back to article Microsoft says ‘hasta la vista XP’ - well, kinda

Microsoft yesterday sent customers a letter reaffirming its plans to kill off Windows XP sales at the end of June and that system builders can continue to ship machines loaded with the OS until early 2009. That widely-known caveat has been viewed by many as a considerable insurance policy for the software giant, which has …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.

Page:

1. Joe M

@Sorry, it's not Linux either.

I'm basically a Windows developer and user and I don't carry a torch for Linux. However I have done a fair bit of Linux work over the years and ran a parallel setup for myself while I was at it.

I am quite familiar with Read Hat 6 as it was my main Linux platform for a long time. I installed it on lots and lots of different systems, from Cyric GX (now the Geode) based palm sized micro PCs to rack mounted multi CPU servers. I never had any problem installing it and, yes it did default to a low res VGA screen if it had a problem with the graphics card. (Tweaking graphics drivers was one of the things I did a lot of, and one of the reasons I felt that the OS was not ready for general use.)

It's interesting that a bank would knock back a Linux solution because I did lot's of work for banks and they usually insisted that their security and mission critical apps had to run on Unix/Linux platforms because Windows was too unreliable.

As for the Linux boot surviving a HD format... hmmm.

I don't blame you for being peed off by a system which wasted your time but from the description of your experience I suggest that you may have expected a bit too much of Linux. It isn't, and at that time it certainly wasn't, a simple GUI driven architecture. You have to tinker in the background and it takes time and effort to get it right. But there are many rewards in using it, especially for a software developer.

I look at it as a good tool to solve specific problems which it handles much better than Windows. Horses for courses!

2. Chika
    Coat

@ac

"its saddening to hear that they will base windows 7 off the vista code base - i was kind of hoping that windows 7 wouldnt be utter crap - oh well. does this mean that windows 7 will have all that drm crap in it as well?"

Probably. Although it is to be hoped that, if they base it on anything, then will base it on the Server 2008 codebase which, though related, seems to have gained a lot more public acceptance.

As for the guy that (rightly, IMHO) claimed Windows 2000 as the best thing they ever did, just look under the bonnet of any Muckysoft OS since then and you will find that it is firmly related to Windows 2000 anyway. And that, however much they would like to deny it, includes Vista! The Beast of Redmond wouldn't know how to write a completely new OS these days if their lives depended on it!

3. Chika
    Happy

@@Sorry, it's not Linux either.

"I don't blame you for being peed off by a system which wasted your time but from the description of your experience I suggest that you may have expected a bit too much of Linux. It isn't, and at that time it certainly wasn't, a simple GUI driven architecture. You have to tinker in the background and it takes time and effort to get it right. But there are many rewards in using it, especially for a software developer."

Agreed, but the guy was talking of RH6, which is a pretty ancient distro now. Seems a little odd trying to compare RH6 with the latest M$ offerings.

And yes, I'm using openSUSE 11 at this very moment. So there! ;)

4. Peter Johnstone

Is the MS bloat a myth?

My wife's laptop is a 5-6 year old ASUS which shipped with windows XP Home, which it runs, albeit a bit slow by todays standards.

I thought that I could get it to perform a bit faster if I installed linux on it. I couldn't find a linux distro that would install on it and run in a mode that could display a desktop.

It did make me wonder if the MS bloat is a myth.

5. Dave McKewan

@ "re "Sorry, it's not Linux either. "

Yep, I tried re-partition after tried the format. I tried the re-part several times, using various different boot discs (Win95, Win98 etc).

I even went so far to remove the partition, reboot, add back the partiton, reboot and re-format. The RH screen still came back.

That's when I reached for the last resort (other than a drill....) and broke out my trusty HDD util disc.

I was trying to use it about 6 years ago, and my point was that it was not better than a Windows install. Having installed various flavours of Windows, I expected the all mighty Linux to do the same thing. Odd expectation really.

And I got it when buying a book that touted the virtues (sic) of Linux. Strangely enough, I found no section in the book that discussed how to remove it.

We were looking at it from both a Windows and VMS standpoint. Still glad we ditched it.

The bank did end up using Linux for its servers, but not for this project. That ended up on an AIX box with WAS, JAVA etc etc.

6. Highlander

@chika

Not sure I'd say Win2K was the best thing they ever did. NT 3.51 (and NT4) was an amazing piece of software. It left behind the horrid world of old Windows 3.1/3.11 and moved into a more modern age. Not only that but it was a huge, huge, huge improvement on the first cut of the NT design with NT 3.1. It wasn't perfect by any means. However the performance of the OS (at the time, running on 80486 processors with at best local bus video) was pretty dismal. However since the processors we have noe are in the order of 200 times faster, with anything up to 200 times the amount of RAM, not to mention the advances in HDD interface speed and video hardware since the mid 90's - performance would not be an issue with Windows NT of any flavor.

It never ceases to amaze me how a PC that is (conservatively speaking) 100 times faster/bigger in every aspect of performance still takes minutes to boot up, and anything up to 30 seconds to open an application. This is true of every operation on the PC. Of course I am not much faster (though I type better/faster now). Microsoft has managed, in the revisions to Windows NT/2K/XP over the years, to nullify a 100+ fold increase in processor speed, memory size, video performance and hard disc capacity/performance. Truly an awesome feat. Not only that but they convinced 100s of millions of people to pay them to cripple the performance of the OS and the PC it runs on. I swear if you could some how harness that expertise for good, we'd be living in colonies on Mars by now.

7. Anonymous Coward
    Linux

posted before

This is what windows 7 needs to do....in no particular order of importance:

(1) built-in recovery and backup (CD, DVD, HDD)

(2) force apps to use their own files only - no registry entries by apps

apps install in their own program folder and may make shortcut on start- program list or desktop only

(3) no app install can require a reboot

(4) no windows updates should require a reboot

(5) all updates to windows create an automatic rollback file

(6) rock solid and secure (no BSODs)

(7) proper device interfaces that don't change with every release

driver updates should not require a reboot

(8) no drm

(9) no nagware or registration

(10) apps cannot automatically register for startup (except maybe AV & Firewall)

until then, i guess i stay with the known of xp...the only person i know who is happy with vista is running vista 64bit

i wish i had a penguin to do everything xp would...

8. Anonymous Coward
    Thumb Up

A little knowledge...

Unfortunately, the chap playing with RH6 probably knows little of how a system actually boots, whether it be DOS, Linux or anything else.

The "viral" problem experienced was because the master boot record was not reinitialised by format, and fdisk wouldn't do that either, ordinarily. On an IDE disk, a format [DOS 'format' command] isn't truly a strict format either, it's a zero-fill and would only fill the partitioned space, not the bootable region which is quite separate (logically if not physically). The solution would have been to use FDISK /MBR, an undocumented feature of MS's FDISK utility, and this will zero the master boot record and the MS installs (any Windows you care to name) that one might then run will see that the MBR is empty and install a boot record of it's own. RHL6 merely installed it's own boot-loader, not unreasonable really. No need for any "trusty utilities" if you know what you're doing. Even MS are sensitive to the possibility that you might have a multi-boot machine and don't presume to overwrite a non-zero MBR, it would be most inconvenient if they did. I'm not surprised that the RHL experiment was a flop, but with no prior exposure to the guts of Unix (et al), I'm not really surprised at the reaction or the results obtained. A determined repeat over some weeks with an up-to-date distro would be worthwhile, I think.

Otherwise, I believe in horses for courses, and I have to say that my particular requirements of a horse haven't changed much over the years. I was happy with Office '97's functionality, and XP has been reasonably stable. I was gifted a copy of Office 2000 which I upgraded to for file-format reasons more than anything else, but otherwise my basic NEEDS have changed little. I daresay that many other people are in a similar position.

Some time ago, I tried OpenSuse10.1, and I found that I could do everything I needed to do (although I'm not a gamer). Today, I use an 'ancient' Sony laptop with 512MB and a ~1GHz CPU with complete satisfaction, still OpenSuse10.1, and I have no compelling reason to change this setup. I quite like the idea of being able to still use the same laptop five years more since my actual needs will probably change little, and the likelihood is that things that need to be kept upto-date (like firefox) will still run well enough. So what if new hardware is cheap? It seems better to be able to re-use old hardware if you can do what you need to do with it, and Linux/KDE allows me to do just that, and it's one less piece of hi-tech junk to bugger things up for everyone else.

However, Linux distros aren't for rank amateurs, and you need a geek such as myself to sort out the sometimes knotty problems especially at install, but once it's up and running it's completely plain sailing, and you're a bit more of a geek yourself if you were paying attention. If you want to really learn something about computers, you cannot do this properly with Windows - play with some Unix/Linux etc distros, it will do you good and you will learn much, and there is a lot to learn too!

9. Bob. Hitchen

Vista Sucks

All this talk of anal fisting and petroleum jelly - WTF. Vista will never go on one of my boxes period. I run XP and Ubuntu oh and a media centre XP with the KM player for dvds and it uses HDMI. Linux lags behind windows for photo editing, video and games and some drivers. I use the tool that is available and most fits the task. All my current needs are accounted for - why would I want Vista or some future variant? MS withdrawing support is a joke right? What I never had is hardly likely to be missed!

No sensible business is going to spend money replacing hardware just to run the latest OS. Most companys want PC's to run applications the OS is irrelevant.

Oh and installing Linux is a cakewalk put the disk in and it works - it's a lot quicker than Windows any variety. Don't even have to load it just run it off the CD

10. studentrights
    Gates Horns

Intel passes on VISTA-ME

Intel will have no use for it...

Chip Giant Won’t Embrace Microsoft’s Windows Vista

http://bits.blogs.nytimes.com/2008/06/25/et-tu-intel/index.html

11. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Hmm, shouldn't be too hard to get a XP licence

I got four old machines (P4/1.9GHz, not very old) from a company, without disks of course, but OEM stickers intact on chassis.

So I've now two windows 2000 pro licences and two xp pro licences, for free.

Retail market for used licences is emerging, at least in Europe, and there are millions of XP licences floating around.

12. tempemeaty
    Pirate

Isn't supply and demand the cornerstone of capitalism?

When customers demand a product that already exists over another and that maker of that product refuses those customers then stops selling it at a time it's out selling the other choice there is something other than supply and demand taking place.

If their business is not about supplying the demand then what is it really about?

13. Anonymous Coward
    Thumb Down

@Hardware not capable - Peter

"Honestly, this is my biggest grievance is that people can't be bothered to figure out what they need to properly run something, then gripe about it once they buy something underpowered and find that it's nto running it in the manner they expected."

A couple of you guys have completely misinterpreted my earlier post - The point being that vendors are shipping Vista on hardware which is clearly not capable for the job. Surely its the vendors responsibility to have done the work of making sure they're installing a suitable OS on their products?

At the time I bought the 5150, there were almost NO other lower end laptops available for the education sector which still come with XP. Those that do tend to be the £700+ machines with core2-duo processors.

@Marc - Not as bad as Mac

You're using Safari and complaining? Loser. Install Firefox or preferably Opera, and you can happily run the latest Java. (I run both on my Mac Pro).

14. Aitor

Kernel

The windows vista Kernel is very very good. As a matter of fact, it is way better than the Linux Kernel (this is a fact most techies should recognize).

The problems come from services, drivers and, mostly, the GUI.

As for copying large files, etc, the problem isn't DRM: if you copy the same files from command line, there is no problem. It is the GUI witch gives problems: some parts are still single-threaded and blocking.... as long as these guys don't solve that problem windows will go slowly...

Drivers: Microsoft knows that a lot of stability problems come from dodgy drivers. That's why they have decided to change the drivers model and take a "hard line" against the manufacturers.. so they make drivers the way they should..

Services: way too many services are running in Vista. If your pc is from Acer, Toshiba, etc.. you will have more problems.. they are plagued by bloatware....

Is Vista a good OS? Yes.

Is Vista better than XP? Yes and No. Y you have more than 3 gigs of ram, the answer is yes.. if not, stick to XP, or explore Linux.... witch is not better, but refrains from loading sutch bloatware.. that's the main reason it goes so fast!!

Comparison: Vista is a Ferrari towing a huge boat "just in case you want to go to the coast". Very slow and demands lots of fuel.

Linux is a econobox not towing anything.

15. Mike Groombridge
    Gates Horns

Vista's just the new ME

i remember windows ME coming out and microsoft saying it's got win 2000 security with win 98 user interface. was meant to add security for home users the same as office users

except that the reason it screwed up nearly everything installed on it was it had 2000's code protection functions so you install some thing and it makes a change to a windows file 2000 would make a copy of the orginal file incase it needed it and let the software use the modified file protecting itself from issues ME had the same function but the modified windows file would be deleted so next time the software tried to run it died this prompted Microsoft to put together xp

vista to me seems to be built on the same flawed plan but this it it seems to have been saying thats cram server and desktop security( which always seem to fight each over) in one operating system then over lay a pretty GUI on top

which wouldn't be so bad if they had then gone we will push it really hard and phase out xp so when win 7 comes along and it's security works and has vista's pretty interface every one we run to it.

i'd bet good money that 7 is the real replacement to XP and vista was the rushed stop gap so show there are actually doing stuff

and as for the version numbers

windows 3.11

windows nt 4.0

windows 95 (4.3home edition )

windows 98 (4.8 home edition)

windows 2000 (5)

wins me (no idea as it was a mesh or 98 and 2000 so maybe 4.9 )

windows XP (5.1 effective the 95 or 98 of it's day only real benifit is it's little easier to use and security was on be default i still run it in classic mode so may as will be 2000)

vista i'll guess 6

windows 7

16. Mark

Re: Isn't supply and demand the cornerstone of capitalism?

Unfortunately, now we're consumers, the supply and demand has reversed: we supply money and they demand we give it to them.

More seriously, copyright is a monopoly grant. Is there any wonder that "the free market" isn't working here?

17. Biton Walstra

The Mickey Mouse history repeats it self every time

there is nothing new about this...

when moved from windows 95 to windows 98 the same story

when moved from windows 98 second edtion to windows me the same story

when moved from windows nt3.51 to windows nt4.0 the same story.

when moved from windows nt4.0 to windows 2000 the same story

when moved from windows 2000 to windows xp the same story.

so what's new here?

18. Bob. Hitchen

Re: Kernel

How can you justify an OS that takes about 10gig of disk space to do nothing useful? Does anybody actually buy/build a box to run an OS or do they want to do something with it? Vista gives no added value over XP or for that matter most stuff Linux. btw Rolls Royce stands for quality and longevity and no OS offers that.

19. Doug Glass
    Gates Horns

The Way We Were

The resistance to adopting Vista is no mystery. The move from Windows 98 to XP was eventually successful but that move was long, hard, and fraught with "new OS" mines. The buying public, and many corporations, don't want to go through that all over again. The move to Vista MAY in fact be a technological advance, but it's massive, overriding message is one of a step backwards in usability, adaptability, and affordability.

If Vista had been what it was originally promised to be, it likely would be the Windows OS of choice. But it's not, and given today's economy, the price of moving to Vista is simply to great for what's being offered. What benefits there may be do not justify the "cost" in many areas.

Regardless of where your individual sentiments are, the facts show Vista is not being adopted, and actually used, in numbers large enough to make it a product line success.

Page:

This topic is closed for new posts.