back to article 'Not even Santa could save Microsoft's Windows 8'

Once upon a time any problem at Microsoft could be magically resolved with a new Windows release. Since Windows Vista, however, that formula hasn't worked. In fact, according to new sales data from NPD Group, it may be getting worse. In late 2012, departing Microsoft board member Reed Hastings called Microsoft's Surface tablet …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.

Page:

1. Anonymous Coward
          Anonymous Coward

Re: Office for Linux?

They have an agreement with Apple dating back to many years ago. And Macs cost more than the average cheaper Windows machine, while its OS can't run but on Apple hardware. It's not a real competitor in the desktop space, and it's not a competitor at all in the server one. Linux might have treated MS if enough decent desktop software had been available, and it's fully MS interest to ensure there's not an Office for Linux - and even iDevices as long as MS has to push its own ones in the mobile space. You may not like it, but from a MS perspective that's a wholly right decision. Should Canon offer its high lenses for Nikon or viceversa? Of course as a photographer you may like it, as a camera maker you know your bodies push your lenses sales and viceversa. Why lose sales? Some people writing here should try to run a company (and make money, not exhaust VC ones), one day...

2. Anonymous Coward
          Anonymous Coward

Yes, and why Asay don't ask Apple to let install OSX on non Apple hardware as well - legally? Or license iOS to other hardware companies? It would be exactly the same thing that asking MS to release Office for Linux.

All of you just hate MS and would like it to commit suicide killing its golden egg chicken. Ballmer is stupid but not that stupid, and anyway someone else at MS would stop it before doing such a bad move.

Moreover, believe me, mobiles and tablets are driving people to easy to use GUIs and easy to update devices - and that in the long term will kill Linux on the desktop faster than it can kill Windows... after using a tablet who wants to mess with a Linux system? Maybe MacOS, but not Linux... Linux should be thankful to Metro, but MS can correct mistakes...

1. Daniel B.
        Boffin

Re: Office for Linux? @LDS

"That's exactly why you'll never see an Office for Linux - you need Windows to run it."

I'm using Office right now ... on Mac OS X. They do release stuff outside their M$ ecosystem, they just haven't added Linux to the mix. And they actually should go on an Office for Linux; it could give them an escape route when Windows finally comes crashing down. I don't think it will happen soon though; it'll take a couple of years before Windows loses the OS wars. Hell, if Apple were to open up, they might even take over the Windows market entirely at this rate. The Mac version of Office still has menus (and the Ribbon) because the OS doesn't have menu-less apps, by the way.

1. Ian Johnston Silver badge
          Thumb Up

Re: Office for Linux? @LDS

Office up to Office 2010 runs on Linux using Crossover, which is, I gather, a tweaked derivative of Wine.

2. Alan Brown Silver badge

"That's exactly why you'll never see an Office for Linux - you need Windows to run it. "

Traditionally MS has never been too worried about OS sales as the real money is in apps. It's one of the reasons that they didn't bother going after piracy in a big way until the last few years ("If they're going to pirate stuff, they should be pirating our stuff" is a backdoor way of cornering the market used by many players over the years and is one of the reasons used for justifying the proprietary formats)

If OS sales tank, then they'll have to reconsider the platform-portability of Office (FWIW office for mac is pretty awful), but to be honest if they're serious about sorting things out then they'll need a fairly major purge at Redmond in order to remove 90% of the bloat that's preventing them doing anything rapidly.

1. Anonymous Coward
          Anonymous Coward

MS needs to control the whole stack - OS, middleware, and desktop applications. One boost the sales of the other. Windows on the desktop means also to boost the sales of Windows in the server room, which has fairly higher margins (server licenses and CALs....). The you have integration with Exchange, Sharepoint, etc. etc....

You should not see it just from the home user point of view, home users are just a way to make people used to MS software and wanting it in the office as well - because it's there real money are made. Letting people use the software they need on Linux will mean lose the desktop licenses, the server ones, the CAL, and the all the MS ecosystem - Exchange, SQL Server, Sharepoint, Visual Studio, etc. etc. which bring in a lot of money. And that's exactly what the Linux companies would like because it would boost the sales of the thei products, because most companies don't run unsupported or "community-supported" software, and thereby by licenses and support - why should MS help them to get more revenues and lose its own?

1. Osmosis Jones
      WTF?

Ribbons!? ffs..get over it man.

I despair at the number of people that want to remain stuck in the past when it comes to UI.

and the rest of the people hung up on lack of start button or garish windows, colours etc. the world has changed as much as we dislike it (yes i hate non physical keyboards and most touchscreens are crap compared to a half decent mouse), we need to enter this scary place at some point.

1. Steven Roper
        Facepalm

Re: I despair at the number of people that want to remain stuck in the past when it comes to UI.

I know, right? I mean, steering wheels and accelerator/brake pedals are just so 1890s aren't they?

Car manufacturers should get with the program and build cars that you steer by sliding your finger left and right, and accelerate and brake by sliding your finger up and down, on a touch-sensitive pad hidden conveniently out of sight under the dashboard. Then you can control the car with just ONE FINGER leaving your other hand and both legs free for more important things than driving!

So much more efficient and innovative than the ancient and antiquated steering wheel and pedal crap, no?

And don't even get me started on that goddamned stone-age circular design shit we're STILL using for wheels...

2. Obvious Robert
        Stop

"I despair at the number of people that want to remain stuck in the past when it comes to UI.

...we need to enter this scary place at some point."

But why? Surely we should be fighting back against having this crap foisted upon us and instead insist that we get something that's actually fun and intuitive to use. For example I've been with Android since the G1 came out (before it even had an on-screen keyboard!) and have watched it develop, improve and become more enjoyable to use with every iteration. The same should be true for PC operating systems as well, we shouldn't have to put up with rubbish primarily produced with a sinister ulterior motive, i.e. attempting to increase MS's share of mobile by placing a thoroughly unsuitable mobile OS on PC's.

3. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

Re: Office for Linux? @ Osmosis Jones

Ribbon Schmibbon!

It's the fact that the ribbon takes up 30% of the screen space.

That 30% of the screen space is wasted having "shit constantly stuck in your face" that people do not want, need, or care to see OR use.

Many people prefer menus.

And they were stupid arsehole enough to REMOVE your right to choose... the MENUS or the RIBBON.

That is why people hate it.

And they still fucking hate it.

1. Anonymous Coward
    Windows

Lack of vision and feeling the heat...

I think that best sums up the current situation. Microsoft has crown jewels in their possession (IMO that is) but seems to totally and completely lack the skills to promote and exploit these.

Not that surprising I think considering that in the past Microsoft never had to; whatever they said or did happened. But times have changed. And if there's one thing I learned from having to deal with enterprise environments; implementing a certain change can take major efforts. And then I'm not even talking about the change itself; but to suggest, promote, explain said change. In other words; getting people's attention.

But even if you can get people's attention then it still depends on the upper brass if new company courses will actually be seriously investigated. And when looking at the (relatively recent) past; why should they?

I also get the feeling that the company culture is involved with "follow the leader" no matter what. I completely agree with the author; Microsoft should have investigated and expanded their Office line for example. They already have their Office environment available on Apple (afaik) so why not take it from there and expand? Actually trying to open new markets. But that's not happening; instead they devise a new magic keyword, 'touch' in this case, and after that everything needs to follow up on that.

It goes right up to a point where solid products (once again, IMO that is) get heavily disabled where functionality is concerned. I tried previews of the upcoming Office version and quite frankly I'm no believer, even though I heavily favour their Office 2010 product line. The problem; the whole thing seems to evolve around touch; simpler GUI's, controls which are easier to 'touch'.

All fine and well; but what about "touchless" people?

Microsoft is reaching a point where they should think more about what their customers want instead of fully going for what they want and think to be best. Taking away all colour from their Visual Studio went relatively well in the end; but the way this is going I foresee a situation where people may actually dish VS entirely should they pull stunts like that again in the future.

MS is reaching a point where they can no longer afford to tick off people with dumb changes like that.

And this is happening on all fronts; from Office to development environments right to operating systems.

If they don't wise up then things can go worse for them, and such developments go much quicker than most people expect.

1. Anonymous Coward
      Devil

Re: Lack of vision and feeling the heat...

The law of unintended consequences.......

And MS is making plenty of BIG nasty irritating fuck ups....... and has been for decades.

Satan - She just LOVES Ballmer.

2. ElsieEffsee

Want to know how much I hate Windows 8?

I hate Windows 8 to the tune of just over £2,000 as that's what I've just dropped on a 27in iMac.

Now before anyone takes the Michael (as if you lot would?!) at spending much money on a PC, I've admired the iMac range for a long time, I've saved up the money and it'll probably be my last ever computer so I wanted it to be a good one and one that could be used (or at least worth something) after I don't need it.

Windows 8 annoys the he'll out of me and the final straw was when my wife needed a new laptop and decided to get a W8 one from HP. She was prepared to give it a try but when I tried to connect Microsoft's latest OS to my Windows Home Server 2011 guess what? It can't be backed up! W8 is installed using a EFI / GPT disk partition that WHS2011 cannot handle.

So yes, I maybe mad for spending so much of my own money on an iMac but its one of the things I wanted to do before I depart this earth!

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: Want to know how much I hate Windows 8?

So were you able to back up your iMac to your WHS2001?

Inquiring minds want to know!

1. ElsieEffsee
        Unhappy

Nope, I wish I could though and it would have been nice if that worked. AFAIK, backups coulde be done with older versions of OSX but it's no longer possible so it's Time Machine to an external USB 3.0 HDD for now. WHS2011 on a HP Microserver is great for the rest of the Windows machines in the house, backing them up and holding media for streaming around the house.

2. Daniel B.
      Boffin

You aren't the only one.

I didn't spend *that* much in my W8 h8, but I did buy a 13" MBP instead of a "regular" laptop because of Win8. It was getting stuck with that POS or doing the mighty jump to OSX. And given that a former boss managed to skip Windows entirely thanks to choosing OSX since day one (he mostly used Solaris, so he didn't even use windows at work) and the UNIXy aspects of OSX well... it was worth jumping back to Mac. (I stopped using it sometime around 1997. Previous to that, we were a Mac house.) Ironically, my jump to Windows/PC had been on dev grounds, MS being more "open" than Apple for development stuff. Currently, MS is a broken ecosystem where something you might learn will be deprecated in a couple of years.

Thankfully, my main dev platform these days is Java.

3. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

@ElsieEffsee - Re: Want to know how much I hate Windows 8?

DD is your friend. It can back up any kind of disk or partition. If you're lucky, you might even find a win32 port.

4. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

"I hate Windows 8 to the tune of just over £2,000 as that's what I've just dropped on a 27in iMac."

We stopped buying most of the flat-panel imacs due to an utterly shite reliability record (100% death rate over 4 years on 40 machines - mostly in year 4, outside the "extended warranty" period). Nice case but appalling thermal design.

5. OrsonX

So, how's the photo slideshow screensaver on your iMac?

[he says typing from his MBP, where it ain't working properly since ML]

3. jon 68
    Holmes

TIFKAM

I'd love to see where that came from originally.. what's the oldest version of it that you've seen?

1. Wensleydale Cheese

Re: TIFKAM

"I'd love to see where that came from originally.. what's the oldest version of it that you've seen?"

The Artist Formerly Known As Prince was my inspiration, and I found others had beaten me to it.

4. Vince

Failure / Supposition / Baseless waa waa here.

It's really getting a little dull all the "Windows 8 is a failure" nonsense - based on nothing of any meaningful substance.

Yes, it's different. That's right. Different. Because what worked in 2002 isn't working in modern IT. But if you stopped moaning for 5 seconds about the mildly different "start screen" part, there's little different in terms of "doing what you did before" - but there is a boatload of "can do more than you did before" stuff.

As someone who is ACTUALLY using Windows 8, in all its forms (eg Windows 8 RT on my Ideapad Yoga, Windows 8 Enterprise at work, and Win 8 Pro with media Pack at home), and with both touch and non-touch devices, I can't say I've had any real problems at all.

If anything life is easier now - my home PC and ideapad now share settings - so I setup my e-mail on one, and voila, both have it setup, my stuff is sync'd and shared quite nicely, even down to colour schemes. For work, I can use all the latest everything (and do, including Office 2013), but my old apps (even my preferred e-mail client that is really really really long in the tooth) work just like they did before.

So I've lost nothing, but gained a lot, and we're finding lots of customers adopting Windows 8 too (especially at home). I suspect Surface Pro will be popular in business, cause like, y'know, it's a tablet which is all the rage, but actually more like a laptop too, runs all the stuff you already have, want to run and know, but gives you the flexibility of tablet style use with the power of a normal laptop, and the ability to use it like one of those too. I can think of a zillion different use cases. For me, the yoga makes more sense - one device, multiple use options (tablet for sitting reading browsing, laptop for doing work, e-mail, intensive input stuff), and nothing is removable - plus I like the long battery life and lightweight etc of the RT Yoga.

I reckon with the right hardware options for your intended use, Windows 8 is ace.

1. hplasm
      Gimp

Re: Failure / Supposition / Baseless waa waa here.

And then you awoke, and the MS bag of gold was just a dream.

Sad.

2. Keep Refrigerated
      Angel

Wow, that read as a marketing piece. If you don't work for MS marketing, you should send them your comment because I'm sure they're spending a lot of money for fluff like that and be interested in negotiating a better rate with you.

If you do work for MS marketing then try harder, I suppose...

3. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

It can detect tachyon field emissions too!

4. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

You seem to be some kind of expert maybe you can help me out with something.

Is there any way to make those buttons any BIGGER? I'm having trouble finding my way around.

5. Jamie Jones Silver badge
      FAIL

" Because what worked in 2002 isn't working in modern IT."

Strangely enough, I have the same hands, fingers, and general motor-skills now that I had back in 2002.....

5. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Bought a Samsung Chromebook and it's brilliant...

It's also right at the top of Amazon's Best Sellers list, which may surprise many...

Windows 8/ Windows Phone 8/Surface/Zune/XBox/Kinnect all a massive string of disasters, how much longer can Microsoft continue to churn out crap?

6. Thorfkin

Windows Dominance

@Matt

I think your assertion that Microsoft needs to "Think differently" could be expanded on. The problem, as I see it, is that Microsoft tried to create an interface that works for both desktop and tablet computers rather than creating two separate interfaces optimized for each task. They should have provided a way to active switch between "Desktop Mode" and "Tablet Mode" with a clear desktop oriented interface based on what has worked historically for desktop mode and the new Notro interface for tablet mode. This would have made Windows 8 into an OS that could easily slot into a wider set of usage scenarios. Instead by trying to create this hybrid interface they've done the opposite, narrowing the effective usage scenarios.

Desktop users want a Desktop OS not a tablet OS and this new interface suits tablets to the exclusion of effective desktop use.

1. Will Godfrey Silver badge

Re: Windows Dominance

In a sense, I recon it could just be simplified to:

Microsoft needs to think.

... but personally, I hope they don't.

7. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Optional

Microsoft's problem is the same now as it always has been - they lack the ability to innovate.

The entire company is based upon the theft of others' work, abuse of its market position (or the purchase of smaller companies that do innovate.

QDOS, WIMPs, disk compression, PowerPoint, Access (R:Code), etc, etc, etc.

8. The BigYin

Give it time

Windows 8 will be in almost every home and office. Not out of choice, but due to the fact it's pre-installed and you have no choice. You will have Windows, and you will like it. Unless of course you are rich, in which case buy an Apple and enjoy a different walled garden.

1. William Donelson
      Go

Re: Give it time

No on ever considers "resale value" of Apple kit. I just sold an 8 year old PowerPC Mac for $400... Not bad!

Try that with an 8 year old PC.

9. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Phantom Windows 8 sales

I bought a new PC over Christmas and it came with Windows 8.

I bought it because the hardware was good for the price. But an OEM copy of Windows 7 went on it. So it never once actually booted Windows 8, despite it having Windows 8 stickers on the tower and registering as another happy Windows 8 user in Microsoft's sales books.

Am I alone? Unlikely. And what about all the people who keep Windows 8 because they can't justify the cost of a Windows 7 licence but install things like Classic Shell and tweak it to hell until it resembles Windows 7 as soon as it's out of the box? technically they're Windows 8 users and count toward the number of 'happy users', but in truth they've gone out of their way to make their PC effectively Windows 7, giving a big thumbs-down to Win8.

Seriously, MS have made a cottage industry out of the Start button. If that happens when you remove a feature, it's clear you've made a mistake and people are genuinely unhappy, rather than just moaning at change for the sake of it.

And removing DVD support was just a trick to save money. They know that most off-the-shelf PCs come bundled with some kind of DVD creation software that the manufacturer pays for, so why include their own licensed DVD software. Just leave it to the manufacturers to deal with, though don't lower the cost to them.

10. Acme Fixer

It's the Apps, Stupid!

People don't care about what operating system the thingy uses, all they want to do is get a job done, and be able to share what they do with others. if there's an app on iTunes or marketplace that does it, then they're happy. Corporate will succumb to this too, as soon as they realize that they can do it, too.

11. sam tapsell
    Linux

Cant stand microsoft, because...

I have long suspected the only people who like microsoft are people who profit from them. If my job depended on the success of microsoft, I would be getting behind microsoft too.

Sorry to those of you are invested in microsoft to support your family and pay your mortgage: a slow decline awaits.

As an end user, I cant stand microsoft. As a monopolist, they have spent years copying then destroying any threats. They did well in Office software, Browsers, Games consoles and of course Windows itself, but they have never failed to abuse their position, by charging huge amounts for what they delivered.

They have failed in Search, MP3 players and along into mobile. And worst of all, they failed by teaching their customers to hate them by their sharp operating.

Apple didn't want to do mobile (they were planning the iPad) but when they just realised the iPod would be destroyed by the next generations of mobile phones they switched attention to the iPhone. They destroyed iPod, along with nokia, RIM and others. They sucked away most of the profits in mobile, by making a device consumers enjoyed.

Next came the iPad.

Microsoft realised that its OS would lose relevance, as people innovated with tablets and mobiles. It has tried to take the same idea of truly innovating, but its too late. Windows 8 on a normal laptop is a mess, though I can see it might work with touch. If I wanted it.

But i'm very happy with apple and ubuntu now.

Microsoft could still earn a fortune in the coming decade by doing a competent job with Office, Windows and XBOX, I suspect they will blow most of their billions in trying to stay relevant and making bad purchases.

I wonder if developers out there are more excited by an ubuntu phone, than what windows phone bring next year? Maybe its just me...

1. Bob Vistakin
      Holmes

Re: Cant stand microsoft, because...

WP8 has shockingly tiny sales figures - it's entirely possible a Ubuntu handset would outsell it. And wouldn't that be lovely - it might even get Nokias attention, since as soon as that looked remotely possible Blamer and his trojan Flop would have both been given the boot by then, and an alternative would be needed.

Actually ... hey now there's a funny thing ... why suddenly the announcement of all these alternative mobile OS's - Tizen/Ubuntu/FirefoxOS etc? It's almost as if these are waiting for someone big to announce a major change in direction...

1. Philip Lewis
        Alert

Re: Cant stand microsoft, because...

Does Samsung's Bada still outsell it?

12. madmalc
    FAIL

All they need to do is put the start menu back on as standard

I would love Windows 8 with a start menu on a desktop or regular laptop, and I'd love it in native mode on a tablet. I shouldn't need to install 3rd party software to use it with a mouse

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: All they need to do is put the start menu back on as standard

Then stop paying attention to the nay-sayers who haven't even used Windows 8. It works just fine with a mouse, because it was designed to work with a mouse if there's one present.

1. madmalc
        Terminator

Re: All they need to do is put the start menu back on as standard

I have tried it on my Acer convertible tablet and, whilst its great in touch mode, it is cr*p with a mouse & keyboard

13. Mark 110

I quite like . . .

I quite like Windows 8 . . once you have everything to hand it works. Obfuscating the start menu seems a strange thing to do but life is much easier without it once you get your head around it.

I actually think it will work wonderfully on a tablet. A Windows 8 RT tablet is now on my shopping list as I think its gonna make a much better experience than an Andriod one (girlfriend has a Transformer).

Anyway - write Microsoft off at your peril - its not so long since Apple nearly went bust and Sony were top of the world.

1. Silverburn
      Facepalm

Re: I quite like . . .

Obfuscating the start menu seems a strange thing to do...

Possible replacements for "strange":

- Ludicrous

- Suicidal

- Insane

- stupid

- idiotic

- brainless

- arrogant

14. Kev99 Silver badge
    Thumb Down

What gets me is pretty much every PC manufacturer marches in lock-step with Microsoft when it comes to OS. Microsoft could come out with an OS powered by a drunk hamster and PC industry would be all over it. I've yet to see any review that finds the upgrade to Win8 worthwhile, even when preinstalled. And people seem to forget that with a touch screen you need to touch the screen with your dirty, greasy fingertips. How many screens will crap out because of this dirt or people trying to push thru the screen to the other side. I personally believe this is restraint of trade at its worse.

15. William Donelson
    FAIL

Windows pain pain pain

Windows is such a total pain, people are just finally feeling like they own Windows 7, somewhat. Moving to Windows 8 is like asking people who haven't slept in 40 hours to wake up and get out of bed and into another bed which is only slightly better.

Feck Off, they will say.

16. Arachnoid
    Thumb Down

Very nice.......now compare the sale price for comparable PC and Apple devices and equate it as a percentage of the purchase and get back to me if you still think you had a good deal.

1. sam tapsell
      Thumb Up

its not just a spec sheet

How about comparing the resale price 3 or 5 years later?

My iMac i am writing from is now >5y old. Still a great machine. Still valuable to me. If a product is enjoyed and used, the cost is OK and worth it to me.

2. This post has been deleted by its author

17. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Cannibalize your own market or someone will do it for you

Apple declined 6% in unit sales. Like Windows PC's 11% drop, that is likely because of people using tablets and smartphones for some of the tasks they used to use their Windows PC (or second PC) for. The sales decline for Macs hasn't hurt Apple, they're still raking it in with the sales of iPads. It does hurt Microsoft and Intel, because they aren't participating in the sales of tablets or smartphones to a degree that matters - certainly not enough to replace the sales they have lost and will continue to lose in greater numbers as the PC market continues its two year long decline.

Interesting that Apple saw a $100 increase in ASPs. That's almost certainly due to the product mix favoring the higher priced Retina Macbook. People like to complain about Apple's high prices, but Apple produced a product that's even MORE expensive, but obviously consumers believe the Retina screen and other features present on that model are worth the upcharge as they are buying it in great enough numbers to push up the ASP $100. PC OEMs would sell their firstborn for a $10 ASP increase, they can only dream about a $100 increase.

1. Daniel B.
      Boffin

As an MBP owner...

I think the Retina MacBooks are for posers and/or gamers. Maybe. I'd probably strike out gamers, because the Retinas aren't upgradable, and thus you can't up 'em to 16Gb like my non-Retina MBP. Apple can sell overpriced Retinas because people still drool at the fruity stuff and will spend $$$ if they can on that.

That said, regular, non-Retina MacBooks are pretty much worth their price. I do wish they had user-replaceable batteries, but on the rest, they're pretty much customizable. And even if a Mac is more expensive than a typical PC Laptop, knowing I am not paying the M$ tax is a huge plus for me!

Page:

This topic is closed for new posts.

Other stories you might like