back to article 'Do the right thing and tell on a pirate' - software bods

Anyone in the West Country yearning to dob in a work colleague for illegally downloading software should take heart that a Federation Against Software Theft (FAST) roadshow is coming to a town near you. An anti-piracy whistleblower campaign is kicking off in cider country next month, starting at an event in Bristol where FAST …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.

Page:

1. DJO Silver badge
    WTF?

Meanwhile in the real world.

"The commercial value of this equates to £1.5bn annually, claimed FAST chief executive Alex Hilton, and this is cash he reckoned is "taken out of investment, taken out of tax receipts and taken out of job creation"

Total crap, there may well be that much pirated software out there but the proportion of users who faced with the alternatives of:

1) Paying for the software, 2) Finding a free alternative, or 3) Going without

who would select option #1 is miniscule, if it exceeds 1% I'd be amazed.

If FAST are not fully aware of this they are living in cloud cuckoo land or are trying to fool legislators who are not as tech savvy as most users, either way it's far more dishonest than most "pirates".

2. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

What's in it for me?

So you want me to do your job for you. It's not in the public interest, as others have already pointed out, so you can't appeal to my altruistic or utilitarian principles. It's in the private interest of a tiny minority of people who mostly don't live in this country. And you're not even going to offer a tiny reward? Good luck with that plan.

3. Vladimir Plouzhnikov

One in four programs pirated?

Is he a) mad, b) a liar or c) misinformed?

Or does he consider any software which is free or which is not developed/sold by his members "pirated"?

1. Captain DaFt

Re: One in four programs pirated?

"Is he a) mad, b) a liar or c) misinformed?"

Yes. He is mad to lie like that, and misinformed if he thinks it'll do more than push potential customers away.

"Or does he consider any software which is free or which is not developed/sold by his members "pirated"?

Yes he does. Any money that exists and that they aren't getting is obviously 'stolen' from them.

4. Will Godfrey Silver badge
    Unhappy

What I don't understand is how they get away with this bullshit. Their 'audits' are nothing more than snooping. They have no legal authority whatsoever. If they turn up at the door people should just say "No, bugger off". Absent of a warrant, the police have no authority either.

5. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

What a load of existence justification by a leech.

Tax on a privately owned car is arguably legalized theft, and even fraud, given what the tax is actually spent on, so quite a poor basis for comparison

Use of an unlicensed copy of proprietary software is copyright infringement, a civil offense, not a criminal offense like theft of property, so FAST should be called FASCIst, it seems more appropriate!

No, staff who "blow the whistle" are greedy, annoyed, or just stupid people who are hoping that the pay off will be enough the cover the loss of earnings from later being sacked, or 'encouraged' to leave!

FAST are parasites who just want an excuse to attack businesses, whether guilty or not, to justify their existence.

Obviously any smart person will try to use as little proprietary software as possible to avoid this nonsense e.g. were possible I always prefer free libraries over paid for libraries for any software I write at work, because it is hassle to get stuff paid for, I can see the source code, and it removes the hassle a custom Maven dependency!

6. Furbian
    Go

Define 'pirate'...

Well I broke the DRM on some music I downloaded from a free service (now defunct) so I could put them on my iPhone. Apparently that's just as bad as shoplifting a DVD, according to those ads, as copyright infringement is 'theft'. In fact they should also include a chap at a photocopier having copied 11 pages of a 100 page book, as apparently you're allowed to copy 10% of a book in this manner.

Anyway with Prism etc. on the prowl, why they don't just ask GCHQ instead, I am sure they (or the CIA if the info isn't to hand) have plenty... no need to shop your family, neighbours and friends, Middle East dictatorship style.

1. Ted Treen
      Big Brother

Re: Define 'pirate'...

Ditto:- in fact I can't believe some of the risks I've taken by using Handbrake on my own legally-purchased DVDs, so I can put the resulting .mp4's on my iPhone/iPad.

Apparently, I am risking the rest of my life being spent as a galley slave, the slaying of my first-born, the rest of my family being seized and sold into the slave trade, all my livestock (pets) being slaughtered and my house being burnt down and bulldozed into rubble...

And that's just for the DVDs I DO own...

7. Ed_UK
    Thumb Up

Picked the Right Place for it!

At least in Brizl they already talk like poirates.

8. Robin Bradshaw

My first instinct

My first instinct upon reading this was it might be a laugh to turn up and start handing out Linux install and Libre office DVD's while espousing the virtues of open source software. That ought to get their backs up. :)

9. Dramoth
    Coat

Microsoft

There was a lot of conjecture back at the start of the 90's about the proliferation of Windows software out in the warez scene. Usually within hours of an announced release of Windows (Gold, RTM or RC or even just beta versions) there was a copy on a warez board somewhere. It was suggested that someone from Microsoft was releasing copies of Windows into the wilds of the warez boards so that more people would use it at home and share it with friends. Thereby getting everyone used to using Windows at home so that when MS moved into the corporate world, people would be wanting to use Windows there as well.

Mine is the one with all the dodgy disks in the pockets

10. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

@Dramoth, 11:58:

I once worked as a contractor for Microsoft and one of their very senior programme directors, and a 20+ year veteran (and also, not from the UK) said, directly to me, that for a long time MS tolerated piracy for those very reasons. That it, more than anything, helped to sell their PC in every home message.

Indeed, he went on to say how they (MS) used to accept it; they couldn't directly 'encourage' it, but I'm sure would have, had they been able to - that Dad (typically) would take a copy of Windows and/or Office home to put on their computer and expose the family (kids) to it.

And that that, was the best advert possible.

Mind you, he did then go on to say that given the genious of MS programmers, they could put a completely unbreakable activation mechanism into any version of OS/program at will, so he may well have been smoking dodgy kinds of tabacco.

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Genious?

Must proof-read better. Clearly I meant genius. D'oh.

11. sabba
    FAIL

One in four...

...how on Earth did they manage to come to this 'alarming' figure. Sounds like smoke and mirrors to me.

12. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Sooner or later...

...most pirates will be held accountable for their crimes. Jail and large fines are a good means to teach these crims a valuable lesson.

1. Will Godfrey Silver badge
      Unhappy

Re: Sooner or later...

sn... snif... sniff... SNIFF.

Poo! thought I could smell trollshit

Page:

This topic is closed for new posts.