back to article Windows 7 versus Snow Leopard — The poison taste test

Apple's Snow Leopard arrived during the twilight zone between the completion of Microsoft's Windows 7 and its general release. The Snow Leopard media was built in early August and shrink-wrapped and on sale late the same month. Windows 7 went gold in late July, but will not appear on the high street until October 22nd. The …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.

Page:

1. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

@ Anonymous Coward Posted Thursday 3rd September 2009 07:51 GMT

"Try burning a data DVD on a vanilla OSX machine without installing a third party burning application. MacFAIL."

You haven't used a Mac much, have you? That's a simple matter of clicking "File > New Burn Folder" and filling said folder with the items you wish to burn and then clicking the "Burn" button. Disk Utility can burn images (including ISOs and DMGs to a disc).

Try mounting an ISO in Windows without third party software. Oh, that's right, WINFAIL.

"Which is the only OS you can install on ANY intel computer legally? Windows victory there."

Or... Linux.

2. mike lee
    Heart

re: Re: AC - 4 desktops

> girl on girl action

That is what VM boxes are for. No worries with browser history as the box can go bye bye in a second.

3. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

@ Anonymous Coward Posted Thursday 3rd September 2009 11:40 GMT

"By Anonymous Coward Posted Thursday 3rd September 2009 11:40 GMT"

That's actually not the default behaviour and can be configured in System Preferences: http://localhostr.com/files/e61653/Screen%20shot%202009-09-03%20at%2013.45.50.png

4. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Sum ups and downs

On the up SL seems to require less maintenance work and one can proceed within minutes of starting a machine.

On the down: printer drivers or more correctly: scanner drivers and softwares (especially HP all-in-ones)

On the up: SL is slick n quick

On the down: 3rd party stuff (SL probably requires you to move, delete, remove, unable or disable Flip4Mac WMV

On the level: its probably the same for both OS's?

5. The Commenter formally known as Matt
    Flame

A different perspective

>>Whichever OS you choose, you can only run them both 100% native, 100% reliable and 100% legally on a Mac.

>>Either way Apple wins hands down. Beige box crapware manufacturers be damned.

Silly Ty - There is a couple of things wrong with this;

1) Being able to run windows on both pc and apple hardware is a big advantage to MS (and presumably nix too) as this is what we call a 'barrier to entry'. If apple want to convert windows users (and they do) then they need to convince them that OSX is not only 10x better than windows to justify the pita of learning something new, but they have to convince them to shell out for new hardware. Whereas MS 'just' have to convince apple users that windows is 10x better than OSX but they can still use their hardware (and if you don't like it they can go back - if windows to OSX users dont like it, well then you have a shiny paperweight!)

2) Beige boxes!?! Are we back in the 90s? Next you'll be going on about 'only use windows if you like blue screens' (The only blue screens i've seen since XP were due to hardware failures - not sure I can blame XP for that!)

>>That would never have made it past the Mac design tyrants. Thats a Microsoftish fanboi comment isn't it? ;)

Funny I read that and thought it was an apple fanboi dig at MS quality control! Depends on your perspective I guess.

>> Microsoft's Open XML is best avoided in mixed environments.

Yeah that line made me laugh too! (Because I'm guessing its true)

>>Don't forget.

>>Whatever M$ funded FUD you may read in the tech press...

>>Every iteration of Mac OS X gets FASTER...

>>Every Iteration of Windows gets SLOWER...

Ty again! seeing a pattern:

1) Surely that should be 'windoze' not Windows

2) M$ - Is the dollar to signify they are a company - it shouldn't be surpising they want to make some cash! (Almost as greedy as apple?) Either way as soon as I see someone typing M$ I know I can safely assume you are a 14yr old boy with nothing sensible to say - and you didn't let me down!

3) Didn't you read all the reports saying this one is faster!?! Idiot

Don't get me wrong MS get plenty wrong, and suck at plenty of things (which I often critisise them for) but I can help respond where I read some of these f'ing stupid / plain wrong comments. Grr.

6. magnetik
    Stop

re: Loving all the Apple fanbois comments

Actually it's a doddle to burn a folder or files to a disk in Finder. Just right click on a folder and choose "burn to disk". Alternatively click File -> Burn to Disk, or add the burn button to the toolbar.

As already pointed out, you can also change OS X's default behaviour when you insert a blank disk in the "CDs and DVDs" control panel. You even have the choice for different behaviours for CDs and DVDs.

Yes it does "just work". I'm amazed your "long time Mac user" didn't know these basics! Next time try typing "burn dvd" into OS X's help ..

7. Ben Holmes
    Pint

@Mark76

I mgiht have to nostalgically crack out my Risc PC 700 later, and remind myself what a real OS looks like...

Risc OS 3.7 FTW :-)

8. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Nicely balanced

Seeing as we have approximately equal numbers of outraged MS/Apple fangirl commentards I guess the author of the article got it about right.

(With apologies to the non-outraged MS/Apple fangirl commentards amongst you)

9. Anonymous Coward
    Linux

@ magnetik

Yeah, you can do exactly the same on any Linux installation -- it also "just works". And I've noticed that you end up with fewer dead disks and faulty burns from Linux that I do from my Mac.

Fanbois, eh? Never cease to amaze.

10. Tim J
    Thumb Down

The cost is a really important factor...

...that often gets overlooked in discussions on The Reg, presumably in part because this is geek world and hence people are happy - indeed very willing - to shell out for tech kit. In the real world meanwhile, the price disparity between Windows boxes - produced by multiple competing manufacturers - and the rather more costly Macs is *very* significant. And open out that issue beyond the western world and one soon realises that Apple kit is really pretty pricey.

I'm not a fanboy of any sort, and I certainly rate the simplicity and ease-of-use of Apple Macs, but they are expensive.

11. jai
    Gates Horns

yay \o/ OS X ftw!!!!

in your face you wintards!!!!!

flameon!!!

:-)

12. David Webb

Windows

Lets see, the Libraries function is brilliant, you are not mounting one folder into it, you are mounting every folder you want. For instance, the music folder you can open that up and see 100 folders which link to 100 different folders on different hard drives, even on a network drive, removable drive, the internet (most likely), its not a case of mounting a hard drive and linking it to a folder, its a case of linking lots of folders into one location.

Hardware though, how easy is it to upgrade a Mac? I mean, we have the i7 out and the i5's on the way, so how many Mac users can pull out their motherboard and stick in a new one, with the fastest CPU and a ton of RAM to have the latest bleeding edge system? Whats that? None? If you take out the generic Intel motherboard from a Mac and stick in another generic Intel motherboard it won't work anymore? You mean you actually have to buy a new computer to upgrade rather than, you know, purchase upgrades? That's so 1990's.

Why would anyone buy a Mac to install Windows on though? The beauty of Windows is that it works on a practically infinite number of hardware variations, how many people who posted in this comments section has the same hardware as another poster, probably none, except of course the Mac owners, the Windows poster above me, different CPU (Intel instead of AMD) less ram (4GB instead of 6) different video (8600GT instead of 8800GTS) etc. etc. etc. PC's have variations, PC's that are slow now, can have bits removed and, look here, new bits put in to make it faster! Latest game comes out that needs a WTF? system? A PC you can just upgrade, a Mac, you can sit there and degrade.

At the end of the day though, PC's and over-priced-PC's... sorry Mac's, serve different purposes, Windows PC's are for people who want to get things done, Mac's are for people who want to think they can get things done as good as a Windows machine.

The best bit about this, every Mac user going "omg, SL is so fast now!" which really means "omg, Leopard is so frikken slow"

13. James Pickett
    Jobs Horns

@ups and downs

"one can proceed within minutes of starting a machine"

Gosh, as quick as that? Twenty years ago, I had a PC that was ready to use in around 15 seconds. Progress, eh?

14. deegee
    FAIL

@AC 7:51

"Try mounting an ISO in Windows without third party software. Oh, that's right, WINFAIL."

uh... you better check again... Microsoft has a Windows tool for mounting ISO. So you DON'T require anything "third-party". So I guess that's YOUFAIL. :-)

I'm always surprised at so much Mac fanboi false information posted here...

15. ThomH

@Mark76

From what I can see, both RISC OS and NextStep arrived with similar bundles and similar docks (amongst other similarities) in 1988, having both been through several years of semi-public development. If one ripped off the other, it doesn't seem to be clear which it was. And it's probably just coincidence.

16. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

And SL ...

Seeing SL do stuff so slick n quick and at the same time with very little cpu activity is good.

Now for W7 ...

17. magnetik

@David Webb

"its a case of linking lots of folders into one location"

Yeah it's a good feature. OS X could do the same if Apple just added a means of choosing a specific folder when you create a smart folder. I hope they add that to 10.7

"pull out their motherboard and stick in a new one, with the fastest CPU and a ton of RAM to have the latest bleeding edge system"

True enough, mobos can't be upgraded. Doesn't bother most Mac users though, since most people just want to get stuff done, not play around with system internals, just as most car owners won't ever bother changing their shocks or installing a freeflow exhaust.

"The best bit about this, every Mac user going "omg, SL is so fast now!" which really means "omg, Leopard is so frikken slow"

Somehow I doubt you'll apply the same logic to those that praise Windows 7's better boot and shutdown times.

18. Stevie

Hmm...

Interesting article.

I would really like to see some figures for real-world migrations between each major small-system OS family - Linux / Mac / Windows though. I wonder if anyone keeps such data and how reliable it is?

Comments about "people swapping" from whatever to whatever generally meet solid skepticism from me since I lived through twenty-five years of "Oh yeah, we're actively migrating off the mainframe" studies and "Cobol - dead in our enterprise" quiz results. We all know how that turned out. Not only that but I've got some personal experience in how the Mac/PC thing has played out in a couple of large arenas.

But it would be instructive to study how people change their computing habits over time on a large geographic scale.

19. This post has been deleted by its author

20. Anonymous Coward
    Thumb Down

@ Anonymous Coward 14:38

Yeah, because that officially UNSUPPORTED hack is really intuitive... In a Mac all you need to is double-click on the ISO.

May I draw your attention to Microsoft's readme? http://www.tech-recipes.com/rx/620/xp_small_free_way_to_use_and_mount_images_iso_files_without_burning_them/

Is there a way to mount ISOs in Vista or Vis7a?

21. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

David Webb

"The beauty of Windows is that it works on a practically infinite number of hardware variations"

Except when it doesn't, of course. Driver conflicts? I've heard of them.

As far as gaming goes, who cares? If you really must play games, buy a console.

22. David Webb
    Jobs Horns

@magnetik

"True enough, mobos can't be upgraded. Doesn't bother most Mac users though, since most people just want to get stuff done, not play around with system internals, just as most car owners won't ever bother changing their shocks or installing a freeflow exhaust."

Maybe, but for those that have a car and want to change their shocks or install a freeflow exhaust, the option is there for them to do it, they are not limited and prevented from purchasing 3rd party parts for their car to get better performance. If you want to take it to the highest degree, with a car you can rip out the engine, upgrade suspension, add nitros if you so desire, you can make the car perform a lot better, some car companies have a wing with just that in mind, taking the stock car (PC) and upgrading it to the Nth degree (Gaming PC).

With a Mac you don't get these options, you're stuck with what you are given and are thankful for it. With a PC you can have a cutting edge system *now* that through upgrades was a P1 133Mhz a few years ago, simply by swapping out parts here and there, a quick case upgrade, a new motherboard with CPU, using the same RAM, later on a new motherboard and CPU combo with DDR2 RAM, a few years later, a new CPU, later on, another motherboard and CPU keeping the same RAM and with the ultimate choice of controlling the price *you* want to pay for the upgrades.

Got a £300 budget, you can upgrade based on that, a £150, you can upgrade on that. I can upgrade my AMD X2 on the same motherboard to a AMD X3 as long as it uses the same pins, my upgrade potential has no limits at all, very few PC's have limited upgrade potential.

That in itself does cause an issue, with an almost infinite number of ways to upgrade a PC, you need an operating system which can cope with an almost infinite number of drivers for the hardware, and for driver support for an almost infinite number of hardware combinations? That'll be Windows.

23. Christopher Martin
    Linux

Sorry, I know you said fanboys go home, but...

The Mac gets praise for having WORKSPACES?

Why does Ubuntu not get to join the fray?

- "fast, elegant, and powerful"

- free

- runs on any hardware

- "benefits from countless applications"

- "performs well"

24. Volker Hett

Nether Outlook nor Word are part of Win7

So the Exchange compatibility is better in Snow Leopard, isn't it?

25. phoenix
    Megaphone

Meanwhile Unix turns 40 in the background

Windows and OSX are as bad and as good as each other sometimes they get it right and sometimes they get it wrong. The pople I feel most sorry for are they legions of users who can barely use an OS of any description.

Windows (the design from PARC) is 30 odd years old as is the mouse and in that time nobody has managed to improve on the clunky, counter-intutive, windowed desktop design. The Open Source community have to the power and abilty to really show the "Pretenders" to the throne how it should be done, only they seem hell bent on making a "BaskIn Robbins" job of getting there with more flavours of x-windows icing then I thought could be possible. Clive Sinclair where are you now!!

26. Jellyjazz

A thread full of geeks!

Excellent balanced article.

And guys,

I'm an average hobbyist user. Not a tweak geek or a 3rd party start up application user/idiot...

I want an Operating System to carry out everyday tasks, I DO NOT want to download 3rd party apps to help with these tasks unless they are important tools like Creative Suite, or Logic.

I want to open my laptop and begin instantly, no hassle, no tweaking, no startup apps.

Just work.

This is the reason I switched to OSX

I still have a PC with Windows 7 for playing games, I call it the big ugly Xbox, it really feels like Vista 2. Unfortunately vista buried every ounce of faith I had in Microsoft.

I used MS for 14 YEARS until Xmas past. I even uninstalled Vista for XP, then Win7.

I've been using Snow Leopard since yesterday, it's reinstalled faith, made subtle yet useful tweaks, it's 6gb less. It's fast as hell, it's almost flawless, It's all I need.

27. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Finder in OSX

Did they redesign finder in SL ? I heard something about a rewrite. It was by far the worse file manager on any OS i have ever seen. I was always perplexed how they could claim good gui design, and keep that monstrosity around.

28. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

@David Webb

Do you know what's worse than a smug Mac fanboi? An even smugger Windows fanboi...

The only people that care about upgrading motherboards etc. are geeks. In my experience, most average users take the machine down to PC World (10p in the swear box) or ask a geeky friend to do minor upgrades, for major stuff they buy a new computer; that includes OS upgrades. Most will not upgrade to Windows 7 not because it's bad or even too difficult, but because the majority don't understand the concept, and the only real point of reference that they have is either geeky colleagues at work or PC World (another 10p). Those that do upgrade will probably pay someone else to do it for them. Nothing against Windows PC's or self building or upgrading, but the majority just don't seem to care. We see the "Mac's are over-priced" jibe all the time and it is always followed by "I could build...". I've heard the same argument from boy-racers time and time again. A Nova still is and always will be a Nova...

Windows 7 is a fantastic improvement over XP, but it does seem to have some foibles in the RC, so like any sensible person I'll reserve judgement until I've got my hands on the final release, but SL *at the moment* wins for me. It just feels a little bit snappier.

29. Sean Timarco Baggaley

@James Pickett

15 seconds? Pah! My Atari ST would boot into GEM from its hard drive in less than 5!

And as for my ZX Spectrum... try a *one second* boot time!

(Kids these days... don't know they're born... whippersnappers... etc.)

@Everyone else: there is no "best" OS, any more than there's a "best" car. It depends on what you want to do with it. Deal with it and—to the fantards—get the hell over yourselves.

30. Kenny Millar
    Happy

For me, it's the contempt

I use windows 7 a lot, I have to for my job.

I've used Windows in all it's versions since Win386, through WfW, W95, XP and so on.

I have also used Mac OS X since Tiger (10.3).

What strikes me is the difference in attitude towards the end user from both Apple and MS.

I just get that feeling that the MS developers put code first, and user experience last, whereas with Apple, the user experience is EVERYTHING it's even written into (for example) the iPhone SDK agreement.

I was using windows 7 the other day and was trying to do something simple like copy a file off of my memory stick onto the desktop. The explorer window was just cluttered, poorly laid out and confusing - even for an experienced computer user like me.

The Apple finder isn't perfect - but it is leap years ahead of it's rival when it comes to user friendliness.

Anyway, each to their own.

Bye for now.

31. David Webb

@Simon Banyard

"Do you know what's worse than a smug Mac fanboi? An even smugger Windows fanboi..."

I prefer OpenSuSE myself, the only reason it's not on my laptop it because my videocard isn't supported at all, and the Linux drivers for it are quite rubbish. I can however install OSX onto my laptop and have done, its a testament to how bad OSX is that my laptop now has XP running on it, yep, I chose Windows XP over OSX and Vista.

Thing is though, this is The Register, the average reader is not going to be the average user, far from it, the average user of PC's here will have stripped down a PC many times, be it for work or fun, true if this was the Hello Kitty forums you may have a valid point there, but this is a tech site for, you know, geeks!

@AC "As far as gaming goes, who cares? If you really must play games, buy a console."

I own a PS3, PS2, Wii, PSP and a DS, I won't buy a 360 however, so my console needs are already met. I'll happily play console centric games on my consoles, if however I want to play a FPS, I'll use a PC, if I want to play a strategy game like DOW2 I'll use a PC if I want to play a myriad of games I'll play it on my PC, and if my PC is unable to run it because the CPU isn't up to spec, I'll get a new CPU, or a new video card, I won't be required to purchase a whole new computer.

32. J 3
    Linux

Nice...

But as (surprisingly few) others mentioned before:

"Here's another pro-Mac detail. Spaces."

Been there, done that, almost a decade ago or so...

(I don't know the details of the OS X implementation of this, but the basic functionality can't be much different from "workspaces", "virtual desktops", "whatever your DE/distro decided to call it")

33. Anonymous Coward
    Alert

slowly getting there

another few years and they'll have caught up with most of the contextual ideas

and facilities offered by AmigaOS a decade ago

34. Mark76

@ThomH

!Boot files first appeared on the BBC Micro.

As far as NexTStep and RISCOS's respective "docks" go, the implementation of each is so different as to dispel any notion of one copying the other. In some ways the early ROS icon bar resembles the Windows Taskbar (which didn't appear until 95) as running applications are represented by icons on one side of the panel, with drives and application directories on the other.

35. Anonymous Coward
    FAIL

MS

Shill

36. Anonymous Coward
    Thumb Down

@David Webb

And smug Linux fans are even worse than that...

Why do you think OS X performs badly on your non Apple laptop? Perhaps you should switch to Ubuntu, that seems to work on hardware that OpenSuSE struggles with - Arch seems to as well. Or, do as RMS suggests, and write you own if they are "quite rubbish". I get the whole "tech" website thing, fair point, so who are you trying to convince?

37. ElReg!comments!Pierre
    Coat

@ all the passionate commentards:

You all are lusers.

That is all.

38. This post has been deleted by its author

39. Anonymous Coward
    Stop

boring

This is like listening to kids arguing about ps3 v xbox360..

40. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

PC Swapping parts?

Reminds me of Arkwright on Open All Hours.

"G-G-Granville, th-there's nothing wrong with that broom! It's only had 6 new handles and 7 new heads!"

You bang on about Mac's being expensive, but how much have you spent on maintaining that gaming rig over the last 3 years? Get a console, save the planet!

XBOX ( £160) + HDTV cheap 40" one ( £500 ) + 6 games ( £200 ) + Dolby 5:1 cheap one (£250) = £1100.

Gaming rig: dual 24" screen, quad core, dolby 5:1, plus misc, coolers and disks ( £1200 ).

Each to their own, never the twain and all that old toss!

41. Alex 3
    Pint

Ubuntu

Nice to see Ubuntu users screaming for attention as usual....

Cakes anyone?

42. Colin Ritchie
    Paris Hilton

Unbaised and fair! Maybe you will go to the WWWDC

As an Apple Fanboy for 20 years anything I say will be biased......

Well done for making a direct comparison and giving both OS a fair report. I sincerely hope all your views are proven right and both platforms perform admirably. I'm upgrading to 10.6 soon and hope all the Vista sufferers get the OS they deserve to make up for it.

Why Paris? Cos sometimes getting a new stuffing does her a world of good too.

43. Anonymous Coward
    Jobs Horns

fanboys

I cannot believe apple fanboys claim it as a plus for Apple that you can run both systems legally only on Apple hardware!!?!?!?!

Windows is engineered to run on whatever hardware the user decides. Mac OSX is designed to run on whatever hardware Steve Jobs decides, which (hardly coincidentally) means his own. Kerrrrchiiiiing!!!!!!! And Apple will try to put you in prison if you dare attempt to use the software on another computer.

This is a plus point for Apple in what way!!??!?!

44. ElReg!comments!Pierre

@ cap'n (just to keep the controversy alive)

"Windows is engineered to run on whatever hardware the user decides. Mac OSX is designed to run on whatever hardware Steve Jobs decides, which (hardly coincidentally) means his own. Kerrrrchiiiiing!!!!!!!"

I guess this should read "WIndows in engineered to run (even poorly) on whatever hardware the OEM decides, with the forced sale and huge cashback to MS that this implies. Kerrrrchiiiiing!!!!!!!. Mac OSX is designed to run (mostly smoothly) on whatever hardware Steve Jobs decides, which means his own. Kerrrrchiiiiing!!!!!!!"

Task-wise, both OSes are designed to run on overspec'd hardware. Apple is more "open" about it (by selling you very expensive machines) while MS hides behind "This machine will run the latest Windows (although you might die of old age waiting for notepad to open)" stickers. That's just a difference in the marketting strategy, not in the quality of the OS. For those willing to invest a bit of time, Linux or BSDs are hugely more efficient (it doesn't even compare), though it must be said that, from a purely technical point of view, out-of-the box fancy Linux distros like Ubuntu or Mandriva are only marginally better than Windows or OSX if you're not willing to bother with what roars under the hood (openness and cost issues notwithstanding).

45. Wrenchy
    Linux

@Ty

So what if Microsoft prevented Windows from installing on a Mac? There would be no point of buying a Mac!

All the Mac guys out there know they need Windows so it is fortunate for you Mac owners that you can install Windows on a Mac *Legally*. Don't forget to send Redmond a letter of your appreciation.

I was really looking to cross over to the dark side with a purchase of a 13" Macbook Pro. But if I got it, I'm afraid my attitude may change and I'll become a smug, arrogant Mac owner like the ones I see on this board.

46. John Owens

I use both

Visual Studio is a much better IDE than XCode for C++ development. I use both for a cross platform game I'm working on and compiling and linking is much faster. The debugger is also light years ahead. That said XCode certainly isn't bad.

Outlook is far better than Apple Mail.

MS Office (PC) is far better than the Mac version.

Windows explorer is far better than Finder.

My Mac crashes probably more than than my Windows.

That said as I've been working on an iPhone game for a year now and I mostly run in Mac OS I also still "prefer" to work on the Mac. It seems less cluttered or something, go figure. Or maybe I just drunk the cool-aid by mistake.

47. Anonymous Coward
    FAIL

@wrenchy

That was the inverted snobbery that I was alluding too, which is just as bad and possibly worse as the smug mac users. Why were you considering the MBP 13"? Just so you could use that throw away line? Poor. All you have done is made an attempt at trolling someone and it's a poor attempt too! Well done.

48. Wrenchy
    Linux

@Simon Banyard

I apologize for my trolling. Whatever was I thinking???

I was considering a Macbook Pro 13" because hardware alone. If I could buy a similarly made notebook without an OS, you can be sure I would buy that instead. But I have no choice in the fact that it comes pre-installed with OSX. I did however consider trying the platform to see what all the fuss is all about and where the animosity towards Windows comes from. Somehow, I get the feeling that I will see improvements in some areas and faults in others. I will admit that I admire the attention to detail and build quality Apple puts into their products. Credit where credit is due. But as far as how Apple acts as a company, I think they are no better, if not worse than Microsoft.

In all honesty, I have no allegiances to either Redmond or Cupertino. I use Linux primarily and on occasion, Windows when I have to run windows only programs that don't work well in WINE. I use whatever works and if that means booting Lin, Win or OSX, so be it.

My comments are not an attempt to 'troll'. I speak my mind and if you construe this as trolling, you know where you can shove it.

Page:

This topic is closed for new posts.

Other stories you might like