back to article Creative Suite cloud lurch crushes beret-wearers' cost-slash bid

Adobe's decision to murder boxed software and punt the Creative Suite exclusively into the cloud didn't catch channel partners unaware - but it may just unsettle their arty clients. So say folk in Adobe's UK partner base who are digesting the "bold" move confirmed earlier this week that will see the Creative Suite apps …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.

Page:

1. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Tax on the graphics industry, in our case at least.

We run a corel shop for all our vector artwork (99% of our artwork is vector), and there are plenty of alternatives for editing raster images (particularly if you're sent RGB artwork, in-which case we pretty much couldn't give a fuck about colour fidelity)

But you will get the odd punter who insists on sending you either Adobe illustrator or InDesign artwork, and for whatever reason isn't forthcoming with PDF's / EPS or anything else that could be considered an industry standard. We are basically going to have to shell out for a single seat licence for the sole purpose of accessing awkward punters artwork.

Buying boxed copies was never much fun, but at least you owned something that retained some value, and could be had reasonably cheap if one shopped around. Now we will be paying an adobe tax just for access to a select few of their file formats (the ones we don't like) while their other formats (PDF EPS PS etc) are already integrated into everything we use.

2. promytius
    FAIL

re serif as laternative

Please don't try it - it hijacked my home page, installed a toolbar and a "shopping service" and who knows what else. I wouldn't even advise going to the site.

Stick with CS3 - you can do anything you need to with it - heck I can go all the way back to PS 4.0 and still do 95% of PS's tasks, so cloud on, I'm set for life with CS3 - see ya Adobe, stay up in the clouds.

3. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

reap what you sow

If everyone screwed by this had put even a quarter what they spent on Photoshop into Gimp then they wouldn't be bent over the spank barrel now. Never support monopolies - you wouldn't be caught dead going into Starbucks, so why make the exception here?

4. DesktopGuy

Tough to be a reseller in Australia (I am not one)

In Australia, the adobe website - http://adobe.com.au sell the software 10% cheaper than resellers.

Reason is Adobe say their website is run out of Singapore (I think) meaning the don't have to charge GST.

That puts every reseller inside Australia at a disadvantage as they all need to charge GST.

All for cheaper prices - I do like to see a level playing field though...

5. Stretch
    FAIL

"It is the modern way of distributing software."

They confuse distribution with licensing.

Page:

This topic is closed for new posts.

Other stories you might like