back to article You thought slinging Photoshop into the cloud would fail? Look who's laughing NOW

Despite banking a smaller cash haul than it managed this time last year, Adobe's share price rallied last night - as it crashed through the one million cloud subscriber mark. The maker of the Creative Cloud added 331,000 more paying people to the internet-served software package, according to its paperwork for its third …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.

Page:

1. Jan Hargreaves

I've been delighted by finally being able to subscribe to Creative Cloud. You can say what you want about it, but for me it was a godsend. I don't have $5000 to buy Master Collection. But $50 a month to have it is perfect for me. It will take me 8 years to spend the same as buying the boxed set. I would imagine that by then, there will be significant new features and upgrades that I will continue to receive as part of my subscription.

If you are in a huge company with a large budget for software, I can perfectly understand why you would prefer to have a boxed version. But surely you also want to keep up with the new features of the software? I really think that it is a great deal.

People complaining about getting cut off - well pay the bill. If your card is expiring it might be an idea to update your details before going off to work on location... There is a 30 day window for you to let the software communicate to Adobe servers, and warnings show up around a week before your subscription will expire, with periodical reminders.

And to the person who said that there haven't been any significant changes for the past 4-5 versions; you are either a troll or just totally ignorant. I cannot begin to imagine how many work hours Content-Aware has saved me. It must be in the hundreds.

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

My mate did pay his bill. Adobe cocked up and cut him off with no warning when he was working remotely.

2. tempemeaty

I can't stand...

...astroturfing.

3. Diogenes

They are loosing the schools

From what I see on the Adobe Education Exchange there are many US school districts, Colleges and European school systems & universities that do not allow subscriptions. A school getting a Credit Card so they pay for the subscription is a very big no-no in our state. As yet the IT group has not indicated if they will switch to the CC.

I was at a IT educators meeting and we were all sharing ideas on how to go Adobe free and ideally free, especially as kids no longer have access to the state supplied laptops with CS6 master edition on them. And we are able to buy a Work at Home copy of CS6 for $85 (or about 3 months cloud membership for educators)

Personally I will be happy to stay on CS6 in my lab. It handles all the curriculum requirements for the "learn to's" and I will not have to update /revise my resources every 6 months because Adobe have changed how to do something( menu's moved, new features , even changing from grey to black backgrounds!) .

4. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

For the financially illiterate...

People look at the relatively low monthly cost compared to the high capital cost - especially with the year one half price sweetener for existing boxed copy users. That gamble may not pay off - when those users' monthly bill doubles some are going to look around for alternatives and competitiors have (will have had) a year to prepare for that eventuality...

Like the cell phone business. A lot of people go for the "free phone with a 3 year contract" schemes without doing the maths that means they're paying £1000 in installments for a £500 phone and hard to estimate call charges. Similar with Credit Cards, you can have the thing you want today but you'll be paying 15-40% interest.

As for Adobe - they may get increased sales of the boxed copies of CS6 (or individual apps) while stocks last, that's what I did, but longer term I'm looking for alternatives, some of the Xara software is looking promising , any experiences/opinions?

5. All names Taken

Xara sweet

Yes - I tried Xara a while ago - it is pretty suite/sweet.

Perhaps the Adobe money men have got it right, I mean what are the pirates going to do now?

(I'd guess that all of the phone home stuff in Adobe applications is really an attempt to authenticate what has been pirated and what has not?)

6. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Adobe giving CS2 away for free

I finally moved from XP to Win7 and needed to re-install CS2. I found Adobe had turned off authentication for their CS2 suite. Instead anyone can download them all for free from their website :

https://www.adobe.com/cfusion/entitlement/index.cfm?pid=4485850&e=cs2_downloads

Just get a free AdobeID and follow the link. Seems to work OK on 64-bit Win 7, and the CS2 suite is good enough for my purposes.

7. Stretch

Luckily

There are plenty of old cracked versions out there.

Page:

This topic is closed for new posts.

Other stories you might like