friendly suckup-type so-called "analyst" is having issues to find the nicest euphemism to describe the newest Ballmerian fuckup.

"Redmond’s mistake: releasing a large-size tablet just as world+dog were realising they want smaller ones."

Not only that but it's 1. NEARLY USELESS 2. PRICED TWICE AS HIGH as its far more capable competitors cost... breathtaking MSFT stupidity.

Heck, if it were, say, $300 AND it would RUN 2012 RSAT I MIGHT get one for the company, solely to run monitoring/server tools, keeping it in a dock.

But it does not do it and it comes at a price a full ThinkPad can be had - a typical, very expensive blunder by Ballmer's MSFT.

Again, bubble-living, arrogant beancounters with no clue about neither the market nor technology like Ballmer will always bleed money until they get fired. The question raises itself: HOW LONG BALLMER CAN BLEED MONEY?

5. dssf

Comparison of Surface Pro vs Surface RT

I might have been confused in my just-previous post. This might interest some, though.

http://tablets.techcrunch.com/compare/132-133/Microsoft-Surface-8-Pro-vs-Microsoft-Surface-RT

6. mmeier

The problems with RT [as well as ios or Android]:

It does not run the programs and tools I use for my hobbies

Most have No active digitizer making using many forums time consuming

Different programming model, I can not run a quickly written Java Swing or .Net application

Software is less mature, just dropped a Note 10.1 for that reason

With the Atom based W8 tablets having more power and similar duration the ARM based tablets are less attractive, even more true for RT. And with Haswell coming in, giving core-i base tablets with 6+ hours runtime at 800-900 gram there are many who prefer a "wait and buy a Helix/Duo 11b or similar" in Q3 attitude

And rightly so in my opinion since a tablet pc is vastly more useful than a mere tablet

7. the J to the C

I really want one

Oh so much, it looks so cool, the problem is I have a ipad, playbook and and a kindle and apart from the kindle none of them really add value, the surface looks like it would but finding it hard to get my wife to agree to it

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: I really want one

I think the problem is everyone is waiting for the Surface Pro.

ARM may be lovely, but compatibility has always been king with Windows.

8. David Strum
    Trollface

"Hi I’m a Mac, and this is my sister Paddy"

Blame the guy – pretending to be CEO of a highly advanced – sophisticated – awesomely cool – technology corporation. The Bald-guy needs to take a back seat; he’s been an utter frump for MS, ever since Vista wrecked the reputation of MS. I don’t think Apple will run those “Im a Mac, Im a PC” adds anymore – it would be in poor taste – like kicking a dead dog.

Hhhhuuuurr – makes me shiver if those adds were to show up again; “Hi I’m a Mac, and this is my sister Paddy, she’s cool; Hi I’m a PC, this is my Grandma – and she cleans surfaces by licking with her tongue. She sucks.”

9. Jason Hindle

Yawn

If El Reg could give tight arsed me a teensy weensy little warning of the fire sale? That would be much appreciated. Oh, and thanks in advance.

J

10. Zot
    Happy

People hating 'that bald guy'

But he has always looked and sounded like a dodgy used car salesman, or that shouty guy from the double glazing advert.

Unfortunately, now they've forgotten what this message means...

http://m.youtube.com/#/watch?v=8To-6VIJZRE&desktop_uri=%2Fwatch%3Fv%3D8To-6VIJZRE&gl=GB

11. Great Bu

Getting a bit worried now....

There have been two good solid opportunities for a good anti-MS rant today and yet Eadon remains silent.

Has anyone seen him today ? Is it too soon to get search and rescue involved ?

12. Philippe
    Joke

Ballmer is a genius

The anti Ballmer rants are getting old.

Let us look at the evidences?

How many CEO do you know who cocked up products launch after products launch for a decade and are still in the job?

Exactly, he is unique

How many CEO do you know who can do Chimps impressions on stage?

again he is a star

How many CEO do you know who could take part in the Chair throwing world championship and win?

Again, yes you got it. Unique I am telling you

long live Ballmer

Page:

This topic is closed for new posts.

Other stories you might like