back to article Plusnet shunts blame for dodgy DNS traffic onto customers' routers

BT-owned telco Plusnet has blamed subscribers who use third-party routers for a rise in hostile DNS traffic that has been crashing its way through the ISP's system. The rebuff came after Sheffield-based Plusnet suffered a nasty outage last Tuesday relating to an unspecified "network error". A Reg reader claimed on Sunday, in …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.

Page:

1. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

www.opendns.com and Google DNS.

And should you have no DNS at all at a given moment (especially when setting a site up, or your neighbours router... YMMV), try to remember 8.8.8.8 and 4.4.4.4, which are Google's DNS, then you navigate to opendns.com to read their IP and put theirs as secondary. Google is 'not evil', but theirs is surely easier to remember than opendns... and you can sort things out once your side is up, and put any designated DNS, or your ISP DNS since it usually is lag-free, being very close to you.

Google DNS solves problems in a pinch, until you can retrieve more 'correct' settings. My ISP tends to have frequent DNS failures, for reasons unknown, so I memorized this little gem.

You're welcome.

2. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

This is the first time plusnet have pissed me off.

First I haven't been guilty of having any of the problems plusnet talk about with rogue DNS

Second, the plusnet router, like the Be router is a bag of f*cking shit, it is horrendous, 10 minutes to boot, no Gbe lan, restarts or hangs as much as three times a day, obscure featureless GUI, so those of us with some infrastructure to support will always go to Draytek/Cisco enterprise class devices, and to criticise customers, many of whom just want a reliable connection, and who chose carefully spending £150 or more is a joke, especially as in almost all cases the problems stop, immediately.

Third, Plusnet DO have a DNS problem, very occasionally DNS lookups will fail, and this is f*ck all to do with having a hacked router, I haven't seen it in a few months, but they did have a dodgy DNS, which exploded with crystal clear clarity a month or so ago, so stop bu**sh*tting, you'll get a lot more respect and a lot more customers, as the service is very good

3. Securitymoose

Plusnet continue to blame the customer

I fail to see how a router configured for dynamic DNS and IP and security protected (the passwords were not default and complex) can be responsible for the hijacking. Is it mere coincidence that Plusnet had put through a 'security' upgrade only a few days before? I would not like to think that this is another of those cover-ups so prevalent in modern services.

Either way, the reply (see below) I got from the supplier does not give me confidence and I will be certainly looking for an alternative in the near future.

From Plusnet customer support:

"Unfortunately we are unable to offer any sort of refund for this. The router is a third party router and as such we bear no responsibility for any vulnerabilities that result from using it.

If you wish to have one of our routers you can do so in one of the following ways:

Either paying for the router up front (£40) or agreeing to a new 12 month contract which would make the router free.

Either way there would be a £5.99 postage and packaging charge which would apply.

This is exactly the same as when you first took out the service.

I hope this resolves your query however you can respond to this message if you are still having issues."

1. Ian P

Re: Plusnet continue to blame the customer

(Some) TP-LINK routers can be hacked www.youtube.com/watch?v=wy4n8a3dy0Q

Page:

This topic is closed for new posts.

Other stories you might like