back to article Microsoft Surface Pro launch: It's easy to sell out of sod all stock

Microsoft’s Surface Pro went on sale on Saturday, but stockists almost immediately ran into shortages, provoking anger and frustration among potential fondlers. Redmond officially launched the 64GB and 128GB versions of its Intel tablet chunkster online and at selected retail outlets in the US and Canada at the weekend. But …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.

Page:

1. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Better not show this article to Paul Thurrott

He gets rather rabid about people saying its all bluff

http://winsupersite.com/windows-8/surface-pro-128-gb-immediately-sells-out

1. Levente Szileszky
      WTF?

Re: Better not show this article to Paul Thurrott

C'mon, that's Thurrott, he's totally full of it - he's one of the biggest, most pathetic paid shills of MSFT, his entire *business* relies on constant MSFT cheerleading

2. IGnatius T Foobar

Fatal defect with this device

There is a fatal defect with this device: it runs Windows.

3. Levente Szileszky
    Mushroom

"incompetence and total willingness to accept that failure as an option..."

...well, that really sounds like Ballmer et his ilks and their past 10+ years tenure in MSFT Hell...

"and then make it seem as though it was a great success for Microsoft."

Ohhh, it IS BALLMER, I recognize the mark of the BEAST, along with that monstrous, diabolic cross-breed between CFO and CMO called Tami Reller on his side (can you believe *any* number a Chief Financial Officer is telling you when it's also coming out of the mouth of a Chief Marketing Officer?)

4. This post has been deleted by its author

5. The_Regulator

Win 7 Vs Win 8 Launch

I always see comparisons between the launch of windows 7 and 8 but what never seems to be considered is the fact that when 7 launched there was a clamour for a new os due to how bad vista was perceived/received depending on viewpoint. With the launch of Win 8 there has not been that same sense of urgency because 7 is good for most people running a desk top environment.

Personally I enjoy 8 more than 7 but that's just this readers opinion.

1. Dave 126 Silver badge

Re: Win 7 Vs Win 8 Launch

Yeah, the 'under the bonnet' features of Win 8 seem nice enough, but not too exciting or must-have. Native USB 3 support? I don't have the hardware yet. Storage Spaces? Could be handy, but would want to wait sometime and see how other people get on with it first, and explore alternatives.

If there are other 'under the bonnet' improvements, MS have done a poor job of publicising them.

As regards the UI of Win8, I haven't tried it. If I really don't like it, I'm sure it can be bodged into submission using 3rd party add-ons. It doesn't seem anything to get upset about.

6. Cyberspice
    Mushroom

How fickle nerds are...

Once upon a time Microsoft were the lords of evil. Now, to me, they're just the incompetent minion hiding under the stairs. However I'm amused at just how many of the comments which are even vaguely critical of the company are being voted down. Do you lot have short memories or are you all just 12?

1. mmeier

Re: How fickle nerds are...

There are two types of critical comments:

a) Those that critizise problems/erros

b) Simple FUD-style bashing "because it is evil Microsoft"

Win8 and the Surface/Pro have problem areas and things that could be done better. I would prefer user-upgradable/changeable SSD, Memory and batterie. I would like the "configureable" text entry window for handwriting from Win7 back (combined with the better Win8 engine), I would prefer Recovery DVD vs. Recovery partition....

Typ a) is useful, type b) a waste of electrons and time (sorting through). I.e over on Amazon I am looking at a Samsung Ativ 500. Two "one star" comments. The Type b one tells me "this unit is <expletive> in a long winded way but not WHY. The Type a one tells me "connection with the dock is bad, Drive is slow..." giving me facts I can use in my decision to buy or not(1)

So downvoting typ b is ultimately useful

(1) Since I do not care for the dock and can live with the drive speed the unit is an option

7. David Strum
    Linux

Oh the fat tanker is going round and round

Round and round it goes, where the buck stops – nobody knows. It stops at Ballmer’s CEO door. The MS boys are just not inspired to steer the ship where it’s meant to go. It hasn’t hit an iceberg yet, still in deep Blue waters. When it does hit something hard – like a solid x86 non-Microsoft Operating System, then you’ll see the captain jump ship: I’m sure Ballmer will have an escape route contingency company somewhere to sneek to.

1. mmeier

Re: Oh the fat tanker is going round and round

On servers there is one. Solaris is stable, mature and offers thinks like long term [10+ years] stable API and ABI. But it is mostly a server OS and licenses are costly

On the client side only Mac OS is anywhere near and that is bound to overpriced hardware

8. agricola
    Holmes

"On Selling Out of an Empty Cart"

"Mr Jones, I see your lamb chops are $4.69 per pound. Mr. Wasser, down the street, has lamb chops for only $4.25 per pound."

"I suggest, my dear lady, that you go and buy lamb chops from Mr. Wasser."

"Oh, but he sold all he had before noon."

"Madam, let me tell you a butcher's dirty little secret: when I don't have lamb chops, I sell them for $3.99 per pound."

Page:

This topic is closed for new posts.

Other stories you might like