back to article Microsoft haters: You gotta lop off a lot of legs to slay Ballmer's monster

Contrary to increasingly popular belief, Microsoft is not a “dead” company, nor at immediate risk of collapse. I do, however, believe that Microsoft’s “Windows on the endpoint” monopoly days have passed, that Microsoft’s senior management are aware of this and are actively taking steps to compensate. Similarly, I believe that …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.

Page:

1. Neil B
              Meh

Re: @NielB

@Trevor_Pott "Oh, and before you set about accusing me of being "anti-Microsoft", you should stop and think for a bit."

Don't lump me in with echo-chamber commentards, please. I tend to stop and think for a bit quite often, as it happens. The Reg itself works hard to see merit where merit is due, and that includes with MS. My comments are aimed at its community, not its authors.

Whenever I'm pro-MS it's in the interest of pointing out what I believe to be entirely unfair and, most often, ridiculously inaccurate statements made by posters on MS-related articles. I want balanced discussion, with people whose brains are engaged, not demented Eadon-wannabes who just waste everybody's time. If that's the nature of our community, as you say, then the people whose brains are engaged are eerily silent most of the time.

"Looks like people - just as with companies and most other things in life - just ain't so black and white as we'd like 'em to be, eh?"

I'm pretty sure you could be more patronising if you stopped and thought about it for a bit. You've sure made a lot of assumptions about me for someone lecturing about the grey area. Sheesh.

1. Trevor_Pott Gold badge

Fox News also says they feel the need for "balance". That's why they will give 85% of air time to the 2% of people disputing largely settled science, all while exclaiming that they are real news because they "ensure balance."

You'll forgive me if I don't give a bent fuck about balance; I care about the truth, and reality isn't balanced. Reality simply is, and it gives no fucks whatsoever about individual or group politics, hurt feelings or "balance".

So I calls 'em like I see's em, sirrah. If you come across as trowling lipstick onto something do not be shocked if I patronize, probably with a heap of sarcasm and possibly even using a thesaurus. Sorry mate, but I'm the dude way on the edge of the spinny bits, unbalancing the disk drive so I can get the storage rack to run in horizontal mode.

2. Miek
              Linux

"This is The Register; cynicism is the name of the game, and that means equal opportunity piss-taking." -- Absolutely.

1. Solmyr ibn Wali Barad

"Critical about MS, upvote /.../ Complements to MS go with accusations of being a shill"

Nope, not that simple. Seasoned folks have quite good bullshit detectors, fine-tuned with vast loads of the finest corporate manure. Rulesets are anything but simple.

Simplest possible advice - drop that egregious attitude.

1. Anonymous Coward
          Meh

The "John Doe" vote.

Uhhhhhh, sadly I'm pretty sure the AC poster is right in regards to overzealous posts about a specific OS. However, I feel a lot of that is due to how the articles are framed, and I'm sure we've all seen framed articles here (especially about MAC). But all in all, the AC is right. Just take a look around the threads, it is no mystery. However, there is some mystery being that most of them are posted as "Anonymous Coward".

Of course to me the real problem is that there is a voting/number system attached to human opinion. Then when you throw in anonymous votes, it just becomes a waste of bandwidth. Imagine the amount of fraud that would be presented if you could vote anonymously in real life, it would be horrendous! Typically, in some societies regardless of the type of government, identification is required to vote, and "Anonymous Coward" is no more identification than "John Doe".

Kill the voting system/device, or at least kill it for AC posters.

Re: The "John Doe" vote.

You still have to sign in to vote, so the system knows who you are and what you voted.

1. Anonymous Coward
              Coat

"...the system knows..." God Bless.

I hate to use politics as an example, but it fits. How many bills do you vote on without any names attached? How many people do you agree and disagree with that are nameless? How many people in technology do you agree or disagree with that are nameless? How about journalism? In general, how many writings do you vote on or agree with that are nameless?

There is many anonymous quotes and other writings that are brilliant, but those are diamonds in the rough. So with the AC system here, are we holding out for that diamond in the rough? A true leader?

BTW, if something is good because anonymous people say so, then I have 50,000 anonymous people that will vouch that this deed to the Brooklyn Bridge I have is rock solid. Shoot me an email with a bid, *NO RESERVE*...*TOP SELLER*

2. Anonymous Coward
            Anonymous Coward

Mmm, except you need to be logged in to vote, and the forum software records that you have voted for a post. About the only thing that isn't recorded is which way you voted, only the totals of up and down votes. So no, there's no such thing as voting as an "anonymous coward".

I'll admit to having an open-source bias for exactly the reason Trever puts it: Microsoft's attitude sucks harder than a vacuum digger. I try to be balanced in my criticisms. I lean towards the open-source side of the fence because I find where there is a technical limitation, I'm more able to fix it, given sufficient time to understand its code.

Any software not burned into a permanently-mounted ROM can be fixed. Software for which you have the sources is monumentally easier to fix than software you just have binaries for, this does not mean people don't try it. They do, but it isn't economic. I personally would rather spend my time fixing something that I have the sources for, than to try and pick apart some binary black box.

This is where I find myself avoiding Microsoft solutions — if my use case doesn't fit into their sometimes quite rigid design criteria, I'm stuffed. Their API seems to put to me an "us or them" proposition: Are you with us building Windows software, or are you with "them" POSIX-compliant platforms? So as a software developer, if I want to maximise my user base, I've got to weigh up using the subset of features available on both systems, versus locking out users from either of these two camps. The digital divide between Microsoft and the rest of the IT world couldn't be more vast, and my, the likes of Interix and Cygwin has all the security of a rope bridge strung across the Grand Canyon.

The lack of common ground between systems is just one area where Microsoft shows its arrogance. Look at Office OpenXML. Did they incorporate existing standards like SVG or CSS? No, they went the NIH route and invented new "standards", and gave attributes ambiguous names like "autoSpaceLikeWord95".

And then there's the licensing. In a BYOD world, why does Microsoft insist on making a standard Workstation version of Windows, and a hobbled consumer version? Why spend the extra time stripping the latter of functionality, only to upset users, have network admins tear their hair out and burden themselves with having to support yet another version of an OS? We might have kept our only Windows 8 installation at work, if it had a domain logon client, then the sales stats might actually mean something!

What difference does it make if I have 1 remote desktop user, or 10 if the hardware can support it? Or 5 SQL clients making queries, versus 50? Some limitations are put on software for technical issues, but a lot are just purely artificial. 4GB limit on a database you say? If I pay for a license, does that suddenly make file position pointers grow an extra 32-bits or were they 64-bit to begin with and just ANDed with 0x00000000ffffffff?

This, is exactly the sort of arrogance that gets right up my nose. I don't like it in open-source projects either, but there I'm at least empowered to fix these limitations, we're not stuck with the "my way or the high way". Don't like where they put (or didn't put) the launch button? Keep your apps and just move to a different desktop. KDE and Gnome apps work just fine on other window managers, I use FVWM myself. Try that on MacOS X or Windows: on Windows yes you can replace the shell, but there's only so much it can "fix".

Want a heavily cut down OS to do one task and one task only? You've got it. Learn the art of debootstrap, catalyst or BitBake and you're away. The competition at the minimum forces on you a standard desktop and a web browser, even if your application will run kiosk-mode or headless and never use it. Desktops furthermore get abused as a place to run "servers". (yes, Rekon Accounts, CET PecStar, I'm looking at you! This is how you write a server for Windows. You don't see Microsoft Exchange or IIS running on the desktop!) Good news that Server 2012 makes the desktop optional.

Anyway, I think I've laboured the point long enough. No community is immune from a certain level of arrogance. Microsoft and open-source projects are no exception. I think this arrogance is a bigger factor in people downvoting pro-Microsoft or anti-Linux posts. There are places where brickbats are deserved on both sides, and I'll deliver bouquet's where I think they're deserved too.

1. TheOtherHobbes

"Microsoft is not only gunning for the cable networks here, but ultimately could well spawn its own content production network challenging the likes of Disney, Fox and Warner Brothers."

MSNBC ended a while back. It's not clear what MS was contributing to that particular partnership, beyond - perhaps - pushing for HD.

The idea that MS has what it takes to create a media production empire is risible.

In any case, the real challengers are going to be Amazon and Google, just as elsewhere.

At some point someone - probably Amazon - is going to open up content production and distribution to the masses. Google already does a bit of this, but once someone makes it more of a feature and less of an accessory the old content houses are going to find themselves dealing with issues they weren't expecting to have.

2. Roger Greenwood
    Mushroom

Conflicted

Part of me is fed up with the arrogance of MS (and partners) telling me products have "retired" when we still use and need them, so I want them taken down a peg or two.

Another part of me likes the idea of a simple OS that I can get loads of applications for, that will work well and work together, so I want Windows to still be available.

Thank goodness I am not Bomb #20.

Thanks Trevor for yet another excellent article.

3. Anonymous Coward
    Stop

Missing the bigger picture?

"The truth is that Microsoft can't keep us all happy."

Normally I'd believe that.

However, I think the author is missing or ignoring the bigger picture here. Because one can only acknowledge that it has become "awkward" to say the least that the feeling of dislike is happening all over the place as of late. And if you look at the hard numbers and the way Microsoft has been acting I think there's no denying the issue at hand. This isn't about a few people disliking Microsoft any more.

Lets go non-tech: Gamers. A lot of XBox fans have been in high expectation of the XBox one, and hardly anyone liked it. The dislike spread so deep and wide that Microsoft eventually reversed some of their plans. I highly doubt that they'd go that far if we were talking about "some dislikes" here. But most gamers aren't stupid; they know that unwanted changes can occur after purchase as well, that has now become a big liability for the future of the XBox.

And speaking of Windows 8: surely the extremely disappointing sale numbers say something here?

Sure; let's go modern as well. Cloud you say? When talking "developers, developers" then Microsoft is putting a lot of effort in pushing Visual Studio 2012 forwards. The only problem is that most die-hard Microsoft developers would rather stay on 2010. And instead of acknowledging the whole problem (which, in all fairness, Microsoft has partly done) they're now getting ready for the next Visual Studio version.

Systems engineers? Microsoft whacked TechNet and you can already see some of the impact because of it.

Microsoft has shown a very weird tendency as of late to piss off a lot of their customers, developers and even their fanbase alike. Sure you won't see the effect of those actions the very next day, if you think that Microsoft would be out of business in a few months if those actions were really bad then you're a fool. Changes like that don't go that fast.

But that also doesn't mean that the problem isn't there either.

Surely it's not that hard to realize that if you're losing a monopoly position then the last thing you should do is piss off all the people who actually liked your products?

1. tmcd35

Re: Missing the bigger picture?

I posted this somewhere else recently, seems apt here...

I'm all for diversity but Microsoft appear to have both forgotten who their core customer are and are now fighting too many battles across too many fronts.

For years MS's primary focus has been shifting copies of Office. Even selling Windows to a greater or lesser extent was ultimately about shifting Office licenses. It's this lock-in that captured the SBE space for them and it's this core business they should be fighting for fiercely. Instead they appear to be ignoring/taking these customers for granted and focus their efforts of fighting numerous bush fires.

Just who are MS's competition? Is it Google/Apple in the mobile space? Is Sony/Apple in the living room? Is it Google/Yahoo in the web space? Oracle/VMWare in the server room? Amazon in the Cloud? Most of the time they look like they want to be Apple, the rest of the time the want to be Google. What they need to do is focus on being Microsoft.

I read this somewhere else recently and am beginning to agree - Microsoft should have broken their business up in to smaller concerns years ago.

1. P. Lee

Re: Missing the bigger picture?

> Just who are MS's competition?

Anyone who can creep into their space. Monopolies generate massive profits and those attract competition. That means that Google Docs is competition, because they can do desktop-independent apps. Android is competition because that brings ARM mobile, which begets ARM server and ARM desktop with a cross-platform Linux or Android, not Win32 API. OSX is competition because the Director's Mac Air brings in BYOD and other non-windows desktop infrastructure leading to OS-independent Apps and infrastructure. Amazon is competition because they offer cheap always-on, low-power systems which is much of what companies use and they offer it with global reach. VMware are competition not just for hyper-v, but because the thin server infrastructure brings in linux skills to the data center. When scaling out, licensing costs become obvious and as data centres grow under hardware consolidation, the pressure to move to cheaper options increases while the web interface removes the UI/OS-specific skill requirements.

Defending a monopoly, it isn't really about competing with other products, its about killing interoperability so that other ecosystems can't get a foothold. Eventually, however, the profits to be made / costs to be saved become too much and the monopoly crumbles. Small competitors can be crushed or bought but well funded competitors bringing money from other markets (search, mobile) with little existing investment in the status quo are difficult to combat.

2. Trevor_Pott Gold badge

@ShelLuser

Agree entirely. Did you miss the end of the article where I talked about how in order to survive MS have to figure out how to engage with the community? I maintain that they can't keep us all happy, but they are doing such a terrible job keeping any of us happy that I believe this is their moment of vulnerability. There are ways that Microsoft could address the issues, changes in products, licensing and culture that could ensure a stable, strong Microsoft for decades. Similarly, if you're an MS competitor there are ways to capitalize on all of this to steal some very serious market share from MS.

Damned if I'll tell what they are without a fat cheque though. :)

4. Flocke Kroes Silver badge

Time won't be enough

Breaking down the warring fiefdom culture of Microsoft on a wider scale will take time, but if they succeed then great things could happen.

Breaking down the warring fiefdom culture of Microsoft on a wider scale will take a miracle. Ballmer's proposed reorganisation to functional rather than product based units has been tried before elsewhere. Previous attempts have almost always been hamstrung by resistance from existing management. The few times functional reorganisation has worked, it was because the CEO could take the credit for an exceptionally successful product. Ballmer does not have the track record to push fundamental changes through a dense wall recalcitrant managers.

5. Fihart

Another Win8 and they're gone.

If my experience trying to help a friend battle with Win8 is typical, a lot more people will be choosing Apple laptops right now.

6. Jemma

To paraphrase Karrde & Gillespee..

I personally dont happen to think the world should run on Dumb Terminals.. And if it did, I sure as hell wouldnt put Google in charge of them..!

What is it with the human race? We seem to go round in circles more times than a brain damaged bovine. Not to mention the fact that the 'tech' companies seem to be using back issues of BOFH for product advice.

M$ might create software that goes down more often than a DWP database, is flakier than a lepers crotch, and has more patches than a porcupines undies but at least it still has an inkling of the words customer & privacy. I never thought I'd be saying I trusted M$ on that of all things. There are alot of people who wont touch Chrome with someone elses bargepole - especially in a business environment - me included and with good reason - its like running your remote dialup using the password 'password' for everyone, all 50 of them, when you're the Japanese agent for Bentley, Rolls, Maserati et al... Have our 'free' OS... (30 seconds later) oh you mean a patent meant we couldnt accidently snarf that design and accidently add it to your competitors docs account -or- oops there were only 3 million customers who relied on that free feature so we killed it (strange how they were all on M$ OS or Symbian)...

As for Ballmer people are abusing him because he's the biggest bloody idiot of this or any other age, he's only rivalled by Elop-bey (in the same way as Webber 'rivals' Vettel). To him competance is like Arianism to the early Church... Something to be wiped out wherever it is found. In every single field of endeavor he's tried to create a gold plated fuck up and he's generally succeeded. Gaming? I know! Always on internet, DRM that would give Reinhard Heydrich orgasms... Mobiles? An OS that weeps in the corner when it compares its feature set with a Nokia 6310i, not to mention alienating every poor sod & sod-ette who bought 7.xx. Desktop OS... Enough said... The only reason people use the word idiot to describe him is that an adequate word has yet to be invented

1. Solmyr ibn Wali Barad

Re: To paraphrase Karrde & Gillespee..

"What is it with the human race? We seem to go round in circles more times than a brain damaged bovine."

Actually, it's more like a spiral. From certain point of view, it may look like a circle, but not quite.

Most of the progress is made like this. Yes, we're coming back at the same idea, but now we're armed with a wider choice of tools, and can implement this idea on a different level of quality.

Now whether this particular spiral is leading upwards or downwards...

2. John Smith 19 Gold badge
      Happy

Re: To paraphrase Karrde & Gillespee..

True.

But watch him dance.

7. Dan 55 Silver badge

"Microsoft’s senior management are aware of this and are actively taking steps to compensate"

Microsoft are entirely responsible for the problem in the first place, there was no need to make Windows some over-arching OS covering desktop and touch devices. Desktop Windows could have run Metro apps in a window yet not have the rest of the Start Screen/TIFKAM nonsense, Windows RT could have been called Windows Touch where the Start Screen is somewhat acceptable, all three OSes (Windows, Touch, and Phone) could have taken you to the same Microsoft app store. Practically the same yet people aren't annoyed because they know exactly they're getting.

8. Alister

We all like to moan about and abuse Microsoft, but until recently there really hasn't been a viable alternative to Active Directory for centralised user management which integrates with shared resources, email accounts etc.

That coupled with the fact that if you wanted to do business with other companies, you had to be able to create, edit and access Microsoft's file formats, meant that in practice, however much you may have disliked Microsoft, you had to use their products to function as a business.

However, as more and more of the day-to-day functionality is transferred to the "cloud", the less is the need for the old centralised philosophy and therefore the less is the need for reliance on Microsoft products.

1. Roo
      Boffin

Re: Alister @ 29/Jul 12:39

"there really hasn't been a viable alternative to Active Directory for centralised user management"...

I'm guessing that the word "viable" means "comes from Microsoft and works exactly like Active Directory) because that statement is only true if you confine your search to products in Microsoft's catalogue.

Back in '91 I used to login via Sun's NIS/Yellow Pages, so it's pretty clear to me at least there were viable products out there many years before Active Directory. AD is underpinned by some of the precursors in any case - Kerberos and LDAP for example.

"However, as more and more of the day-to-day functionality is transferred to the "cloud", the less is the need for the old centralised philosophy"

Wrong. The cloud vendors will need that stuff because all that's happened is that you've outsourced your IT Dept to the Cloud vendor. Good luck switching vendors a few years down the line, or retraining everyone when the vendor decides to change or discontinue the services you are relying on.

2. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

"until recently there really hasn't been a viable alternative to Active Directory for centralised user management which integrates with shared resources, email accounts etc."

What is this recent miracle invention?

9. darklordsid

Don't underestimate the power of Ballmer in sinking the Metranic...

10. Captain Queeg

Authors of their own downfall

Unfortunately what will break Microsoft will be a failure to develop markets and execute strategy effectively, on time and to a business case.

This isn't a criticism of MS, but historically, given the Desktop monopoly, (which they built in the same way Google are building the coming Android monopoly - by providing consistency and a brand for struggling manufacturers) MS have been able to use the cash cows of Windows and Office to allow them to undercut and destroy competitors. I.E. Novel, Netscape, etc. etc.

This model seems to have become the only one that MS understand and it feels like they're not capable of delivering anything with reference to a positive business case. The ability to write down cost against the cash cows means XBox is considered a success but had it been standing on it's own two feet it would never have made the grade.

Diversification is absolutely the right strategy for MS, but until they learn how to be able to develop an idea of its own merits that stands comparison with it's peers without subsidy, they'll keep having to rely on the shrinking businesses to bankroll the success. And unfortunately those cash generating businesses margins are coming under more and more pressure.

My view is that MS need to do something compelling within 3-4 years (more or less next week in strategic terms!) or their long term fate is sealed as a server company.

11. Prowler
    Alien

Article is missing the real point

All this stuff about "desktop" is where everyone is getting confused. Try using the word "workstation" operating system, the whole point of the PC personal computer in the first place. What we have now is the inevitable return to client-server methodology with the cloud. It is "inevitable" because companies and governments can regain control of the landscape from the PC monster and the independence it brings. It also happens to be the low hanging fruit, less work for Big Tech corporations like Microsoft. In short, they are simply lazy.

Microsoft is fully capable of writing a separate SKU for Workstations ( sometimes-connected standalone Home PC's ), Lord knows they flood the market with countless SKU versions as a rule. The question the author completely missed is why not continue doing it now rather than make one OS for everything? The answer is that Microsoft is making a cynical move on those billions of PC's that THEY DO NOT OWN, computers built by others that run Microsoft software. One these PC's and laptops Microsoft is the 3rd party, supplying the operating system installed on at the factory to the exclusion of everyone else. Their move is to rope them into the Windows walled-garden and shows a company clearly reverting to the monopolistic practices that almost got them broken up over.

12. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Game Over.

Windows is no longer the dominant OS. Android is.

Nobody buys PC's anymore, it's all about phones and tablets. There are more Android powered devices than there are Windows PC's

Microsoft are nowhere in this market, living in the sub 2% "also ran" category.

1. tmcd35

Re: Game Over.

Alas, It seems MS actually believe this "no one buy's PC's anymore" BS. Would explain a lot about Window 8/Phone/Xbox/etc.

Remember - phones and tablets are great, until you want to write a letter and print it... (or code, or edit media, or manage a database, or ...)

The traditional PC (defined by a keyboard and mouse, be it a fixed workstation or a notebook) is no more going away than mainframes did. That said, what was once "virtually every endpoint that users used to interact with data" is now less than 35% of the market. Bear in mind that "the endpoint market" is also far bigger now than back when PCs ruled.

Millions upon millions of PCs will continue to be shipped for at least the next decade. Probably longer. That said, they will become ever more niche as "workstation"-class tasks become the minority of human interfaces with data. (The majority being the consumption of data by humans for various reasons rather than the creation or curation of said data.)

Another way of looking at it would be that tablets and mobiles are not displacing the traditional PC so much as replacing the "dumb" televisions, radios and newspapers that were the traditional data consumption methods used during and prior to the PC-dominant era. The difference today is that instead of using PCs to create and curate content for this "old media," we're doing so for "smart" devices that are proper computers in their own right.

The line between content creation, content curation and content consumption devices has blurred almost into insignificance and will continue to do so. The problem for Microsoft is that it only "owns" the traditional PC market; a shrinking piece of the pie as these new "smart" consumption devices gain creation and curation capabilities in their own right.

2. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

"Microsoft are nowhere in this market, living in the sub 2% "also ran" category."

Actually Microsoft went from 0 to over 7.5% in 6 months on tablets.

Windows Phone also just hit nearly 9% of sales in the UK (over double Blackberry)

Microsoft are going to be taking big chunks of the current Android market.....They do after all have a much more powerful and secure OS to tackle it with. I can't see sign of Android catching up on those areas anytime soon.

1. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

Stop looking at cherrypicked stats. Globally Microsoft marketshare is 3% on phones (and dropping) and 1% on tablets (and that consists of firesale and eval units).

1. Anonymous Coward
          Anonymous Coward

http://winsupersite.com/windows-8/report-windows-8-secures-75-percent-tablet-market

http://venturebeat.com/2013/05/16/windows-phone-jumps-to-third-in-global-smartphone-market-share-and-could-be-second-faster-than-you-think/

3.2% global share for Windows Phone - which makes them third above Blackberry - and growing rapidly....

2. Trevor_Pott Gold badge

Microsoft is strongest in the UK for phones - by far - when compared to any other region. Interestingly enough, so is Blackberry. What's more interesting is that you are comparing Microsoft's UK market share to Blackberry's GLOBAL market share to get your numbers.

You are also spreading utter FUD with your bullshit with your "more powerful and secure OS to tackle it with". This is an outright lie.

If you compare Windows Phone to ANdroid Froyo or Gingerbread you might have a point. Maybe. On the other hand, Microsoft's market share is so insignificant they aren't a target for malware or hacks. Yet they still fall regularly during any concerted attempt to hack the OS.

It's just that in the real world nobody gives a bent fuck about Windows Phone so nobody bothers putting effort into compromising it. Should it ever become relevant, it will end up as riddled with compromises as the desktop version. Likely through that festering wound called "Internet Explorer." Just as on the desktop.

1. Anonymous Coward
          Anonymous Coward

"What's more interesting is that you are comparing Microsoft's UK market share to Blackberry's GLOBAL market share to get your numbers."

Nope. http://wmpoweruser.com/latest-kantar-numbers-for-june-shows-windows-phone-holding-8-1-of-uk-market-blackberry-still-fading-fast/

13. Maharg

Transit Vans

Using the car analogy, sure I know how to drive, I do a lot of it, but I would not say I have more than a ‘basic’ understanding of how it works, which is the same as the ‘average’ PC user.

I know the right sequence of actions to perform to make the car move forwards and backwards, and at varying speeds, as well as change its direction, work the lights, radio windscreen wipers, I even know how to change a tyre, as well as a host of other things like changing oil and filling up with fuel to operate it and do so in a safe manner.

That is the basic knowledge, and that is all I need it to do.

90% of people who use a computer know how to do the equivalent, as what I described, it is a tool, they need to know how to turn it on, type, use a mouse, construct and send an email, browse the internet, fill in online forms, use Word and Excel, insert a device in and use it to print, scan a photo, store information or play a game or music as well as a host of other things, but they still don’t need to know how it works.

Trying to convince people not to use Microsoft is like trying to convince me that I should have a Transit van instead of a car, after all in a Transit you sit higher up and see more of the road, there is much more space to store things in the back, the fuel consumption is better, the side mirrors are bigger and you get two on each side so I can see more around me, there is more places to put drinks and the glove box is huge, the engine is bigger and the whole thing is stronger, tougher and al round more useful than a car, hell, even the wheels are bigger! I can’t think of a single thing my car has that is not in a transit.

Logically we should all be driving transit vans to and from work, so why don’t we? Is it because we are ignorant? Lazy?

Or is it because for what we need a car is the simplest, most comfortable and for 90% of us a van is just unnecessary?

1. Roo
      Angel

Re: Transit Vans

Poor analogy that misses a rather important point.

With stuff like Apple/Microsoft UIs there is only so much people can do to clone them before they get their product forcibly removed the market place / fined to penury / jailed. Patents are the electric fences that keeps the herd of users in the pen, ready for slaughter/milking by the vendor.

You sound like someone turning down a McLaren MP4-12C on the grounds that it doesn't have a stick shift like your beloved Datsun Cherry rust bucket.

Leaving the pen can be difficult and painful but you will have to eventually because vendors kill products, including your favourites. :)

14. John Smith 19 Gold badge
    Alien

A message to all commentards

I find your lack of faith in our future survival and growth disturbing....

The power of your comments is as nothing compared to the vast size of our cash mountain..

(signed) Steve Darth Ballmer.

15. Mr. Peterson

"the inner layers of Microsoft’s management structure are heavily insulated from criticism"

hope I live long enough to experience the emergence of the next Alex St. John within MS

16. Peter Johnston 1

Community Engagement will never happen while Ballmer's in Charge

I remember the OS wars with Apple. Apple updated the OS every year or so and charged for the update, dressing it up as a major move forward. Microsoft gave it away for free and took the flak for "another bleeding bug fix". Game to Apple - and a healthy revenue boost too.

The problem at Microsoft is in the negative customer connection.

They've never addressed the "We hate Microsoft". Or counteracted the "Think Different" image of boring.

People don't show off their Microsoft product to their friends. People have no good feelings towards Microsoft. If something goes wrong they assume it is Microsoft's fault. And that they won't help fix it.

This is reinforced by Ballmer's mindset. He is old fashioned Command and Control personified.

Microsoft tells us what to do and we don't like that.

This is important. It turns successes into failures.

This is the fatal wound. It is bleeding Microsoft to death in the B2C space and increasingly in B2B too.

17. launcap Silver badge

It's all in the brand..

As other have said, Microsoft/Steve B seem obsessed about 'the brand' - hence you get Windows RT (can't run regular Windows stuff), Windows Phone 8 (can't run regular Windows stuff) and regular Windows (15 flavours, prices variable depending on how much Microsoft think they can charge you) which can run some stuff but not others (and in a corporate context have gradually shifted the licensing goals - the result of which is that we are actively thinking of migrating our in-house SQL Server stuff to postgres running under Linux (CentOS 6.4 most likely)).

The *Brand* ruled everything. And everything had to be tied in to what the Marketing types had assumed would make positive brand associations (ignoring the fact that, for a lot of people, MS Windows isn't a positive brand association at all).

So you have an artificial tying of everything to the Windows brand, creating confusion and uncertainty. Apple got round that by *not* selling the iPhone as "OS X for Phones" (packaged it as something new even though it shares a good deal with OS X), Google got round it by not selling Android as "Linux for Phones". They both had a clue.

Microsoft? Not so much.

1. Mikel

"Branded"

This is a movie out recently (2012) that covers this delightfully well. Available on Netflix. IMDB only gives it 2 stars as a sci-fi drama, but as a documentary it is worth more.

18. Anonymous Coward
    FAIL

Where's the Eadon post?

About Microsoft FAIL FAIL?

1. Jemma

Re: Where's the Eadon post?

He was strung up for crimes against commentards, inciting total (flame) war & (constant & deliberate) whining with intent to nauseate. Couldn't happen to a nicer chap..

Tvtropes would probably call it dropping a Ballmer...

19. Trokair 1

Easy

Bing already has all of my search buisness and they got it fairly easy. They will literally pay you with gift cards to get your searches. Sure, it may take a month or two to add up to the $5 gift card but that is still $5 more than Google has given me. They are both feeding me ads and recording my activity so I should at least get paid a bit for it.

1. hplasm
      Windows

Re: Easy

Easy.

Yes, you are.

20. Mikel

Why slay his monster?

As long as he is leading it in circles neither is any danger.

21. John Smith 19 Gold badge
    Unhappy

Sorry folks but we *have* been here before. Repeatedly.

Yes it might be wounded.

But once an organization grows beyond a certain size as long as it retains a small core of staff who know WTF they are doing it can persist almost indefinitely despite the rampant stupidity of even Board level management.

Like "Boris the Blade" in the film "Snatch" they just won't lay down and die.

Would a MS free world be a better place? Depends if they shredded all the file format details as a final "F**k you" to their customers I think.

Re: Sorry folks but we *have* been here before. Repeatedly.

And? Novell is still technically a going concern. For that matter Sco is still filing lawsuits.

Microsoft being "alive" and Microsoft being an unchangeable technology superpower are two totally different things. Microsoft has the option right now, today, to choose between the two paths.

On the one hand, they onboard someone at an executive level with real authority to make changes and they start down the long road to redemption and customer engagement. It will be bitter, hard and filled with a lot of bile internally...but it would ultimately lead to a massive and incredibly loyal fanbase in all the different communities that are relevant to ongoing operations. In this scenario Microsoft evolves into an unchangeable superpower and retains the status for decades.

On the other hand they can continue to believe that they can simply dictate how we will use technology, when, where and why. They will alienate quite literally everyone at some point using this strategy and will do nothing to redeem themselves to those they've alienated. This will lead to mass customer exodus as "best of breed technology" is simple "not enough" for more and more people. The empire will slowly crumble into obscurity, though it takes decades to do so.

Were Microsoft existing in a vacuum then they could cling to their userbase simply out of inertia for another 10 years all the while abusing them rapidly. They wouldn't have to worry about reputation, enmity or the magnification effects of social media because their users simply would have no alternative except to go build their own software.

Of course, Microsoft doesn't exist in a vacuum. It's competitors are aware of this and they will put significant resources into accelerating the latter scenario. I can think of about a dozen fairly cheap ways to really stick it to Microsoft and do disproportionate amounts of damage. If I can, others can as well.

Credible alternatives to most Microsoft products exist with more being created each year. The competition doesn't need to become a monopoly and block replace Microsoft to win; they simply need to whittle away market share to the point that Microsoft is no longer dominant. At that point, Microsoft has to compete...

...and competing against companies with rapid, loyal communities built around them is really hard when your customers hat the ever-loving shit out of you.

22. N2

Unless

Microsoft realise they can no longer charge top book prices for software that is varying between complete crap & half decent then they are doomed.

However, I for one wouldn't even notice their fall, to me they are somewhat irrelevant.

23. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

The Xbox One ..

I think Microsoft were/are betting a lot on the Xbox One. Once they achieve preeminence in the living room, the rest will follow, One Xbox to rule them all, even if it does take eight cores and three OSes.

Page:

This topic is closed for new posts.

Other stories you might like