back to article Microsoft lathers up Windows 8.0 Surface RT for quick price shave

Microsoft is once again slashing the price of its unwanted ARM-based Surface RT fondleslabs. The software giant has shaved 30 per cent off the price of a 32GB RT device now $349 and 25 per cent off the 64GB RT, now $449. A 32GB Surface with a black Touch cover has been cut by 25 per cent to $449 and a 64GB unit with same …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.

Page:

1. JDX Gold badge

I wonder if Surface would have had half a chance if they WEREN'T also selling Surface Pro... Surface sounds a credible alternative as a pure tablet but why would you get one when you could get a Pro that is far more versatile?

2. Wang N Staines

£300 too much.

You can get a portable web browsing machine for around £50.

3. Zola

$349 just so I can use Internet Explorer?

Nothing else on RT is useful, so that leaves using it just as a web browsing tool but even the browser is a total horror with most sites having support for Safari on iPad.

Thanks Microsoft, but seriously, no thanks.

1. Simon Barker
      FAIL

Re: $349 just so I can use Internet Explorer?

Don't be ridiculous, it's not a positive or negative of a device that you visit badly written websites.

1. Craigness
        Thumb Up

When everyone wrote for IE MS was the problem. Now they write for Safari and MS is the problem.

2. Zola
        Go

Don't be ridiculous, it's not a positive or negative of a device that you visit badly written websites.

Poor choice of words - substitute Safari for WebKit.

Rightly or wrongly, many large and popular web sites offer specific content and functionality aimed at WebKit users. Of course it's not right, but it's the reality of the mobile landscape right now where Apple and Google dominate and both of them employ WebKit.

As such, Mobile IE on WinRT is a major disadvantage. I won't lose any sleep over it though, all I will say is that karma is a bitch.

1. Simon Barker
          Stop

You're ignoring the lessons of recent history, many large websites did or still do focus on IE support does that mean that we should have said webkit support in Android or iOS tablets/phones made them bad products?

Support has drifted away from IE because ultimately we were poorly served by websites being tailored to specific clients (not to mention Microsoft's colossal mistake in thinking it had won) and we've ended up with better browsers across the board thanks to it.

I get that you have no love for Microsoft but you really shouldn't go backwards just because you dislike them or would you honestly be making the same argument if IE was still the most popular browser for those websites you were referring to?

4. dramill

Never mind the RT....

...they need to address the eye-watering cost of the Pro as well. I went to have a look at one with a view to a later-in-the-year purchase, £799 is just too rich for my blood - especially with the, to my thick-thumbed-hand, touch keyboard. Drop it by at least £200 and chuck in the physically better keyboard FoC, then you might start getting more interest. Sad about the RT not being better than it is. Best kill it off now and nudge Nokia into doing a WP8 Phablet instead methinks....

5. Mark Fenton

Can you even still buy Surface RT?

Just been the MS website to look at how much the RT actually is (end of year, tax write off, all that) - and if you click on the RT links, it takes you round and round and only ever shows you Surface Pro details!

Have they killed it?

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: Can you even still buy Surface RT?

Same here.

Are you on Chrome?

I'm using chrome and trying to check the price of the RT on the MS website it loops me back to the front page where they are punting the xbox one and the surface pro.

2. Pookietoo

"Buy a Surface RT now for only $349" http://www.microsoft.com/surface/en-US

I'm using Chromium on Ubuntu.

1. Pookietoo
        WTF?

I get downvoted for being able to find information on a website?

2. Mark Fenton

In the UK....

6. Michael H.F. Wilkinson Silver badge

I just got two nicely working Android tablets for less than that

One for the kids, one for the (alleged) grown-ups in the house ;-)

Both sport 1280x800 resolution, dual core processor with quad core graphics, so quite decent spec for (ultimately) fairly light use. OK, they have a "mere" 16GB storage (and micro-SD slot for expansion), but they run LOADS of useful apps, and I do not need MS-Office. Why should I go for WIN-RT (RT for runt of the pack?), if I can get two android tablets for less money?

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: I just got two nicely working Android tablets for less than that

That's an argument you could level at any £250+ tablet be it Android, Windows or iOS.

1. Michael H.F. Wilkinson Silver badge

Re: I just got two nicely working Android tablets for less than that

Yes, indeed.

7. Tom 7

Its going to need a brazillian

and then some wax to get it to the right price.

8. Fihart

MS going the way of HP and BB

Am I right in thinking the Surface is circling the drain like HP and Blackberry's efforts in this area ?

9. dan_in _ohio

$449?

I could buy a very nice Washburn WD30cse acoustic guitar for that & I bet it would give me a lot more enjoyment than Windows 8! ;^)

10. Happy Lemming

Kinda grows on you

I actually bought a Surface RT 32 GB through the educational discount, considering CDN $323 to be a reasonable price for a bundle with the Type cover. It's not a general-purpose computer, and does not pretend to be - I'd put it somewhere between my Kobo e-reader and a good netbook. I am still learning what it will and won't do. I like the display, the way it handles pdfs, and the few apps I've added (good for the Economist and CBC), and I will certainly use Word when traveling. I've streamed some HD video which looked good and did not stutter. Battery life is decent (6-8 hours) and the small charger is convenient; the whole kit is compact and lightweight. The Windows 8 interface is a matter of taste, as annoying on a Surface as it is on a desktop, but it does work although not intuitively.

Don't dismiss the Surface RT - it has its place. I quite like it.

1. A Butler

Re: Kinda grows on you

So did I, most critics here are just the usual blend of Linux morphed into Android fanbios with an profound hatred of anything Windows or Microsoft related.

With 8.1 on the way you are getting outlook 2013 and full offline folders on Skydrive, these are killer apps that will move the device well up in usage, note it already has a full size USB port, day long battery life, Micro SD expandable memory (up to 64GB), can attach directly to a projector via VGA, as well as HD video out, true multitasking (check some youtube reviews). Try doing any of that on an Ipad and some of those awful Android tablets. The touch type keyboard is just brilliant coupled with the kickstand.

I just see it as the most flexible exceptional quality tablet out their currently. The iPad is the more polished tablet for dicking around on the couch after a days work (I like the iPad) however for productive work the Surface RT wins hands down.

11. Dazed and Confused

How much!

32GB model $349

64GB model $449

They want $100 for 32GB of flash. What sort of planet are they on? Do they think they're Apple or something? 32GB has got to be worth $20, maybe $25, hell even if you had to buy the whole 64GB you're not in that ball park. A 120GB Samsung 840 SSD only clocks that much and they ain't going to be using anything that fast, there would be no point.

MS still doesn't get it do they, they ain't got a clue. How much more will they cut off the price next quarter? Wonder what their supply chain orders are looking like, or is this just an over optimistic fire sale.

1. A Butler

Re: How much!

Buy the 32GB then add in 64GB micro SD memory. You also get 7GB cloud storage with a Microsoft Account and can plug in any memory stick directly to the full size USB 2.0 port.

Loads of expansion possibilities....

12. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

And that is why closed-source is a bad idea

One does not simply recompile an application to a new target platform. One has to wait for the company/person that wrote the application and hope they will do it.

Linux has a rich ecosystem on apps on every platform it runs on because most applications can be compiled easily, with little or no modification.

1. Dazed and Confused

Re: And that is why closed-source is a bad idea

> One does not simply recompile an application to a new target platform.

Oh its worse than that. Without Linus Torvalds throwing non PC rants at developers you find people writing code that isn't portable. WindowsRT won't just be a case of taking the source and recompiling it. The developers will need to rewrite the stuff. Back when MS convinced the world that NT was going to be more than just an x86 thing, manufactures went off and redesigned their processors to make the NT port easier rather than just being able to easily recompile stuff.

13. Chika
    Trollface

There's only one reason why I might have bought this

And that's to rip W8 off it and put something else on it that was more at home on an ARM system.

However, that's why I have a RasPi. Cost less too.

14. Le Adder Noir

I quite like it

Long time lurker, first time poster.

Have to say I don't quite get all the hate for the Surface RT.

I bought mine after some considered research into what I wanted a tablet for - a lot of it probabaly comes down to mangement of expectations but, put simply, no other tablet ticked as many of the boxes as the Surface within the same price point. I think the issue is that people (a) were (probably justifiably) wary of a MS tablet and (b) just didn't look into what the tablet could do (not helped by MS itself, I will readily concede).

Essentially, I wanted something primarily for media consumption when travelling but (a) do not like media format restrictions, (b) hate iTunes with a passion and (c) was reluctant to buy what is essentially a toy at the price Apple et al. were offering - I wanted to be able to be productive with it if required.

So:

- it plays everything I have thrown at it, including FLAC, MKV and RAW.

- it has an HD screen (no, it won't hit the "retina" or Nexus 10 PPI, but it's a 10" tablet, not a 60" flatscreen so this does not bother me at all). 720p and 1080p movies and high-res. photos all look great on it - from the video perspective the aspect ratio is better (in my opnion).

- it has a USB port and expandable micro-SD memory. I can swap out and manage my media and, more importantly, can back up all my RAW photos on the go (suprisingly useful on a long holiday anywhere slightly removed from civilisation). Both of these are MASSIVE benefits.

- Office transforms the tablet and raises it head-and-shoulders above the competition. I have not yet tried the Outlook beta, but having Word, Excel and PPT on the go has proved amazingly useful for those odd occasions where I need to work when on hols. The whole licence issue has been massively exaggerated imho.

- there are sufficient apps for what I want (which, is admittedly, not a lot). I have yet been unable to find a good app for something I want to do.

- battery life is really quite impressive.

No, it doesn't run legacy apps, but, for a significant user base (essentially, those looking for a tablet rather than a computer), that's probably not important. It's also obvious from basic pre-purchase research (admittedly more so now that in its infancy).

There are, of course, some things I would improve if I had a say in it, such as processing power and speed. I suspect the Surface 2, if ever produced, will be a significant step-up.

For a casual user, though, I'd say the discounted bundle is a steal.

15. RichardF

Calling all shavers

A "shave" perfected in the Sweeny Todd school of personal care might what's really needed here.

16. TheTrouser

Three words

Ballmer.

Garage.

Sale.

Page:

This topic is closed for new posts.

Other stories you might like