back to article Microsoft pledges Linux boost for Windows Server and Center R2 duo

Microsoft has vowed Windows Server 2012 R2 and System Center 2012 R2 will be the “best” platform for running Linux in the cloud. Microsoft shops departing from the faith and running Linux will get a “consistent” experience on a par with its beloved Windows, Redmond promised. The software giant made the pledge to persuade …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.

Page:

1. launcap Silver badge
        FAIL

Re: No Linux SysAdmin will buy into this rubbish

>I think you've missed the point. Hyper-v is a hypervisor, it's also free. You don't need to install Windows in >order to use Hyper-v, although you can run it on top of a Windows

Hyper-V is part of Windows Server. You require Windows Server on the host in order to run Hyper-V.

1. El Andy

I think you've missed the point. There is a free standalone Hyper-V Server which you can use to run Linux guests at zero cost. In fact, the only reason to use a paid-for Windows Server licence for virtualization is to take advantage of the fact certain SKUs offer a number of free Windows licenses for guest OS's, which can confer significant savings in many scenarios.

2. Anonymous Coward
          Anonymous Coward

@Launcap - Right, I could accept you banging out about Hyper-v costing because it's part of Windows, as no-one has explicitly said that it isn't, up until now, but it you would have read the comment you quoted it explicitly says:

Hyper-v is a hypervisor, it's also free. You don't need to install Windows in order to use Hyper-v, although you can run it on top of....

3. Anonymous Coward
          Anonymous Coward

"Hyper-V is part of Windows Server. You require Windows Server on the host in order to run Hyper-V."

Hyper-V Server DOES NOT REQUIRE WINDOWS SERVER:

http://www.theregister.co.uk/2013/05/30/hyper_v_powershell_hands_on/

1. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Enough already

I have read all these comments and what I have learned so far is that:

Linux is better than Windows because its more reliable and doesn't need all those nasty reboots. The TCO for Linux is lower.

Windows is better than Linux because its more reliable and doesn't need all those nasty reboots. The TCO for Windows is lower.

People in Windows shops don't run Linux except when they do, and that is perfectly normal.

People won't use Hyper-V because of the licensing cost. Hyper-V is free.

Linux is also free except when its not.

It seems equivalent to:

My My Little Pony (tm) is better than your My Little Pony (tm) because its a nicer shade of pink and the yellow nylon tail is 0.004mm longer.

P.S. My My Little Pony (tm) does make purchasing decisions

1. TonyJ

Re: Enough already

More like 'My My little pony(tm)" is better than your 'Action Man(tm)' because it's different and I love it and yours blows. Nah nah nah.

At the end of the day, this is The Reg forums. It isn't the place for reasoned debate whereby both sides of the story let alone the facts ever get in the way of a good foaming rant!

Page:

This topic is closed for new posts.

Other stories you might like